Where's My Criterion?

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
oldsheperd

Where's My Criterion?

#1 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:08 pm

I wonder if Criterion is having problems with distribution. SO far it appears that Criteriondvd and dvdempire have not received the Suzuki titles. They usually have the back scans up by now. Also, my copy of Unfaithfully Yours was backordered one week before it was even released.
Anyone else experience this? If this goes in stores, Matt, I apologize.

Napier

#2 Post by Napier » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:54 am

No problem here Old Shep,I got both Suzuki's and the Sturges two weeks early through my local DVD store! Best MN

katjakassin

#3 Post by katjakassin » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:54 am

When I was working at Suncoast Video, we were only getting the select new titles in like Jules and Jim. But I would always have the new titles preorderd from either our regular warehouse (If the title was on our new release list), or through Ingram Entertainment which is a pretty darn big distro warehouse. I always got mine in on time for its release date. Stuff happens and all, but at least up until their last releases, which I believe were on the 12th, everything was moving smoothly from what I could see.

oldsheperd

#4 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:51 am

I got mine shipping email last night. Napier, how'd you get your dvds early from a local store. I thought stores usually don't put out releases early. That's why I go online, I usually get my stuff several days early.

ellipsis7

#5 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:12 am

Has anyone received or viewed An Angel at My Table yet? Mine unusually has not left Amazon by release date...

oldsheperd

#6 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:36 am

Criteriondvd.com emailed me and said although it is still scheduled to be released today, the film has been delayed by the distributor.

lull

#7 Post by lull » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:12 pm

Amazon.ca says it "Usually ships within 2 to 3 days".
it usually means they don't have it yet. was this delayed until the 27th?

btw, Naked is also marked as shipping "within 2 to 3 days".

can't wait to get these.

ellipsis7

#8 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:52 am

Now shows 8-11 days on amazon.com... Hmmm... There's obviously a problem...

Gigi M.

#9 Post by Gigi M. » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:39 pm

Today Dvdplanet.com shipped my copy of Bad Timing and The Man Who Fell to Earth, but still no sign of An Angel at my table.

katjakassin

#10 Post by katjakassin » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:46 pm

I can at least say that there is no problem with Dvdplanet.com, as I've been getting all of my preorders perfectly. That being said, I think there might just be something up with Angel.

These things tend to happen from time to time. I wouldn't really put it on Criterion, or Image. I would assume that we'll be getting shipping emails soon, or there will be some sort of statement issued by Criterion regarding the matter.

ben d banana

#11 Post by ben d banana » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:16 pm

An Angel... showed up at the one-stop I deal with yesterday, so it should be shipping now/soon from etailers and in stores shortly (new date was listed as Oct 4).

analoguezombie

#12 Post by analoguezombie » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:06 pm

jpfisher wrote:Best Buy's computer system says that it won't be available until next Tuesday the 27th. DVDPlanet has it listed as a backorder item. Guess we'll get it when we get it.
That's odd. My Best Buy had it on store shelves on 9/17

tasog37

#13 Post by tasog37 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:10 pm

Those looking for 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' and live in the DFW area or probably any area with a Virgin Megastore (and are into paying full price), they have had it out since September 13th as they think that was the release date.

I told them today it doesnt come out until Tuesday but they looked it up and are quite certain that I'm looney and it came out on Sep. 13th. I just proved myself victorious by checking criterion.com. So I win :)

Cinesimilitude

#14 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:01 pm

Man who fell... shipped for me 2 days ago from amazon.

katjakassin

#15 Post by katjakassin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:01 am

analoguezombie wrote:
jpfisher wrote:Best Buy's computer system says that it won't be available until next Tuesday the 27th. DVDPlanet has it listed as a backorder item. Guess we'll get it when we get it.
That's odd. My Best Buy had it on store shelves on 9/17
Best Buy's are regional. Just because one has something doesn't mean another store in another state will have the same thing. The same thing goes for the prices as well. They all go district to district.

Oh, and my Man and Bad Timing shipped several days ago from Dvdplanet.

lull

#16 Post by lull » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:20 am

ah. i pre-ordered both Naked and An Angel at my Table from Amazon.ca and today my order just changed to Items Shipping Soon.

Naked just changed to Usually ships within 24 hours.
An Angel at my Table still Usually ships within 1 to 2 weeks (and the price just shot up from $33.04 to $37.43).

Gigi M.

#17 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:18 pm

My Criterion copy of An Angel at my table was shipped today by Dvdplanet.com.

On the other hand, Image has moved all the October releases to the 25.
Bad news I´m afraid. I was really looking forward to Le Samourai on the 18.

lull

#18 Post by lull » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:17 pm

Amazon.ca just shipped Naked and An Angel at my Table.
i'm ecstatic :)

the October release hiatus will give me some time to pay off my recent purchases :) (ooh, and my bday's at the end of the month too, so i'll have some gift money a week before the new releases! ;)

Gordon

#19 Post by Gordon » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:52 pm

Am I alone in saying that CD-WOW is a bit slow these days in listing Criterion DVDs for pre-order? Le Samourai and The Wages of Fear aren't listed at present. I'm sure they will be this week, but I remember when CD-WOW used to list Criterions for pre-order a lot earlier. All other etailers seem to have them listed.

I'm not complaining; I recieved The Man Who Fell to Earth and Bad Timing before the street date and at great prices and 90% of the time I use CD-WOW via DVD Bargain and save £1 on each release. Don't use any other voucher, though, or you'll get huckled by CD-WOW and your order will be cancelled. Not that I have ever attemped such dasterdly deeds. :lol:

denti alligator

#20 Post by denti alligator » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:16 pm

DVD Planet is getting slow. They shipped the Roegs a week ago Thursday and I still haven't gotten them. Alas.

Gordon

#21 Post by Gordon » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:33 pm

Have the October releases been delayed? No reviews, save one for The Wages of Fear and PlayUSA.com are listing Le Samourai with a 1st November date. Are Criterion, perhaps, a bit overloaded at present?

Gigi M.

#22 Post by Gigi M. » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:43 pm

I pre-ordered all the october releases at Dvdplanet.com and none so far have been shipped. I hope they're not delayed. The Wages of Fear have also been reviewed at Dvdmoviecentral.com:

http://www.dvdmoviecentral.com/ReviewsT ... f_fear.htm

ben d banana

#23 Post by ben d banana » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:17 am

Never fear, Le Samourai shipped Friday to me via the one stop I deal with at work. No sign of Wages of Fear or the Rebel Samurai box yet.

lull

#24 Post by lull » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:20 am

yeah, my Samourai shipped yesterday (monday) from DVDPacific.

daniel p

#25 Post by daniel p » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:25 am

lull wrote:yeah, my Samourai shipped yesterday (monday) from DVDPacific.
Do post your thoughts once it arrives... and beat the reviewers :wink: