Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Criterion Web Site

#452 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:36 pm

They're out of stock of Godzilla.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#453 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Glad I finally got my order in before that bell was rung, though they really should make an excuse on the "in stock" thing since their site was/is practically inaccessible since noon

duck duck

#454 Post by duck duck » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:53 pm

I have no idea what it does but "F5" is brilliant... thanks guys.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#455 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Every time you press F5, a baby bird goes blind. So it should only be used for very important things like making sure you can get Godzilla now now NOW.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#456 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:00 pm

For further information, consult the Box

knives

#457 Post by knives » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:02 pm

Which version?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#458 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:Glad I finally got my order in before that bell was rung, though they really should make an excuse on the "in stock" thing since their site was/is practically inaccessible since noon
Well, how bout that
Dear Criterion newsletter subscribers,

It’s been a frustrating day for many of our fans—and for us. While a lot of customers have been able to successfully place orders, many have not. We apologize for any difficulties this has caused. We’ve done some work on the site, and it is functioning more efficiently, but certainly not as well as we’d like. Unfortunately, we anticipate that it will remain slow for the duration of the sale.

Many of you were on Criterion.com at the same time trying to get your orders in on certain titles before we ran out of them, which caused a major site slowdown. To alleviate this pressure, after the sale ends we will announce a separate code to honor sale pricing on any titles that go out of stock.

And keep in mind that although the site is not operating at full speed, you should be able to place your order tonight with a bit of patience. Just enter the promotional code SWAK on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to get 50% off the suggested retail price (SRP) on all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs before noon EST on February 15th.

Thanks for hanging in there with us. We appreciate it!
The Criterion Collection

HistoryProf

#459 Post by HistoryProf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:13 pm

what is this $10 credit people all seem to have?

Jeff

#460 Post by Jeff » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:15 pm

Criterion is really a class act. Offering the out of stock titles goes above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks guys.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#461 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:23 pm

HistoryProf wrote:what is this $10 credit people all seem to have?
If you had set up a wish list on their site before yesterday, they credited your account $10.

aox

#462 Post by aox » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:10 pm

Jeff wrote:Criterion is really a class act. Offering the out of stock titles goes above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks guys.
But... why won't they release what I want?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#463 Post by swo17 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Wow, it looks like the only "new releases" they haven't sold out of are the Sabu! Eclipse set and The Moment of Truth.

knives

#464 Post by knives » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Too bad, The Moment of Truth was pretty great. Glad I got Three Outlaw Samurai in time.

HistoryProf

#465 Post by HistoryProf » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:04 pm

swo17 wrote:
HistoryProf wrote:what is this $10 credit people all seem to have?
If you had set up a wish list on their site before yesterday, they credited your account $10.
well that was pretty nice of them. picked up Design For Living blu for $15 shipped. gotta like that. really wanted Three Outlaw Samurai but no such luck. also really considered Moment of Truth. wish I had added it now, but the double shipping fee ruins the deal if I try now.

FellaCalledLime

#466 Post by FellaCalledLime » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:21 pm

I can't speak for what all from the Collection is currently on back order, but I went through their Blu-ray selection checking every film I either don't own or have on order and managed to snag Gimme Shelter, Hunger, Repulsion, Revanche and The Wages of Fear with this deal. Hope this is able to help anybody that was hoping to use the discount on those films.

scotty2

#467 Post by scotty2 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 pm

I was able to grab The Lady Vanishes, Design for Living, and Belle de Jour in today's rebound sale.

Max von Mayerling

#468 Post by Max von Mayerling » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:37 pm

I think it is awesome that the "May Titles Announced!" on the web site currently says "Plus: La maine on Blu!"

bainbridgezu

#469 Post by bainbridgezu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Max von Mayerling wrote:I think it is awesome that the "May Titles Announced!" on the web site currently says "Plus: La maine on Blu!"
To be fair, imagine how upset we'd be if Criterion had put more effort into proofreading this month's announcement than they did the covers.

a.khan

#470 Post by a.khan » Thu May 17, 2012 5:05 am

My apologies if this is being discussed/has been discussed elsewhere (I don't come here often)...but who the hell have they hired to write the copy for the website? This is amateur hour; a marked difference to Criterion's usually erudite style. Observe:
Criterion.com wrote: LA PROMESSE
SYNOPSIS: This is the breakthrough feature from Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne, who would go on to become a force in world filmmaking. The brothers brought the unerring eye for detail and the compassion for those on society’s lowest rungs developed in their earlier documentary work to this absorbing drama about a teenager (Jérémie Renier) gradually coming to understand the implications of his father’s making a living off of illegal alien workers. Filmed in the Dardennes’ industrial hometown of Seraing, Belgium, La promesse is a brilliantly economical and observant tale of a boy’s troubled moral awakening.

ROSETTA
SYNOPSIS: The Belgian filmmaking team of brothers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne turned heads with Rosetta, an intense vérité drama that closely follows a poor young woman struggling to hold on to a job to support herself and her alcoholic mother. It’s a swift and simple tale made revelatory by the raw, empathetic way in which the directors render Rosetta’s desperation, keeping the camera nearly perched on her shoulder throughout. Many have copied the Dardennes’ style; few have equaled it. This ferocious film won big at Cannes, earning the Palme d’Or for the filmmakers and the best actress prize for the indomitable Émilie Dequenne.

WEEKEND
SYNOPSIS: This sensual, remarkably observed, beautifully acted wonder is the breakout feature from British writer-director-editor Andrew Haigh. Rarely has a film been as honest about sexuality—in both depiction and discussion—as this tale of a one-night-stand that develops into a weekend-long idyll for two very different young men (exciting newcomers Tom Cullen and Chris New) in Midlands England. It’s an emotionally naked film that’s both an invaluable snapshot of the complexities of contemporary gay living and a universally identifiable portrait of a love affair.

Gregory

#471 Post by Gregory » Thu May 17, 2012 11:41 am

I don't see any big problems with most of those bolded passages, but I dislike the way they refer to the immigrant workers in La Promesse as "illegal aliens." It's a judgmental, even dehumanizing term that really goes against the spirit of the film, and I think it'll be a real mistake if they print that on the back cover.

onedimension

#472 Post by onedimension » Thu May 17, 2012 1:10 pm

I heard Lena Dunham's doing some writing for them now.. I've never really noticed their jacket copy- does this belong in the packaging/cover art thread, here, or in a dedicated thread of its own? I might lose respect for Criterion if I tallied incidences of the word 'lyrical'.

"comING to understand the implications of his father's makING a livING" I am finding a little bit annoying as I'm reading what you were highlighting..

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#473 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:24 pm

I love how we're pinning everything Criterion does wrong on Lena Dunham now

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#474 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Somewhere, Tamara weeps

onedimension

#475 Post by onedimension » Thu May 17, 2012 1:26 pm

OT, but "Girls" has had some excellent moments.