Criterion Web Site

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Criterion Web Site

#551 Post by swo17 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:54 am

Feego wrote:A couple more things I noticed. The covers have all been converted to Blu-ray size, meaning that covers for movies that are still DVD only are missing some of the image
Of course, the BD covers were inaccurate on the old version of the site, as they were all in DVD cover dimensions.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#552 Post by tenia » Fri May 04, 2018 11:55 am

Oh, I totally suppose actually not too many people are interested in that, but I wonder what the advantage of the new version is compared to the older one, especially since it doesn't look like there is more elements to load now. So it just seems like a small step backwards on this one, but yeah, probably not many people will regret this a lot. I suspect most people just use the research bar and look for movies this way anyway.

FrauBlucher

#553 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri May 04, 2018 12:06 pm

Well, I guess "less is more" applies here. It'll take a little getting use to.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#554 Post by tenia » Fri May 04, 2018 12:12 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:It'll take a little getting use to.
Most certainly. Just like we got around, in the end, the Arrow revamping (though they have made additional adjustments later on).

What A Disgrace

#555 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri May 04, 2018 12:14 pm

At least my bookmarks to individual titles still seems to work, which is all I need for the inevitable autumn sale.

dda1996a

#556 Post by dda1996a » Mon May 07, 2018 10:02 am

is there any option to view films by categories other than genres? Like for example "avant-garde"? Also I find it harder now to see individual films in bigger box-sets, like for example I can't see now all the films included in the Les Blank box (the link is broken)

FrauBlucher

#557 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon May 07, 2018 5:04 pm

It looks flashy but not really a fan of the functionality. I like searching films through years and decades and I find it less user friendly than the previous site.

Bando

#558 Post by Bando » Tue May 15, 2018 7:56 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:It looks flashy but not really a fan of the functionality. I like searching films through years and decades and I find it less user friendly than the previous site.
Just went to criterion.com for the first time in a while today, and this is pretty much my reaction. Impossible to navigate compared to the old site. Can't figure out where anything is.

FrauBlucher

#559 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Who misses "My Criterion"?

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#560 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:40 pm

I do.

One reason is I can't send my wishlist link to people for birthday gift ideas.

movielocke

#561 Post by movielocke » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:11 pm

I didn’t use it much but I liked it

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#562 Post by Omensetter » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:40 am

Yeah, I used it. It does seem odd and unlike them to not have this running some five months later.

FrauBlucher

#563 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:16 am

I miss the old site. I've done several searches and found missing titles from those searches. One search was 1920s blurays and there is no The Freshman
https://www.criterion.com/shop/browse/l ... at=blu-ray
Another search was by spine of all blurays and The Great Beauty was missing. I'm sure there is probably more.

RSTooley

#564 Post by RSTooley » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:12 am

The issue seems to pertain to titles released in dual-format editions. The same issue occurs when trying to filter collector's sets on Blu-ray - The Essential Jacques Demy is curiously missing.

movielocke

#565 Post by movielocke » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:27 am

Omensetter wrote:Yeah, I used it. It does seem odd and unlike them to not have this running some five months later.
It’s as though the databases controlling the my criterion info were nonexistent and as a result they can’t migrate the data into a new proper database that would control the function on the new site. They probably have a few unpaid college interns migrating them all by hand day by day.

FrauBlucher

#566 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:13 pm

RSTooley wrote:The issue seems to pertain to titles released in dual-format editions. The same issue occurs when trying to filter collector's sets on Blu-ray - The Essential Jacques Demy is curiously missing.
That makes sense. And of course, with them leaving the world of the dual format they decided not to fix this bug.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#567 Post by soundchaser » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 pm

My Criterion will be making its triumphant return soon, minus the custom list feature:
Criterion Website wrote:About eight months ago, My Criterion went offline when we relaunched this website with a brand-new mobile-friendly design, smoother e-commerce functionality, and a richer publishing environment for the Current. As we’ve reevaluated the section and thought about how to bring its most valuable features onto the new site, we’ve appreciated receiving your positive feedback, helpful critiques, feature requests, and suggestions for improvements. After the site survived its first flash sale in October, we turned our attention to the inbox, and frequent visitors to Criterion.com may already have noticed some little changes taking effect over the past few days.

Here are some updates on how we’re integrating My Criterion features into the site. Some customers had trouble figuring out how to sign in and out from the site (it wasn’t that easy!), so we’ve added a convenient My Criterion icon to the top navigation (it looks like a little person). There you’ll find your account information, orders, wish list, and log in/out. Very soon you’ll also find My Collection there as well. Restoring the My Collection feature that allows users to track the Criterion editions they own was by far the top request from longtime customers. We are happy to report that the My Collection feature should be back online in the next few weeks, and any Criterion.com purchases you’ve made during the time My Criterion has been inactive should be reflected in your list.

What we won’t be restoring are the custom list features. After doing a deep dive into how much activity there was in the custom lists, the amount of spam and bot activity they invited, and the moderation they required, we struggled to justify bringing them back. At their best, the lists opened up new pathways in the collection and served a social function, but in the end we decided to leave that activity to other platforms like Letterboxd that are focused on social sharing, reviewing, and list-making. If you would like copies of your custom lists for your records, you can write to Jon Mulvaney (mulvaney@criterion.com) at any time and we will make arrangements.

Thanks again for your feedback, and we look forward to continuing to improve your experience on the website.

Malickite

#568 Post by Malickite » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:45 pm

What we won’t be restoring are the custom list features
So, the thing that made My Criterion fun is now gone.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#569 Post by Omensetter » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:25 am

You can do what you want to do with custom lists (and much more) on Letterboxd. I'd rather they use their limited time/resources on not removing bots and the like.

FrauBlucher

#570 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:54 pm

Yippeee, you can now get into My collection on your My Criterion page

britcom68

#571 Post by britcom68 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 am

Has anyone else attempted to mess around with the reinstated My Criterion feature? My list was previously organized by date added, and while that option is still available, whenever I attempt to organize by date-added, it does not work. Right now when I attempt to organize by date-added it will only add in the correct order by the purchases I made on Criterion site, all titles I did not purchase thru Criterion are interspersed in a random manner (at least it looks random to me). I hope that this is something they are still working on...

perkizitore

#572 Post by perkizitore » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:22 pm

britcom68 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 am
Has anyone else attempted to mess around with the reinstated My Criterion feature? My list was previously organized by date added, and while that option is still available, whenever I attempt to organize by date-added, it does not work. Right now when I attempt to organize by date-added it will only add in the correct order by the purchases I made on Criterion site, all titles I did not purchase thru Criterion are interspersed in a random manner (at least it looks random to me). I hope that this is something they are still working on...
You cannot even add new titles, just remove old ones!

FrauBlucher

#573 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:32 pm

I am able to remove films. Underneath each film in your collection it should say add note or remove film.

I usually like to organize by year of film. They all move to correct order. The date added problem sounds like a bug they need to fix.

astromartin84

#574 Post by astromartin84 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:18 pm

perkizitore wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:22 pm
You cannot even add new titles, just remove old ones!
You can add new titles... you just no longer have the option to use an Add-specific search function and instead have to add additional titles by going to each specific film's dedicated page where you have the option to add to cart, add to wishlist, or add to collection.

DeprongMori

#575 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:21 pm

You can definitely add films -- but you can only do it from the Shop, not the My Criterion page.

This seems like a design oversight, as does lack of a spine number in the title display.