Known Problems and Replacement Discs

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Minkin

Re: Known Problems and Replacement Discs

#101 Post by Minkin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:39 pm

swo17 wrote:
Minkin wrote:A heads up (btw, this thread really needs to be updated, with a first post that lists every known problem, which should then be stickied - any volunteers?).
If you or someone else wants to draft that first post, send it to a mod and one of us can put it there.
Fine then, I'll come up with something. Though prepare for a bunch of people to chime in saying stuff like "the first edition of Salo back in 1998 had a misspelled booklet, that you could send in for a replacement). I'll see what all I can dig up. I'll try and focus on current releases (not the first edition of Salo) and what appears to be repeated/persistent problems (not someone having bought Battle of Algiers and found two disc 2s :P ).

manicsounds

#102 Post by manicsounds » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:41 am

Got my "Walkabout" replacement disc. Anyone else?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#103 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Summer Hours back in France . Scratched to fuck and put in a card mini-envelope with no wrapper/sleeve.
Must have saved all of 10 cents on postage.

willoneill

#104 Post by willoneill » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:18 pm

Has anyone NOT received their replacement disc(s), specifically Walkabout? I'm in Canada, and I'm wondering how long I should wait until re-contacting the artificial intelligence known as Mulvaney.

captveg

#105 Post by captveg » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:12 pm

I haven't got mine, but I'm guessing that's because I sent one not on the formal list (Monterey Pop).

captveg

#106 Post by captveg » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Just received M and Howards End today. Notably absent was Monterey Pop, the defective disc I sent in that is not on their formal list. However, the following note was included from Mulvaney:

"Please find exchanges for some of the discs you returned to us enclosed in this package. We are still waiting to get corrected versions of your remaining discs, which are in production - we will send those replacements out to you as soon as possible."

So I'd expect that list to get updated on the website at some point soon.

chatterjees

#107 Post by chatterjees » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:17 pm

I am not sure where exactly to post this. I got an email this morning from Criterion saying that I have been given a $10 gift certificate by The Criterion collection! What is that for? I can't find any other post about it here. So, did you guys also get one? Was it for the problematic discs? :-k

hearthesilence

#108 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:44 pm

I actually have THIRTEEN discs that I want to send back. Most of them actually aren't browning just yet, but they don't play right in every player.

Just curious, anyone else send back more? (No unique titles in mind, others have had problems with the same titles, and all of the ones I want to send back definitely have the same codes pressed in the rim.)

aox

#109 Post by aox » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Sorry if I missed it, but are they replacing Pierrot le Fou?

Additionally, the last hour of my copy of 8 1/2 isn't playing anymore. Should I risk sending that in if it isn't on the list?
Thank you for your email, and your patience in contacting us about your discs! We have confirmed that certain Blu-ray discs pressed at a replication facility that we used for a period in 2010 have become defective, showing a noticeable bronze discoloration on the underside and developing playback problems. We have confirmed the problem on seven titles, but not on all copies. All of these titles have since been re-pressed at a different pressing plant, and the vast majority of discs in circulation should not be affected.

The potentially affected Blu-ray titles are:

SUMMER HOURS
WALKABOUT
PARIS, TEXAS
M
THE SEVENTH SEAL
PIERROT LE FOU
HOWARDS END

As you have found that your Blu-ray copies of some of these titles do not play, please send your discs in to the following address for replacements:

Jon Mulvaney

The Criterion Collection

Please include only your discs -- no packaging -- along with the address to which you'd like us to mail your replacement. We will not be replacing or exchanging packaging. There is no need to email us in addition.

If we learn that other titles are similarly defective, we will add them to the list and continue to replace them as well. Thank you for your understanding as we resolve this issue, and thanks so much for supporting the Criterion Collection!

Minkin

#110 Post by Minkin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:17 am

I (finally) updated the first post - and I will maintain it from here on out with any and all problems that occur (hopefully none!)

Please let me know if I have missed anything! or if you don't like my symbol system (I couldn't resist using CDI as a term). I'm also not 100% sure on the ARD / CDI status on some of those that I don't have the symbols already on - so let me know for those as well.

-Also, I don't think we need to bother re-posting problems from like forever ago - as I don't think anyone with the original DVD release of Playtime is going to be concerned at this point / get a replacement blu-ray set in return :P

hanshotfirst1138

#111 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:23 am

Damn, I keep forgetting about the bronzing issue, I have to check my discs!

rrenault

#112 Post by rrenault » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:53 am

I received my replacements for Walkabout and Pierrot Le Fou a few weeks back. There were no scratched thankfully, although the discs were in need of a lint free cloth. Oh well.

bainbridgezu

#113 Post by bainbridgezu » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:05 am

Regarding the audio issues with Carlos and Three Colors, is there any indication on the outside packaging that a copy is of the corrected pressing, something like the barcode sticker on Eraserhead?

Gregory

#114 Post by Gregory » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:21 pm

My experience contacting Criterion about replacing the first pressing of Code Unknown with the missing frames was a complete waste of time, which I'm sharing partly because their customer service with replacements has been held up as a model, for example, compared to Olive Films.
Back in May, after other members here had received their new discs, I inquired about getting a replacement via mulvaney@criterion.com. They requested that I send my address along with a picture of the disc to prove I purchased it and said they'd be happy to send a replacement as soon as I did this. I sent a pic showing that I had the first pressing along with my address and heard nothing, but waited six weeks to allow time for the replacement to arrive. When it didn't, I politely inquired again and this was ignored. I waited another four weeks and again politely asked whether there was any other info I needed to provide or my request had fallen through the cracks, but they've ignored this as well. Fortunately the Code Unknown issue wasn't a big deal to me, but worryingly I have less confidence in Criterion's discs now due to the manufacturing defects that have cropped up with various discs and the apparently inconsistent support for technical issues, even though the site states "We are happy to replace any defective DVDs or Blu-ray discs you have."

Gregory

#115 Post by Gregory » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Just to give credit where it's due: Criterion just got back to me with apologies, saying that my emails had been lost in their inbox. They sent my replacement disc and a $10 gift certificate to boot. Confidence restored!

pzadvance

#116 Post by pzadvance » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:47 am

Just experienced a strange issue with the first disc of the Samurai Trilogy Blu-ray reissue. For some reason the first film simply wouldn't play. When selected, the screen went black and stayed at the 00:00 timecode. Struggling with fastforwarding seemed to prompt it a second or two forward, but with no regularity. Most bizarrely, the second feature (on the same disc) seemed to play without issue, as did the third feature (on the second disc). I tried all the usual little tricks, ejecting the disc, rebooting the player, etc. but to no avail. Anything like this ever happen to anyone else before? Does it sound like some bizarre printing error?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#117 Post by Drucker » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:41 pm

This exact thing happened to me with Underworld on the JVS boxset. Other two discs played fine. Once I took a video and demonstrated it to Criterion they sent me a replacement (at first they suggested I check firmware, etc.

Billy Beta

#118 Post by Billy Beta » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Hey all,

I've been having problems with my Guillermo del Toro boxset. It seems like the discs aren't catching or something. I tried Devil's Backbone four or five times (seperate occasions) and no luck. Then on the sixth it played. Tried the Cronos disc straight after, same problem. Lots of clicking like it's not registering and then no cigar.

I've bought various since the boxset, notably Othello and 4k Complete Monterey Pop and no problems.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks in Advance.

ftsoh

#119 Post by ftsoh » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Emailed Jon Mulvaney about my "A Night to Remember" 1st Edition DVD not loading a couple days ago. Still waiting his response.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#120 Post by cdnchris » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:56 pm

I had the same problem and they replaced it, but that was a year or two before the new edition so I don't know what they would do now.

ftsoh

#121 Post by ftsoh » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:26 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:56 pm
I had the same problem and they replaced it, but that was a year or two before the new edition so I don't know what they would do now.
Quick update, got my replacement copy of "A Night to Remember". It is the original edition (Second Printing 2000).

Billy Beta

#122 Post by Billy Beta » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:17 pm

I bought a brand new copy of The Lady Vanishes on Bluray. It wont load. I've tried lots of my other discs, including the Guillermo del Toro set that wouldn't load (which does) but The Lady Vanishes simply wont. I went on Amazon.com and it seems there is other people that have the same problem.

ShellOilJunior

#123 Post by ShellOilJunior » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:27 am

Billy Beta wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:17 pm
I bought a brand new copy of The Lady Vanishes on Bluray. It wont load. I've tried lots of my other discs, including the Guillermo del Toro set that wouldn't load (which does) but The Lady Vanishes simply wont. I went on Amazon.com and it seems there is other people that have the same problem.
I've got the same problem with my copy. It gets as far as showing the "C" in the top left but won't advance beyond that to load the menu.

Blu-ray players I've tested it on:

PS3
Sony BDPS3700
Sony UBP-X700

Zaki

#124 Post by Zaki » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:04 pm

I had a similar issue with The Lady Vanishes (BR). I sent Criterion my copy and received a replacement that worked fine. I guess you have to write to Mulvaney.

Billy Beta

#125 Post by Billy Beta » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Zaki wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:04 pm
I had a similar issue with The Lady Vanishes (BR). I sent Criterion my copy and received a replacement that worked fine. I guess you have to write to Mulvaney.
Wow. Then it's a legitimate problem. That's at least 7-8 people that have had the same problem. I live in the UK, what a ball-ache having to send the disc to the US...

Thanks for the responses. Confirms it's not the player.