Known Problems and Replacement Discs

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Sam T.

Re: Known Problems and Replacement Discs

#51 Post by Sam T. » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:14 am

LongTime FirstTime wrote:Then I popped in Walkabout, which the player didn't even recognize. I remembered there were issues with Walkabout and certain Blu Ray players. That's when it hit me to check for updated software ... downloaded and everything is fine and dandy like sour candy. Both The Red Shoes and Walkabout now play.
Do you mind sharing what player you have? I've avoided Walkabout because my player was on a list of ones on which the disc won't play, but if it's just a matter of updating firmware I'll avoid no more.

I have a Sony S350 (purchased in late '08).

LongTime FirstTime

#52 Post by LongTime FirstTime » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Sam T. wrote:Do you mind sharing what player you have? I've avoided Walkabout because my player was on a list of ones on which the disc won't play, but if it's just a matter of updating firmware I'll avoid no more.

Same here - Sony S350 (also purchased in 08).

Watched Walkabout yesterday with no problems.

Roger Ryan

#53 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:58 pm

LongTime FirstTime wrote:
Sam T. wrote:Do you mind sharing what player you have? I've avoided Walkabout because my player was on a list of ones on which the disc won't play, but if it's just a matter of updating firmware I'll avoid no more.

Same here - Sony S350 (also purchased in 08).

Watched Walkabout yesterday with no problems.
I have a Sony N460 player and the two WALKABOUT Blu-rays I rented from Netflix would not load. The player has the latest firmware uploaded, but no luck. Fortunately, I had already watched the film via streaming, but really wanted to view it again in full resolution as well as explore the extras.

thatobscurecharm

#54 Post by thatobscurecharm » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:40 pm

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I recently opened my copy of Bicycle Thieves I got from the B&N sale. As soon as I opened it I saw these scratches on the first disc. I tried playing the movie but I just receive an error message.

Does it cost to have a disc replacement by Criterion? I was just wondering before e-mailing Mulvaney or something.

zeroism

#55 Post by zeroism » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:04 pm

thatobscurecharm wrote:I don't know if this is the right thread, but I recently opened my copy of Bicycle Thieves I got from the B&N sale. As soon as I opened it I saw these scratches on the first disc. I tried playing the movie but I just receive an error message.

Does it cost to have a disc replacement by Criterion? I was just wondering before e-mailing Mulvaney or something.
Just email them, they'll send you a free replacement if you mail them the damaged disc. Same thing happened with one of the discs in my Human Condition set. I mailed them only the disc that was damaged, and they sent me a whole new set!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#56 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:25 am

Has anyone here had an issue with The Docks Of New York? For some reason, my disc won't load the title screen. My blu ray reads "menu" but nothing will be displayed. When I hit "disc menu" the film starts, so I can watch the film, but still not access the menu.

Mulvaney sent me a replacement and the replacement has the same issue. It's the only disc in the box set where this is happening. Just wondering if it's happened to anyone else.

Paul Moran

#57 Post by Paul Moran » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:10 pm

Drucker wrote:Has anyone here had an issue with The Docks Of New York? For some reason, my disc won't load the title screen. My blu ray reads "menu" but nothing will be displayed. When I hit "disc menu" the film starts, so I can watch the film, but still not access the menu.

Mulvaney sent me a replacement and the replacement has the same issue. It's the only disc in the box set where this is happening. Just wondering if it's happened to anyone else.
It's happened to me, but not on the "Docks" disc. I had 2 Pioneer DVD players (737 and 989) which were unable to display the menu screen for Criterion's "La Strada" DVD. They also occasionally had the same problem with Sony discs, e.g. the "Labyrinth" AE.

And just this week, my Oppo 83 refused to show the menu screen for "The Return of the King" Extended Edition blu-ray, although it was happy with the first two films. I'd love to know what causes this problem!

fdm

#58 Post by fdm » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:43 am

Two recent blu-ray releases apparently have some audio problems for which replacement discs are being prepared. Whether these are symptomatic of just the blu-ray versions I have no idea:

Three Colors: White apparently has a problem with its surround mix. Blue and Red apparently were encoded properly, White somehow missed the boat. (Described as Blue and Red have proper surround sound mixes, but White only has sound coming out of one channel, when pro-logic is engaged.)

Carlos apparently has a problem with the left surround channel being noticeably quieter than the other four channels on disc 2.

(All second hand, so if not described quite right, apologies.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#59 Post by swo17 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:59 pm

I just got a response about replacement discs for White and Carlos. They're now expected to be available in January.

duck duck

#60 Post by duck duck » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Any updates on White and Carlos?

matrixschmatrix

#61 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:25 pm

I sent in my White disc and they've sent me back a $10 gift cert for the website- presumably they'll send the replacement disc sooner or later

fdm

#62 Post by fdm » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Carlos disc is not quite ready yet, but White is available. I'm waiting to do them both at once, which shouldn't be too long from now.

(Seems to be that if you get the $10 gift certificate, then you can assume it's also been shipped.)

(Um, I'm about a week behind in reading about such things, so this may have changed in the meantime.)

matrixschmatrix

#63 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:58 am

Can anyone who has the Godzilla blu check if they too have an odd jump of 10-20 seconds at about 47:00 into Godzilla, King of the Monsters?

Napier

#64 Post by Napier » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:44 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:Can anyone who has the Godzilla blu check if they too have an odd jump of 10-20 seconds at about 47:00 into Godzilla, King of the Monsters?
I just checked the copy I received today. It plays perfectly.

matrixschmatrix

#65 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:19 am

Damn, must be a problem with my disc, then.

yeahimajerk

#66 Post by yeahimajerk » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:06 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:Damn, must be a problem with my disc, then.
It could be your DVD/Blu player. I used to have a pretty crappy Blu player. Last summer when I bought Black Narcissus it skipped and froze left and right. I took the disc back to B&N and lo and behold, the new disc did the same thing. It turns out it was my Blu player. Now, I have no problems with any Blu's.

duck duck

#67 Post by duck duck » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:26 pm

does anyone have the address to send discs to? I accidentally deleted the e-mail and I have a feeling they will be busy with other problems for a while, so I won't get a very timely response from them. Really wish I sent in the discs last week.

matrixschmatrix

#68 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Full text of the email:

We are glad to report we've received the corrected WHITE disc. We will be exchanging the Blu-ray discs directly from our New York office. Please send your WHITE disc, disc only please, to my attention at the address below. With the disc, please include your email address and postal address. Please do not include any packaging with your disc. When we receive your disc, we will send you the corrected copy and a $10 gift certificate to Criterion.com! The corrected CARLOS discs are not yet ready. If you would prefer to wait, and send your two discs together, that is no problem. We will send out another email when the CARLOS replacement disc is ready. Thank you for your patience while we were sorting out this audio issue! Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, and thank you for supporting Criterion!

Best,

Jon

The Criterion Collection
Attn: Jon Mulvaney
215 Park Avenue South
Floor 5
New York, NY 10003
Last edited by matrixschmatrix on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duck duck

#69 Post by duck duck » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:05 pm

How long has it taken people to get White? I sent mine off Feb 16th and haven't heard from them, not even an e-mail.

fdm

#70 Post by fdm » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:22 am

Apparently the Carlos replacement disc is now available as well.

duck duck

#71 Post by duck duck » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Carlos is available, apparently it took them so long to send me White because it was almost ready. I got both of them in the mail on Friday. The postage was canceled on the 26th.

riderontherain

#72 Post by riderontherain » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:35 am

duck duck wrote:Carlos is available, apparently it took them so long to send me White because it was almost ready. I got both of them in the mail on Friday. The postage was canceled on the 26th.
Does the problem with Carlos have to do with disc 1 or 2, or both? Thanks.

duck duck

#73 Post by duck duck » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Just disc 2 for Carlos Blu.

albucat

#74 Post by albucat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:53 pm

How long does Mulvaney usually take to respond to emails about these problems? I asked about sending in my disc for White early last week and am getting impatient.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#75 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:57 pm

Do you need to send an email first? Can't you just send in your disc along with a mailing address and email?