Criterion and Sony

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
black&huge

Re: Criterion and Sony

#601 Post by black&huge » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:45 am

I agree. Isn't All About my Mother the only Almodovar in like 3 years? And the Chaplin's typically took 2 years for a bit and before that it was merely a year or so apart when they first rolled out.

Glowingwabbit

#602 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:16 am

tenia wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:18 am
And this is quite tiring. They have things like Chaplin, Almodovar or Lloyd and because they chose not to do a boxset, it's taking years for those to be released, to the point it's a bit silly.
This is something I've appreciated Arrow for doing in the case of Kieślowski, Fassbinder, Rohmer, etc.

Luke M

#603 Post by Luke M » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:42 am

black&huge wrote:I agree. Isn't All About my Mother the only Almodovar in like 3 years? And the Chaplin's typically took 2 years for a bit and before that it was merely a year or so apart when they first rolled out.
Even worse, it seems that release was meant to coincide with the Pain and Glory release. Who knows, we might not get another Almodovar until he makes another movie and then it's released on home video!

mteller

#604 Post by mteller » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:57 am

tenia wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:18 am
And this is quite tiring. They have things like Chaplin, Almodovar or Lloyd and because they chose not to do a boxset, it's taking years for those to be released, to the point it's a bit silly.
Not to mention all the Satyajit Ray they're sitting on... *grumble grumble*

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#605 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:02 pm

And probably many other instances.
While I understand milking their catalogue through individual releases rather than through boxsets which, I guess, aren't as much profitable per title, they're sitting on so many movies it's hard to understand why, at some point, they don't accept needing to speed up a bit the process for some directors whose movies could be released in a "bulk" way. I don't think anybody will complain if they do more often bix boxsets if it means finally having these titles released on digital home video. I mean : at this pace, the BD market might have disappeared totally before we get these remaining Harold Lloyds !

dwk

#606 Post by dwk » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:10 pm

I wonder, with the success of the Bergman set and four boxsets on tap for this year (that we know of), with three of them potentially being big sets (the Bruce Lee can't be more than five titles), if they are going to be moving toward doing one or two big boxsets a year.

FrauBlucher

#607 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:37 am

Can a UHD Taxi Driver be in play for Criterion?

Calvin

#608 Post by Calvin » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:41 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Can a UHD Taxi Driver be in play for Criterion?
It's already coming from Sony next month, as part of Columbia Classics Vol. 2. I imagine Sony will release it individually themselves next year.

ShellOilJunior

#609 Post by ShellOilJunior » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:48 am

I wouldn't rule it out at this point. Sony views classics on UHD as a very small niche of the home video market. It took a while for Sony to unbox vol.1 and offer Dr. Strangelove as a standalone. It looks like the other films will eventually get released individually and Lawrence will be held until 2022 because of an upcoming round number anniversary.

I think we're at a point where a lot more big name classics will be going to boutique labels.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#610 Post by tenia » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:51 am

Bigger and bigger titles are going to indies nowadays, yes, but the point was that this is still being handled by Sony themselves as part of their current Columbia UHD releases, as was Strangelove and overall their 1st volume boxset. They're not going to do the work for the set but have Criterion doing the individual later release.

hearthesilence

#611 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:33 pm

tenia wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:02 pm
I mean : at this pace, the BD market might have disappeared totally before we get these remaining Harold Lloyds !
EXACTLY. The market's only going to get smaller - by holding back titles in this manner, in the long game they're probably losing out in overall sales/revenue. Reminds me of the late '00s and early '10s when so many dream projects were getting released in the music world - you got the feeling that a big motivator for those releases was that the music business was rapidly shrinking. The demand was always there, but sitting on those projects for over a decade or more probably lost them millions in the long run.