News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ryannichols7

Re: Criterion and Warner Bros.

#901 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:54 pm

captveg wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:42 am
ryannichols7 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:16 pm
I don't agree with that - Badlands is very likely and I'm sure enough people would buy the Before Trilogy again too, among others.
To clarify, I meant from that list that Frau had just posted.
got it, my bad. in that case I totally agree. not sure how big a seller Hedwig was, but that didn't seem to stop Mildred Pierce, but that's the only other title I see possible

FrauBlucher

#902 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:27 pm

I just watched the trailer to Lone Star from the Criterion page for said film. It has a Sony Pictures Classic logo. Can someone explain that?

yoloswegmaster

#903 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:31 pm

It was theatrically distributed by Sony but was produced by Castle Rock, who is now owned by WB.

flyonthewall2983

#904 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:34 am

They had just been acquired by WB around this time too

ryannichols7

#905 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:08 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:31 pm
George Feltenstein confirmed The Roaring Twenties would be coming to bluray. I'm putting this here since we've kinda known Criterion has been sitting on it for some time, and because the way George said it on the podcast (at least to me) sounded annoyed that it's being sat on. which it surely has
going to be a UHD, I'd say that's well worth the wait! WAC wouldn't have been able to give it the same treatment, so very glad Criterion could

Ribs

#906 Post by Ribs » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:11 pm

It does make me wonder, along with the Shaft's Big Score disc, if Criterion will be able to or interested in some of the higher profile WAC titles like Suspicion, To Have and Have Not, etc, to do a 4K release. Now that they seem to finally be getting to the last of their outstanding original Warner titles we've been waiting on for ten years.

Finch

#907 Post by Finch » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:18 pm

Wonder if they'll upgrade High Sierra to 4k as 2024 would be 3 years or so since the BD.

FrauBlucher

#908 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:42 pm

Today's announcement bodes well for the remainders getting released in 4k

IN
The Roaring Twenties UHD
Lone Star UHD
Round Midnight
The Philadelphia Story
Hedwig & The Angry Inch
Bringing Up Baby
Arsenic and Old Lace
Mean Streets UHD
Barry Lyndon

NOT YET
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
O Lucky Man
Captain Blood

ryannichols7

#909 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:34 pm

Ribs wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:11 pm
It does make me wonder, along with the Shaft's Big Score disc, if Criterion will be able to or interested in some of the higher profile WAC titles like Suspicion, To Have and Have Not, etc, to do a 4K release. Now that they seem to finally be getting to the last of their outstanding original Warner titles we've been waiting on for ten years.
Bogart/Bacall 4K box would make for an excellent holiday release....just putting the idea out there Criterion

I think they'll be finishing off that list and then moving onto the laserdisc titles (North by Northwest being the big outstanding one) and whatever else WB put out themselves in the BD era and then haven't upgraded to 4K

FrauBlucher

#910 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:21 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion that Criterion will release The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. It's based on nothing except that WB has not updated the 13 year old bluray. It's one of their biggest titles of the 40s and they gave it an early bluray release. Now CC can release it in UHD.

beamish14

#911 Post by beamish14 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:35 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:21 pm
I have a sneaking suspicion that Criterion will release The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. It's based on nothing except that WB has not updated the 13 year old bluray. It's one of their biggest titles of the 40s and they gave it an early bluray release. Now CC can release it in UHD.
They love Huston, and it would certainly be nice, but I keep hoping that they’ll get Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison from Sony or Moby Dick from MGM

ianthemovie

#912 Post by ianthemovie » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:07 pm

The Misfits is the Huston title that I would most hope to see on UHD soon. It's been a couple of years now since the debut of the Film Foundation's restoration. Hopefully it hasn't been forgotten.

colinr0380

#913 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:12 pm

Plus The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is the source of the prospector dancing moment that The Simpsons were infatuated with referencing for a few years, almost as much as they were by the Jack Lemmon character in Glengarry Glen Ross! I guess they thought those references appealed to the kids!

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#914 Post by dekadetia » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:40 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:07 pm
The Misfits is the Huston title that I would most hope to see on UHD soon. It's been a couple of years now since the debut of the Film Foundation's restoration. Hopefully it hasn't been forgotten.
Capelight released it in Germany and UK this year (region free of course) and it looks lovely.

hearthesilence

#915 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:47 am

I'd like to see Wise Blood or The Dead get their Blu-ray debuts, but I doubt it'll happen.

sabbath

#916 Post by sabbath » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:12 am

beamish14 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:35 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
They love Huston, and it would certainly be nice, but I keep hoping that they’ll get Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison from Sony or Moby Dick from MGM
I believe Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison is a Fox (hence Disney) title, not Sony.

beamish14

#917 Post by beamish14 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:13 am

sabbath wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:12 am
beamish14 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:35 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
I believe Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison is a Fox (hence Disney) title, not Sony.

You are absolutely correct.

tolbs1010

#918 Post by tolbs1010 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:03 am

I'm sensing a Criterion 4K of Treasure as well. WB puts out 4Ks of Maltese and Casablanca but not Treasure? Of those three all-time classics, Treasure probably moves the fewest units, which makes it a better fit for Criterion. They should give us a Huston mother lode month with upgraded Wise Blood and Under The Volcano as well.

Another of the all-time great WB titles that surely must be in Criterion's hands is I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang. It doesn't have any North American blu release and the DVD is out of print. Very strange.

guyetgenevieve

#919 Post by guyetgenevieve » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:20 am

I thought a few years back that Criterion might get The Gay Divorcee as it went out-of-print around the time that they did Swing Time. It's seemed a bit odd to me that only one Fred and Ginger film has been released on Blu-ray (though, by all accounts, the elements are in rough condition). Still, it's weird to me that all of the other Fred and Ginger titles seem to be in-print (on DVD) except for The Gay Divorcee (even Top Hat is in-print, though I assume Warner doesn't want to part with as it's probably the biggest seller of Fred and Ginger's ten films).

DRW.mov

#920 Post by DRW.mov » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:03 pm

The complete list of former laserdisc titles currently held by WB are as follows:

King Kong
Blade Runner*
A Night at the Opera
Scaramouche
North by Northwest
Adam’s Rib
Singin’ in the Rain*
Forbidden Planet
Wizard of Oz*
2001: A Space Odyssey*
Adventures of Robin Hood
Casablanca*
Lolita
Bad Day at Black Rock
Se7en
Damage
Boogie Nights

(*) denotes titles WB has released on 4K. Am I crazy or does it look like the 4K of Blade Runner is out of print?

The most likely of these to return are definitely Scaramouche, Adam’s Rib, Lolita, and potentially heavy hitters like North by Northwest, Robin Hood, Lolita, and filmmaker depending, Se7en and Boogie Nights.
Honestly was shocked that WAC did their own Black Rock around the time Criterion was finally licensing their titles in earnest.
And for those counting, 12 of the former laserdisc titles that are currently held by WB (ie not counting The Player) have been re-licensed.
Last edited by DRW.mov on Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roscoe

#921 Post by Roscoe » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:42 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:03 pm
Am I crazy or does it look like the 4K of Blade Runner is out of print?
Not seeing any indication of the Blade Runner 4K being out of print -- it may be out of stock temporarily, as it was pretty heavily discounted for Black Friday. I can't imagine they'd let that one go out of print. It's gotta be among the best selling 4Ks out there. Does anyone upgrade to 4K without getting it?

flyonthewall2983

#922 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:56 pm

Fincher has talked about recently upgrading Seven to 4K. I reckon the only New Line titles WB are interesting are flogging are the franchises.

Matt

#923 Post by Matt » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:13 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Isn't the 4k Amadeus rumored for a Criterion release?
The Academy Museum is showing the 4K restoration of the theatrical cut in May. Seems like a natural for Criterion to release this in 4K with both cuts given that many of their 4K discs have been Warner Bros. films.

TechnicolorAcid

#924 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:25 am

I’ll put a bet on this being announced for/on September since that would mark it’s 40th Anniversary.

beamish14

#925 Post by beamish14 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:25 pm

I really just want the original theatrical release of it. Chuck away the 2002 recut for good