The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
ModelShopAbschied

Re: The Criterion Channel

#26 Post by ModelShopAbschied » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:54 pm

OldBobbyPeru wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:50 pm
People shouldn't judge or leap to conclusions about the channel based on this Movie of the Week on the Vimeo OTT app. This is NOT what the Criterion Channel will be based on at all--they are developing their own stand alone app, and the movie of the week is just a thank you to the charter subscribers, delivered on a temporary streaming platform.

FWIW, I've watched both of the movies using the Vimeo OTT app on the Apple TV without problems. It also plays in my Windows 7 Chrome browser.
Yeah the comments on this page are pretty ridiculous tbh

Roger Ryan

#27 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:47 pm

In the email that Criterion just sent announcing the Albert Finney double feature, it is stipulated that all forthcoming movies-of-the-week will only be available to view on desktop and mobile. They specifically note that Chromecast and AppleTV are not supported, but it's obvious that the VHX app is not supported either. The email states that, starting April 8th, all of the previously-announced streaming platforms will be supported for the official launch.

This is disappointing because I have no interest in watching the movie-of-the-week on my desktop or phone for the next two months.

DeprongMori

#28 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Damn, that’s too bad. Watching the films and features on VHX on AppleTV has worked flawlessly for the first two films. I may just try to catch the Criterion supplements for the two Finney films as I have the films themselves in the “Woodfall” box set.

If the bonus period now only supports desktop and mobile, I guess I’ll just wait until April. I have no desire to watch feature films on my phone or PC. Not “officially” supporting VHX is one thing, but pulling it entirely is a bad idea.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#29 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:47 pm

They're probably just trying to minimize the degree to which they're having to deal with technical issues when this is a 100% free thing they're doing just to stoke interest, not something anyone should have expectations for whatsoever

Glowingwabbit

#30 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:12 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:47 pm
They're probably just trying to minimize the degree to which they're having to deal with technical issues when this is a 100% free thing they're doing just to stoke interest, not something anyone should have expectations for whatsoever
Exactly. From a tech standpoint it makes zero sense to devote resources to something that is really just a "hey, while you're waiting for our channel, here's a little something to tide you over" (which I don't believe was ever mentioned initially as a charter subscription benefit)

DaBargainHunta

#31 Post by DaBargainHunta » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:12 pm
Exactly. From a tech standpoint it makes zero sense to devote resources to something that is really just a "hey, while you're waiting for our channel, here's a little something to tide you over" (which I don't believe was ever mentioned initially as a charter subscription benefit)
VHX/Roku was definitely mentioned on the site the first week. If you click Help and search for the word Roku, you can still see it for a split second before it disappears. But yeah, all mentions of it have basically been scrubbed from the site.

Here's a quick screenshot I took of my search today. The top option is literally blink and you'll miss it before it vanishes, but this is proof that it was there originally.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#32 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:58 pm

DaEvidenceHunta, all is explained above your post, they've removed the VHX option because they were running into technical problems with the various versions of the VHX app and figured it was best to avoid it until the service launches in earnest

DaBargainHunta

#33 Post by DaBargainHunta » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:58 pm
DaEvidenceHunta, all is explained above your post, they've removed the VHX option because they were running into technical problems with the various versions of the VHX app and figured it was best to avoid it until the service launches in earnest
I wish I could think of a cutesy name for you too, but I got nothing. :)

Does this mean they won't be using VHX/Vimeo for the launch? I understand they'll have a new, official, separate Criterion Channel app, but I was under the assumption that it would be powered by the VHX/Vimeo video player. Who knows though...

If they aren't using VHX/Vimeo for the actual Criterion Channel, it's strange to use it now.

I guess we'll all find out on April 8th.
KJones77 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:29 pm
I think you misunderstood. They meant that this Movie of the Week deal was never mentioned as a benefit, not that VHX support wasn't mentioned.
Fair enough, and that's true.

It's still disappointing that I have no way to watch these though. (They'll all be available at launch, I'm sure, but still... I was looking forward to watching these each week and posting about them.)

Oh well, first world problems and all that.

D50

#34 Post by D50 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:41 pm

I watched the first movie Mikey and Nicky when this started and it played fine, now i get the following error:

Sorry, this video cannot be played while your device is connected to this external monitor.

No change to my setup; pc tower, chrome, windows 7 professional.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#35 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 pm

D50 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:41 pm
I watched the first movie Mikey and Nicky when this started and it played fine, now i get the following error:

Sorry, this video cannot be played while your device is connected to this external monitor.

No change to my setup; pc tower, chrome, windows 7 professional.
See perkin-warbeck's comments above yours on the last page.

D50

#36 Post by D50 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:26 am

perkin-warbeck wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:35 pm
Update: after a lengthy email discussion with support, it was determined that the reason I can't stream the Criterion Channel on my Windows PC is that the PC is connected to two displays. It doesn't matter that only one display is powered on. I needed to physically disconnect the cable to the second display. Then I was able to stream successfully.
DarkImbecile wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 pm
See perkin-warbeck's comments above yours on the last page.
I was following his posts on the subject since he's also using a PC. I've always only had one monitor. No change to my setup from Mikey and Nicky. No response from TCC help yet. Hope to iron this out before the real launch.

fdm

#37 Post by fdm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:52 pm

So anyway just to chime in, on my Roku / real tv configuration last night, when I went to see for myself what would happen, when I clicked to play the film it thought about it for a little while and in the end didn't play anything. Decided to watch a silly movie on Prime instead.

D50

#38 Post by D50 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:53 am

Basically, they're saying pack sand until more options come available. at least Filmstruck troubleshooted with me. These guys say hey, it's too hard. Wait for other formats. If it's not going to work on my pc, that's it - refund time.

Hi,

I'm happy to clarify.

The Criterion Channel has recently enabled DRM and HDCP protection on their content. These are technologies that prevent unauthorized playback and copying, and they can impact your ability to watch on certain devices that are not compatible with the technologies.

The following information is a general summary and can apply to devices like Roku, Chromecast, smart phones and computer set-ups.

Currently our DRM system is not supported by Chromecast. If you're unable to play Criterion's content, we recommend using the web browser of your computer or mobile device.

Additionally, if your setup is not HDCP compliant, the following may occur:

* The video player will display an error
* Playback may be limited to audio only or video only
* In most cases, the video won't play at all

If you're connected from a HDCP compliant device, for example, you shouldn't have any issues viewing the content. However, if you're receiving an error such as: "Cannot play video - this device does not support secure video playback," it means something in your playback chain is incompatible.

Troubleshooting can get very tricky with HDCP, as the issue can stem from anything from your cables, TV, drivers, operating system, and even the ports on your devices. For instance, while it is generally supported on Chrome, your operating system or hardware might not be compatible. If you're still unable to access your videos, your best bet is to change or simplify your setup as much as you can. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this causes you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that each provider implements HDCP differently. For instance, you may be able to play HDCP-protected Blu-rays or protected videos from other apps, and still have issues with The Criterion Collection's movies on the same setup.

I understand this limits your options for viewing the Movies of the Week right now, but the Criterion Channel will launch on April 8 in the U.S. and Canada and will be available on desktop, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku, iOS, and Android devices. At that time, you'll have many more options for accessing the content.

Please accept our sincerest apologies in the meantime.

Glowingwabbit

#39 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:51 am

Just a thought but maybe wait until the ACTUAL channel launches

D50

#40 Post by D50 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:51 am
Just a thought but maybe wait until the ACTUAL channel launches
I'd rather trouble shoot now and get it running smoothly.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#41 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:20 pm

What you're watching now is not the Criterion Channel

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#42 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Exactly - it's literally a gift for being patient and people are taking it as an invitation to gripe. Unreal.

DaBargainHunta

#43 Post by DaBargainHunta » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:32 pm

swo17 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:20 pm
What you're watching now is not the Criterion Channel
Right, but it's a strategy I don't understand.

Why not launch with at least a beta of what the channel will actually be?

Instead, many people can't access the videos on the website.

I won't complain about the VHX Roku app again, as that was only officially mentioned the first week, and then official support and all mentions of it were dropped.

But it does make me wonder, if they're not using VHX/Vimeo when Criterion Channel launches, why use it now?

Or are they using it? And if they are, well, people are right to be at least a little bit concerned about the current issues with it.

Yes, I'm sure the official app will work just fine when it's launched on April 8th (or at least work fine in the long run after a week or two of early post-launch jitters), but will loading videos from the website continue to be problematic for many users?
371229 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:16 pm
It's crazy... I keep getting emails from them asking for me to sign up... and pay for a physical channel that isn't available yet. Now seriously, why would I commit to something without seeing it first? And then they want me to stay committed forever and ever and ever (to save a tiny bit of money over their normal asking price).

I say... no thank you, sir.
Because no one is paying yet, and won't pay for the first month. You literally have nothing to lose.

There was an issue at first with the website showing earlier an renewal date, but that has been fixed.

Before

Now

ModelShopAbschied

#44 Post by ModelShopAbschied » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:52 am

This is what I meant by the comments being ridiculous:
DaBargainHunta wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:12 pm
However, this doesn't exactly inspire much confidence in that working well either.
You list off all of these issues you've been having with a de facto test run limited to a narrow pool of customers, then transition into speculative paranoia about the actual launch of the service (including the OS applications nobody has even used yet) being anywhere from inconvenient to unusable.

I realize the recent video game market has normalized the concept of test phases and official releases being virtually identical, but that still largely applies strictly to that industry. The test run you've been using is very barebones; the current stage barely qualifies as even having a user interface. So it's indeed a bit ridiculous to start worrying or making assumptions about the official launch based on what you've been using.

What's more is official launches — particularly ones for a media service like this one, which will undoubtedly have a flood of new users charging in during its first 48 hours — commonly do begin with a few bugs because nothing is ever 100% accounted for and covered in these things (e.g., traffic, server performance, et. al). Almost every launch has a (very) short period where they quickly adapt to issues in order to get users to a seamless experience. But this is normal, and it's far more likely that the issues you're implicating above won't exist among the potential launch day ones. (Although, I'd also be tempted to put money on you and others who've made similar assertions saturating the thread with "My fears came true!" posts if things don't run perfectly smooth without a hiccup around launch day, which is obviously an absurd expectation.)

But you also say this immediately after:
With all of that said, I realize we're still in the "beta" stage and no one's paying yet, so I guess patience is a virtue.
If you realize it's in its de facto beta test, why would you even talk about it "not inspiring much confidence" concerning the official release? Why not just talk about issues you're having with this test run, see if you can get assistance, and then say something more sensible like: "I can't wait for the official launch with the full service so I don't have to worry about these things anymore." Which is also true, because the things you mentioned above are exclusive to this test run, or at the very least, the desktop player — so worrying about the application functionality because of a beta test desktop player is nonsensical.
Still, fingers crossed that the actual launch is flawless. I think I can speak for film buffs everywhere when I say that we really need this to succeed!
Like I said above: a flawless launch is an absurd expectation. It's only a tiny bit more absurd than expecting limited beta desktop issues to be prevalent in a totally different app UX. And "success" is certainly not only achieved by a flawless launch.

You (and others) need to take a breath and find a middleground between (1) test run issues being major omens for official launch of a full-featured service; and (2) a flawless, zero-frustration experience during the launch period. Choosing one or the other would be unwise, but championing both of those things at the same time like you're doing is what I refer to when I say: "Some of these comments are ridiculous."

baba

#45 Post by baba » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:23 pm

Hello,

I've been searching to find out what the quality of streaming is like. Are we talking 720 or 1080 or higher :-)

Is the quality of stream dedicated by the device (for example better quality stream for apple-tv vs roku)?

I really want to get this service just unsure about the quality...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#46 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:07 pm

It's very likely 1080p but someone should be able to confirm. And no, most streaming devices have supported that quality level for years now, so one device wouldn't have an advantage over another.

Just keep in mind that the transfers for films are going to vary depending on the source, some are going to essentially be upscaled from Criterion's DVD transfer, but most will be more modern than that.

The Pachyderminator

#47 Post by The Pachyderminator » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:34 pm

The films I've streamed so far on the Criterion Channel were 1080p as far as I could tell, without the picture quality issues that often plagued Filmstruck. I really wouldn't expect 4K.

DRW.mov

#48 Post by DRW.mov » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:03 pm

The Criterion Channel’s hosting platform, VHX, does not support 4K playback.

dustybooks

#49 Post by dustybooks » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:28 pm

I am very psyched for Monday, though I'm still unclear on whether this is going to work on my LG smart TV without my buying a supplemental device like a Roku or Fire stick. (Which I'm happy to do, i just want to make sure it's actually necessary first.) I pulled up the TV's web browser and logged in but none of the currently available videos play, and of course I know the Movies of the Week weren't meant to be fully compatible with everything, but the help page says something about getting an email from VHX when logging in and none of that happened, or the site just isn't ready for that yet. The mystery continues...

movielocke

#50 Post by movielocke » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:21 pm

dustybooks wrote:I am very psyched for Monday, though I'm still unclear on whether this is going to work on my LG smart TV without my buying a supplemental device like a Roku or Fire stick. (Which I'm happy to do, i just want to make sure it's actually necessary first.) I pulled up the TV's web browser and logged in but none of the currently available videos play, and of course I know the Movies of the Week weren't meant to be fully compatible with everything, but the help page says something about getting an email from VHX when logging in and none of that happened, or the site just isn't ready for that yet. The mystery continues...
My Sony tv has a an android component so I go to the android App Store, I believe that’s what they mean by smart tv support, not proprietary manufacturor app stores. It’s how I watched filmstruck on the Sony (we have an Apple TV on the older Panasonic plasma)