Criterion and Sony

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Criterion and Sony

#576 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:43 pm

There are a bunch of Sony Pictures Classic titles that would make terrific Criterion editions, as well.

Luke M

#577 Post by Luke M » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:55 pm

One of my favorite box sets was Sony's Cary Grant set with Only Angels Have Wings, His Girl Friday, The Awful Truth, Holiday, and Talk of the Town. I'd love to see the other three released.

Sony also released that 8 movie Almodovar box set including All About My Mother and Talk To Her which haven't been released on blu-ray yet.

I hope Criterion's relationship with Sony doesn't end.

Ashirg

#578 Post by Ashirg » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:18 am

Was A Matter of Life and Death ever confirmed for eventual Criterion release?

Ribs

#579 Post by Ribs » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:26 am

It's an inevitability but it will surely be restored soon. It's the 70th anniversary this year so I assumed it'd be done but there's no sign of it so far though it'll probably show up at one of the Fall Festivals (I'd hope). This being released along with Emigrants and Dekalog would complete my trifecta of my absolute most wanted releases (along with that Z upgrade whenever they get around to it).

dwk

#580 Post by dwk » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:38 am

Luke M wrote:One of my favorite box sets was Sony's Cary Grant set with Only Angels Have Wings, His Girl Friday, The Awful Truth, Holiday, and Talk of the Town. I'd love to see the other three released.

Sony also released that 8 movie Almodovar box set including All About My Mother and Talk To Her which haven't been released on blu-ray yet.

I hope Criterion's relationship with Sony doesn't end.
I posted this in the Forthcoming thread last October, the Almodovar films are coming from Criterion

Luke M

#581 Post by Luke M » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 pm

Nice. Hopefully sooner than later.

bainbridgezu

#582 Post by bainbridgezu » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Sony Pictures Classics now controls Almodóvar's entire filmography. Hopefully it won't be long before Criterion starts rolling these out, preferably at a steady pace. I'm especially looking forward to Labyrinth of Passion, which has never had an American disc release.

Ashirg

#583 Post by Ashirg » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:00 pm

For completeness sake, Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! was licensed from Pathé. Is there any director whose entire oeuvre released by different studios is now owned by only one?

Werewolf by Night

Criterion and Sony

#584 Post by Werewolf by Night » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Wouldn't it be phenomenal if Criterion just released great editions of everything, all at once, the way they did with the Merchant-Ivory films years ago? One can dream.

Cinephrenic

#585 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:32 pm

We can expect a Eclipse set "Early Almodovar"

Ashirg

#586 Post by Ashirg » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:01 pm

If Sony does HD restorations, I wouldn't mind Criterion's first blu-ray Eclipse release (for early Almodovar)...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#587 Post by tenia » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:38 pm

Ashirg wrote:If Sony does HD restorations, I wouldn't mind Criterion's first blu-ray Eclipse release (for early Almodovar)...
I believe that almost of his "catalog" movies have been recently restored for the TF1 set in France (with some more recent titles being licenced from Pathé or Studio Canal). Maybe Sony will draw from these rather than re-do restorations.

bainbridgezu

#588 Post by bainbridgezu » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:57 pm

Cinephrenic wrote:We can expect a Eclipse set "Early Almodovar"
Much as I'd expect this otherwise, I seriously doubt Criterion will pull that shit with titles licensed from a major American studio and by a contemporary director with Almodóvar's name-brand recognition. That said, I do expect an "Early Almodóvar" collection (albeit in the main line) of his first four films, hopefully along with his shorts and some generous contextual supplements. This is a real opportunity and it'd be a shame if Criterion dropped the ball.

Beyond that, I'd hope for Matador and Law of Desire to have consecutive spine numbers, with the rest probably released individually. They're not going to blow their load on a huge set or two for one of the biggest filmmakers working today. Expect them to trickle these out like other whole catalogues (Chaplin, Lloyd), though hopefully at a steadier pace.

beamish13

#589 Post by beamish13 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:12 pm

Sony still owns the North American rights to H.G. Clouzot's La Verite. Have there been any rumblings of them licensing it to Criterion?

Minkin

#590 Post by Minkin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:39 pm

beamish13 wrote:Sony still owns the North American rights to H.G. Clouzot's La Verite. Have there been any rumblings of them licensing it to Criterion?
Criterion confirmed that it was coming a few years ago at some restoration talk they did in Italy. This was back in 2013 and all of the other titles they confirmed at the talk have already come out. Granted, these things can take years to make it to their schedule, do restoration work, add extras, etc. So its coming eventually.

Gerald Christie

#592 Post by Gerald Christie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:51 pm

Has there been any rumblings on an impeding release of Howard Hawks's Twentieth Century? Honestly, this, Bringing Up Baby and Ball of Fire are the remaining titles from his filmography that I want on blu-ray.

FrauBlucher

#593 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:34 pm

domino harvey wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:All The Kings Men (1949) which won an Oscar for best picture and Rossen has a phantom page.
Already out on TT. The phantom page was for Alexander the Great, which though a puzzling choice for Criterion, ended up also coming from TT
The Harder They Fall (1956) is currently on TCM. I wonder if this is what the Rossen phantom page is meant for. Bogart’s last film. It has an interesting back story and Eddie Muller can talk for days about this one.

I guess I’m trying to sell it.

DRW.mov

#594 Post by DRW.mov » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:55 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:34 pm
domino harvey wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:All The Kings Men (1949) which won an Oscar for best picture and Rossen has a phantom page.
Already out on TT. The phantom page was for Alexander the Great, which though a puzzling choice for Criterion, ended up also coming from TT
The Harder They Fall (1956) is currently on TCM. I wonder if this is what the Rossen phantom page is meant for. Bogart’s last film. It has an interesting back story and Eddie Muller can talk for days about this one.

I guess I’m trying to sell it.

All the Kings Men and Alexander the Great were directed by Robert ROSSEN, not Mark ROBSON, who directed The Harder They Fall, Valley of the Dolls.

FrauBlucher

#595 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Oh wow. Thanks for the correction. It's funny, watching it this morning, it had the feel of a Rossen film to me.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#596 Post by Drucker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Not sure if there is a great thread for this random q but is there a simple place online I can go to figure out which studio owns what libraries these days?

Derek Estes

#597 Post by Derek Estes » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:27 pm

I’ve been watching the early Almodovar films on amazon. The restorations look great. I’m wondering if its likely they will eventually be released by Criterion. I’ll purchase them all individually, but I wish they could all be released as a large set. I know Criterion has a number of big boxes on the way, but if possible a comprehensive Almodovar set would be incredible.

therewillbeblus

#598 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:13 pm

This has been brought up before, I think there was talk that Criterion would be releasing of all of Almodovar's films at some point, but I'm not sure where the information came from

black&huge

#599 Post by black&huge » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:18 pm

If true we got a good number of years for them to roll out. Criterion still hasn't released all of Chaplin's stuff after a decade.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#600 Post by tenia » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:18 am

And this is quite tiring. They have things like Chaplin, Almodovar or Lloyd and because they chose not to do a boxset, it's taking years for those to be released, to the point it's a bit silly.