Criterion and Warner Bros.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

Re: Criterion and Warner Bros.

#626 Post by Omensetter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:16 am

They've maintained a consistent pace of roughly one title per month since September 2016. For some reason, I expected Ambersons later, but it seems the best candidate to be announced for November, probably at #900.

09/16 --- Cat People
10/16 --- McCabe & Mrs. Miller
11/16 --- Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
12/16 --- The Asphalt Jungle
02/17 --- Before Sunrise / Mildred Pierce
03/17 --- Blowup
04/17 --- Woman of the Year
06/17 --- They Live by Night
07/17 --- Lost in America
08/17 --- The Breaking Point
10/17 --- Barry Lyndon

Robespierre

#627 Post by Robespierre » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:57 pm

Any chances of Gun Crazy entering the collection at some point? I think the old Warner's DVD is OOP and it seems like it'd fit right into CC considering they have already released They Live by Night, In a Lonely Place, Mildred Pierce, etc.

kcota17

#628 Post by kcota17 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:01 pm

I can't imagine Criterion not getting that one. Besides huge WB staple titles, it seems Criterion can pretty much get anything they want from them now.

Which means we can probably expect:
Lolita
Gun Crazy
Bringing Up Baby
I Was a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
Baby Face
The Shop Around the Corner
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (both versions maybe)
The Thing from Another World

Some Astaire-Rogers films (or at least just either Top Hat or Swing Time)

And if they're interested:
The Fountain

and cmon, Criterion will most likely be the ones to eventually release the silents whenever those are ready.

The only questionable one is The Devils, which I remains optimistic in that Criterion will be able to release the full uncut version. But we'll see.

FrauBlucher

#629 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:03 pm

The idea about The Thing from Another World being released by CC is interesting. You know Warners would have loved to released this on bluray but the elements are in awful condition. Not sure Criterion could do any more than WB but you never know.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#630 Post by swo17 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:09 pm

The WB library is immense. Cherry picking which ones Criterion is likely to favor seems like a fool's errand.

okcmaxk

#631 Post by okcmaxk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 pm

I think After Hours is going to be released by Criterion soon. You'd think Warner Archive would've already released it on Blu-ray, but considering that Scorsese has a history of partnering with Criterion with releasing The Last Temptation of Christ and various interviews and restorations by The Film Foundation, I'd think he would have a say in who gets to release After Hours.

Robespierre

#632 Post by Robespierre » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:17 am

I don't think Scorsese has as much pull over who can release his films like James Cameron does. If WB owns a film, like After Hours, they can pretty much decide to who they licence it out to, not Scorsese.

Malickite

#633 Post by Malickite » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:01 am

Robespierre wrote:I don't think Scorsese has as much pull over who can release his films like James Cameron does. If WB owns a film, like After Hours, they can pretty much decide to who they licence it out to, not Scorsese.
I don't know. I think Malick insisting that Criterion gets Badlands had something to do with it.

Noiradelic

#634 Post by Noiradelic » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:00 am

kcota17 wrote:Which means we can probably expect:
Lolita
Gun Crazy
Bringing Up Baby
I Was a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
Baby Face
The Shop Around the Corner
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (both versions maybe)
The Thing from Another World

Some Astaire-Rogers films (or at least just either Top Hat or Swing Time)

The Fountain
Gun Crazy could just as easily be released by Warner Archive. They put out On Dangerous Ground, Murder, My Sweet and Out of the Past.

Lolita's a pretty safe bet and Bringing Up Baby feels right, but overall who can say what Criterion will release and what WAC will?

Costa

#635 Post by Costa » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:14 am

I hope they release The Shining too.
I have held off too long buying this film.

Big Ben

#636 Post by Big Ben » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:37 am

kcota17 wrote: The only questionable one is The Devils, which I remains optimistic in that Criterion will be able to release the full uncut version. But we'll see.
The Devils in it's Uncut Director's Cut would be a prize for any distributor. It's something that continues to boggle my mind. So many individuals would be willing to jump at the chance to help get it released and I'm more than certain it would sell based on reputation alone. But to this day it spooks Warner Brothers so much they just won't let it go. It certainly earns it's rating but it's nowhere near as bad as anything released today. The mind boggles at the rationale keeping this away from release.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#637 Post by tenia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:21 am

I'm wondering if The Devils uncut would actually be a big seller considering the current physical market.
It'd probably sell more than, say, Valerie and her week of wonders, but that probably doesn't mean much in terms of sales volume.

senseabove

#638 Post by senseabove » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:13 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Was wondering what was left from the initial group of WB oop titles that were speculated to be heading to Criterion. Ian's post was from November of 2014 (page 15)
ianungstad wrote:About a week ago Warner Brothers discontinued a number of Archive releases that generated some speculation that they may have been licensed to Criterion including:

Dreams (Akira Kurosawa)
Blow Up (Michelangelo Antonioni)
The Breaking Point (Michael Curtiz)
Barcelona (Whit Stillman)

The OOP list this week has a few more Warner titles that seem like they may go to Criterion:

Magnificent Ambersons (Orson Welles)
The Asphalt Jungle (John Huston)
A Face in the Crowd (Elia Kazan)
Klute (Alan Pakula)
Day for Night (Francois Truffaut)
Before Sunset (Richard Linklater)
Cat People (Jacques Tourneur) Both the individual Cat People and the Val Lewton box are officially discontinued this week.
Before Sunrise (Richard Linklater)
The only titles left from this list. Ambersons, Klute and A Face in the Crowd.
The rest of the Lewton box would be nice. I'd sure love releases of The Seventh Victim and Isle of the Dead especially, and I still need to see Ghost Ship or Curse of the Cat People.

knives

#639 Post by knives » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Or the unreleased Lewton's.

CantelopeSkiz

#640 Post by CantelopeSkiz » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:17 pm

senseabove wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:Was wondering what was left from the initial group of WB oop titles that were speculated to be heading to Criterion. Ian's post was from November of 2014 (page 15)
ianungstad wrote:About a week ago Warner Brothers discontinued a number of Archive releases that generated some speculation that they may have been licensed to Criterion including:

Dreams (Akira Kurosawa)
Blow Up (Michelangelo Antonioni)
The Breaking Point (Michael Curtiz)
Barcelona (Whit Stillman)

The OOP list this week has a few more Warner titles that seem like they may go to Criterion:

Magnificent Ambersons (Orson Welles)
The Asphalt Jungle (John Huston)
A Face in the Crowd (Elia Kazan)
Klute (Alan Pakula)
Day for Night (Francois Truffaut)
Before Sunset (Richard Linklater)
Cat People (Jacques Tourneur) Both the individual Cat People and the Val Lewton box are officially discontinued this week.
Before Sunrise (Richard Linklater)
The only titles left from this list. Ambersons, Klute and A Face in the Crowd.
The rest of the Lewton box would be nice. I'd sure love releases of The Seventh Victim and Isle of the Dead especially, and I still need to see Ghost Ship or Curse of the Cat People.
You won't need Criterion to see either Isle of the Dead or The Ghost Ship. They were each released on separate a double pack by Warner Archive last year. The Ghost Ship was released with The Leopard Man, and Isle of the Dead was released with Bedlam. This leaves I Walked Without a Zombie, The Curse of the Cat People, The Seventh Victim, and The Body Snatcher without a current release. I'd also be happy to see somebody release his production of Mademoiselle Fifi

Gregory

#641 Post by Gregory » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:05 pm

I'd definitely be in for I Walked Without a Zombie plus I Wasn't a Fugitive from a Chain Gang and Gun Cautious and Reasonable.

dwk

#642 Post by dwk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:48 pm

dwk wrote:Someone at the Blu-ray.com forum posted a list of WB titles, some already licensed to Criterion, that were recently listed on WB's press site as being OOP. These could be headed to Warner Archive, but, if I'm not mistaken, some have been rumored Criterion titles:
Round Midnight
The Roaring Twenties
The Philadelphia Story
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
O Lucky Man
Lone Star
Hedwig & The Angry Inch
Captain Blood
Bringing Up Baby
Arsenic and Old Lace
Mean Streets
Barry Lyndon
Two titles from this batch of OOP WB titles (one announced and one hinted at in the newsletter) have landed at Criterion, so I'm now convinced that these are the ones we'll be getting over the next year or two.

vidussoni

#643 Post by vidussoni » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Scarecrow and Death in Venice have also been discontinued! I'm not sure how reliable dvdlist.kazart is though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#644 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:37 pm

So, so many Warner titles are OOP to be eventually folded back in via the Archives. This is not a good litmus test for Criterion release

Jeff

#645 Post by Jeff » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:44 pm

Round Midnight
The Roaring Twenties
The Philadelphia Story
O Lucky Man
Lone Star
Hedwig & The Angry Inch
Captain Blood
Bringing Up Baby
Arsenic and Old Lace
Mean Streets
Barry Lyndon
Scarecrow
Death in Venice
I'm convinced this is the next set of licensed titles too, or close to it. Some of them may come via the Archive, but this list has Criterion written all over it. Mean Streets makes a lot of sense as a home for all of the Scorsese shorts that they've been sitting on for years. Maybe they'll throw Who's That Knocking at My Door? on there as well. I'd be very excited for Scarecrow and The Roaring Twenties to get their due and to have O Lucky Man! on one disc.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#646 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Scarecrow is a film I saw for the first time recently at a local theater. I was so moved by it, I went to go see it again the next day. It would be instantly elevated to my favorite Criterion if they went ahead and released this.

AfterTheRain

#647 Post by AfterTheRain » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:54 pm

Arsenic and Old Lace was released by Criterion on laserdisc way back when and I believe it was hinted at in the New Years drawing, so I have reason to believe that the majority of titles mentioned in previous posts may have been acquired by Criterion; only time will tell.

Robespierre

#648 Post by Robespierre » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Warners has seemed to slow down on their WAC releases, though that might just be because nothing major has popped up on my radar yet. Anyone know what the sales are like so far for WAC?

jwd5275

#649 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:36 am

Jeff wrote:
Round Midnight
The Roaring Twenties
The Philadelphia Story
O Lucky Man
Lone Star
Hedwig & The Angry Inch
Captain Blood
Bringing Up Baby
Arsenic and Old Lace
Mean Streets
Barry Lyndon
Scarecrow
Death in Venice
I'm convinced this is the next set of licensed titles too, or close to it. Some of them may come via the Archive, but this list has Criterion written all over it.
Additionally, Scaramouche is listed as OOP from WAC. Freaks and the collection of Keaton's MGM films that included Cameraman are also OOP

Malickite

#650 Post by Malickite » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:18 am

AfterTheRain wrote:Arsenic and Old Lace was released by Criterion on laserdisc way back when and I believe it was hinted at in the New Years drawing, so I have reason to believe that the majority of titles mentioned in previous posts may have been acquired by Criterion; only time will tell.
That hint was most likely for Guitry's La poison, but Arsenic and Old Lace is one of my favorites, so I'll be very pleased if it turns out to be one of those "double clues"