The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
DaBargainHunta

Re: The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

#151 Post by DaBargainHunta » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Grand Wazoo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:52 am
I tried watching The Ear via my roku and it instead played Il Sorpasso. I then tried Il Sorpasso to see if they simply switched the files by accident and it played....Il Sorpasso. I thought this may be roku-specific but the same thing happens when watching on a browser. Unless the ill sore possum was some kind of omni-clue, I guess Criterion has a lot more maintenance to tackle.
There isn't even an option to watch it now. No "Watch" button at all. Weird.

Hopefully that means Criterion is aware of the issue and fixing it.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/the-ear-1

DeprongMori

#152 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Anyone figured out yet how to turn off "Play Next" on the Apple TV 4K?

I found the setting on iPhone iOS "Criterion Channel" app, but cannot find it on Apple TV 4K "Criterion Channel" app.

backwater

#153 Post by backwater » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:31 pm

jkranes wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:18 pm
It does not solve the 24 vs 23.976 frame dropping issue, which I understand in theory but can't really seem to detect myself from the content I've been watching, but it at least avoids 3:2 pull down at 60Hz.
Thanks for investigating! What does the bold part mean in layman's terms?

jkranes

#154 Post by jkranes » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:53 pm

What does the bold part mean in layman's terms?
3:2 pulldown is how 24 frames per second are displayed when using a 60Hz display, due to the fact that 24 does not divide evenly into 60. There's a good explanation here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/ ... rison_2474 (scroll down a bit to the section titled "THE CAUSE OF JUDDER ON 24P VIDEO".

porquenegar

#155 Post by porquenegar » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:06 pm

I received a response today from Criterion Channel Technical support regarding the Error -3 message. See below:

===========================

Hi there,

Thanks for sending this over and please accept our apologies for the delay. This message is just to let you know that our engineers are aware of the "Error code -3" you're experiencing on your Roku device and are working to fix the problem as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience while they look into this and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

We are aiming to get back in touch with you when we get to the bottom of the issue and deploy a fix.

Thank you once again for your patience and let us know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Magic Hate Ball

#156 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Would love an option to be able to choose a resolution and let the movie buffer until it's available, rather than sit through five minutes of cubistic imagery and hope it'll catch up.

willoneill

#157 Post by willoneill » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm

Magic Hate Ball wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm
Would love an option to be able to choose a resolution and let the movie buffer until it's available, rather than sit through five minutes of cubistic imagery and hope it'll catch up.
I assume that's your own internet connection. Every title I've played has come to full resolution before the wacky C stopped spinning.

DaBargainHunta

#158 Post by DaBargainHunta » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:22 pm

DaBargainHunta wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:42 pm
Grand Wazoo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:52 am
I tried watching The Ear via my roku and it instead played Il Sorpasso. I then tried Il Sorpasso to see if they simply switched the files by accident and it played....Il Sorpasso. I thought this may be roku-specific but the same thing happens when watching on a browser. Unless the ill sore possum was some kind of omni-clue, I guess Criterion has a lot more maintenance to tackle.
There isn't even an option to watch it now. No "Watch" button at all. Weird.

Hopefully that means Criterion is aware of the issue and fixing it.
SpoilerShow
https://www.criterionchannel.com/the-ear-1
This appears to be fixed, or at least the "Watch" option is back. I can't test it right now on my Chromebook because because of the "external monitor" DRM issue, but I assume it would be fine on my Roku.

LCantoni

#159 Post by LCantoni » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:23 am

I reported two remaining Roku issues and I guess we're still waiting for fixes:

1. Error Code -3.
2. No closed captioning, even though I have it set for "On always."

I've also experienced an "Unable to load" issue on occasion, but exiting the movie and going back to it cleared it up.

Enjoying the content immensely, which makes these glitches even more frustrating, but Criterion seems motivated to keep its customers happy, so I hope the fixes will come soon.

backwater

#160 Post by backwater » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Update on the Apple TV 4K dropped frames/stuttering issue - after a couple rounds of back-and-forth information, VHX support just got back to me with the following:
Thanks for sending this over. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working to fix the problem as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience while they look into this and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Let us know if you have any questions in the meantime!
At least they're acknowledging the issue.

Magic Hate Ball

#161 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:11 am

willoneill wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm
Magic Hate Ball wrote:
I assume that's your own internet connection. Every title I've played has come to full resolution before the wacky C stopped spinning.
I mean, yeah, duh, I'd just like the option to let it buffer first.

alexrinse

#162 Post by alexrinse » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:35 am

I had this once or twice and I also get this on occasion with Kanopy which appears to use the same software.... try pressing back to exit the film, then re-play it straight away - it usually sorts it.

unclehulot

#163 Post by unclehulot » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:38 am

Magic Hate Ball wrote:
willoneill wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm
Magic Hate Ball wrote:
I mean, yeah, duh, I'd just like the option to let it buffer first.
Usually just hitting the pause button for a few seconds does the trick (if you’re having that problem).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaBargainHunta

#164 Post by DaBargainHunta » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:53 pm

You can now search by director, country, genre, etc. on the website.
The Criterion Collection
5 hrs ·

Looking for something to watch on the Channel? Now you can search by director, country, genre, and more! Click through to add films to your watch list so they'll be right there waiting for you when you start watching on any of the apps! ✨
films.criterionchannel.com

BTW, Criterion Channel finally acknowledged the Roku "Error Code -3" issue:
We’re aware of this problem affecting some files on Roku, and the development team is working to resolve it as quickly as possible. It's a top priority for us, and we hope to have a fix in place very soon. Thanks for hanging in there!
https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/sta ... 3398388738

BrianB

#165 Post by BrianB » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:05 am

LCantoni wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:23 am
I reported two remaining Roku issues and I guess we're still waiting for fixes:

1. Error Code -3.
2. No closed captioning, even though I have it set for "On always."

I've also experienced an "Unable to load" issue on occasion, but exiting the movie and going back to it cleared it up.

Enjoying the content immensely, which makes these glitches even more frustrating, but Criterion seems motivated to keep its customers happy, so I hope the fixes will come soon.
Yeah, I’m having the closed captioning issue as well, which is a problem since I am hard of hearing and do not want to disturb the entire house.

jkranes

#166 Post by jkranes » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:35 am

If you care about 5.1 sound you should let Criterion know. I sent a letter to inquire about 5.1 sound and they responded that it is "something we're looking to support in the future." So I would assume they more they hear from customers who care about it, the more likely it is to move up their priority queue.

DaBargainHunta

#167 Post by DaBargainHunta » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:41 am

New Roku update (Build 2). I had to manually update it from system settings, but I am sure everyone will get it automatically soon enough.

I am hoping it fixes Error Code -3. Subtitles/captions still don't work, unfortunately. One thing at a time though, I guess.

JakeStewart

#168 Post by JakeStewart » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:36 pm

At the end of Human Desire the error code still shows, but it was in the tiny top right part of the screen. It disappeared after a few seconds and the video continued to play. Haven’t checked out any other films, but it looks like they’ve improved if not completely fixed the issue.

DaBargainHunta

#169 Post by DaBargainHunta » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:53 pm

JakeStewart wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:36 pm
At the end of Human Desire the error code still shows, but it was in the tiny top right part of the screen. It disappeared after a few seconds and the video continued to play. Haven’t checked out any other films, but it looks like they’ve improved if not completely fixed the issue.
I'm a bit puzzled why they can't figure out how to actually solve the problem, but still, that's good news - or better news, at least. I think most of us can live with that for the time being. Baby steps, I guess.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#170 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 pm

I searched manually for an update -- and my Roku (Strean Stick +) reported there was no recent update available.

DaBargainHunta

#171 Post by DaBargainHunta » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 pm
I searched manually for an update -- and my Roku (Strean Stick +) reported there was no recent update available.
On the main Roku menu, highlight The Criterion Channel box and click * on your remote.

If you have Build 2, you're on the latest update.

irregularesimperfect

#172 Post by irregularesimperfect » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:37 am

Beginning about five days ago, when I watch part of a film/video then exit it, the point at which I left off is not saved. The onscreen button on the video's 'profile' says "Start Watching", not "Resume Watching", and the video is not shown on my 'Continue watching' list. Meanwhile, the one film I had interrupted when this all started remains listed and, when clicked, resumes from the point that was saved a few days ago.

Is this a bug that has been reported previously. It all worked as expected until a few days ago. I'm using the Roku app, Version 4.5, build 2.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#173 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:25 pm

I watched In Search of Ozu -- it worked fine -- until almost the end of the credits -- when it crashed.

unclehulot

The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

#174 Post by unclehulot » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:06 am

irregularesimperfect wrote:Beginning about five days ago, when I watch part of a film/video then exit it, the point at which I left off is not saved. The onscreen button on the video's 'profile' says "Start Watching", not "Resume Watching", and the video is not shown on my 'Continue watching' list. Meanwhile, the one film I had interrupted when this all started remains listed and, when clicked, resumes from the point that was saved a few days ago.

Is this a bug that has been reported previously. It all worked as expected until a few days ago. I'm using the Roku app, Version 4.5, build 2.
Same for me (but only noticed it today) on Apple TV and Fire TV stick.

Update: Seems to be working again as of 5/1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by unclehulot on Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#175 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:41 pm

Criterion Channel is now totally unwatchable on our Roku Stream Stick+. I tried watching several things -- and all cut in and out -- a bit of movie, a bit of snow, a pinkish screen which returns to the movie, repeat, over and over. Very disappointing. Netflix works fine -- so I doubt there is a connection issue.