Criterion and Sony

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
matrixschmatrix

Re: Criterion and Sony

#526 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:52 am

Moe Dickstein wrote:
Perkins Cobb wrote: (And even if this did somehow mean opening the Sony floodgates, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about it; it'd just be still more slots on the Criterion slate that would go to films that a big studio should be releasing itself, as opposed to stuff like Pierre Etaix or WCF.)
I'd be thrilled to see that happen. With the lack of extras and features on catalog releases these days, it's no good to have the studios release their own films. I welcome more mainstream Hollywood product from Criterion with open arms and wallet.
You might be the most consistent poster on the board in your viewpoint, man.

Perkins Cobb

#527 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:24 am

Moe Dickstein wrote:I'd be thrilled to see that happen. With the lack of extras and features on catalog releases these days, it's no good to have the studios release their own films. I welcome more mainstream Hollywood product from Criterion with open arms and wallet.
It's a mad, mad, mad, mad forum these days.

giovannii84

#528 Post by giovannii84 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:56 am

Moe Dickstein wrote:
Perkins Cobb wrote: (And even if this did somehow mean opening the Sony floodgates, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about it; it'd just be still more slots on the Criterion slate that would go to films that a big studio should be releasing itself, as opposed to stuff like Pierre Etaix or WCF.)
I'd be thrilled to see that happen. With the lack of extras and features on catalog releases these days, it's no good to have the studios release their own films. I welcome more mainstream Hollywood product from Criterion with open arms and wallet.
Completely agree. I think WB do a great job at adding supplementary features to their DVD/BD releases but Sony/Columbia are often quite bare. Usually the trailer, a poster gallery & occasional short featurette on some releases.

Moe Dickstein

#529 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:42 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:You might be the most consistent poster on the board in your viewpoint, man.
I'm going to choose to take this as a compliment ;)

ryannichols7

#530 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:34 pm

peerpee wrote:What about Criterion now becoming the home for all Sony Pictures Classics titles?
SPC already charges $35 for their Blurays anyway, why not just do them up right?

Yaanu

#531 Post by Yaanu » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:07 am

I can't wait for the inevitable one-3DBD/two-BD/five-DVD release of JACK AND JILL through this new deal.

rossen

#532 Post by rossen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Is there any real chance for Criterion releases of The Last Detail, California Split and Fat City on blu?

dustybooks

#533 Post by dustybooks » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:49 pm

I remember hearing that Last Detail was screened in a restored print not long ago. Now there's a Hal Ashby title I'd pick up immediately!

edit: oops, just saw that this came up before in this thread and it was concluded that Millcreek has it so probably not. Sorry for the redundancy.

rossen

#534 Post by rossen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:53 pm

yeah, but Mill Creek released it with 3 other movies on a twofer (with Avalon, The Birdie and Stone Gardens), i was asking about a possible blu ray release with all the relevant (or irrelevant) extras, commentary, etc.

Calvin

#535 Post by Calvin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Mill Creek said to me in an email that they don't have the Blu-Ray rights to The Last Detail

cdnchris
Site Admin

#536 Post by cdnchris » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Well, as this post mentions about Blue Underground releasing a dual-format Maniac Cop 2 despite someone else having DVD rights, maybe Last Detail is still possible.

Moe Dickstein

#537 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:06 pm

Be interesting to see CC pick up a movie they only can have Blu rights to. Don't think they've ever released something only on Blu.

Calvin

#538 Post by Calvin » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:07 am

Moe Dickstein wrote:Be interesting to see CC pick up a movie they only can have Blu rights to. Don't think they've ever released something only on Blu.
Even if they only have Blu rights, they can still release it Dual Format

Moe Dickstein

#539 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:12 am

Umm no they can't - they don't have rights to make a DVD...

Ashirg

#540 Post by Ashirg » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:14 am

See explanation above about Blue Underground and their dual-format Maniac Cop 2

ShellOilJunior

#541 Post by ShellOilJunior » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:24 am

This would seem like something right up Criterion's alley. I have a difficult time imagining Sony releasing a film from 1934 themselves. Criterion could use another comedy, too.

Roger Ryan

#542 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:32 am

ShellOilJunior wrote:This would seem like something right up Criterion's alley. I have a difficult time imagining Sony releasing a film from 1934 themselves. Criterion could use another comedy, too.
But, according to that press release, Sony is releasing this restoration...via their new 4K delivery service. In fact, they say this is the first of five restored Capra films to be released over the next few years. As I noted earlier in this thread, the question is whether Sony will release these 4K restorations on Blu-ray as well, or allow Criterion to do so. My feeling is that they are building up a library of exclusives to entice consumers to purchase their 4K Media Player and accompanying Ultra HD TVs.

ShellOilJunior

#543 Post by ShellOilJunior » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:21 am

The physical release is what I was alluding to - sorry I was unclear in my post.

Yaanu

#544 Post by Yaanu » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
ShellOilJunior wrote:This would seem like something right up Criterion's alley. I have a difficult time imagining Sony releasing a film from 1934 themselves. Criterion could use another comedy, too.
But, according to that press release, Sony is releasing this restoration...via their new 4K delivery service. In fact, they say this is the first of five restored Capra films to be released over the next few years. As I noted earlier in this thread, the question is whether Sony will release these 4K restorations on Blu-ray as well, or allow Criterion to do so. My feeling is that they are building up a library of exclusives to entice consumers to purchase their 4K Media Player and accompanying Ultra HD TVs.
I'd hope that Sony would do a double-release: A proper/mainstream BD/DVD release through Criterion, and a Sony-branded niche 4K release.

rossen

#545 Post by rossen » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:45 pm

I saw today that Last Detail is available from Movieplex on demand until the end of February and in HD to boot!

ianungstad

#546 Post by ianungstad » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:43 pm

If you read the original press release about the 4k line it includes On the Waterfront which was released via Criterion. It also mentions Groundhog Day which was never released for whatever reason.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#547 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Put the Allen rumors to rest: Blue Jasmine is coming from Sony on Jan 21st

flyonthewall2983

#548 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:52 am

What chance is there of Criterion releasing The Prince of Tides? The laser-disc looked quite packed features-wise for it's time.

CSM126

#549 Post by CSM126 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:14 am

Likely depends on whether they want to work with La Babs again after she prolonged the laserdisc's production, then had it recalled so she could tweak it again, etc.

atcolomb

#550 Post by atcolomb » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:01 pm

Just saw for the first time on the Sony HD Channel Antonioni's The Passenger (1975) with Jack Nicholson and what a good film and a better print used compared to the Sony dvd i rented from the library. Would like to see Criterion release this on blu-ray since they have released some of Antonioni's films already.