The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
konoyaro

Re: The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

#276 Post by konoyaro » Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm

It would be nice if they allowed voice search while using their app on AppleTV.
For example, while on my Apple TV, if I open the Criterion Channel app, and then query Siri using the voice feature on the remote for a movie such as "Rashomon", I get taken out of Criterion Channel and am shown that Rashomon is available to view for a fee on Amazon. No option to chose to view it in Criterion Channel as part of my subscription.

As shown here, Criterion Channel is not listed as a supported app with Siri:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205321

I contacted their customer support and got a reply that had nothing to do my request.

dustybooks

#277 Post by dustybooks » Wed May 13, 2020 1:44 pm

I'm an LG owner but I can only access the CC using the Roku. I just went and got the cheap $40 one and haven't had any problems with it. I came to this conclusion back in the early days of the channel but to my knowledge the situation hasn't changed.

frozenhamster

#278 Post by frozenhamster » Thu May 14, 2020 9:13 pm

konoyaro wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm
For example, while on my Apple TV, if I open the Criterion Channel app, and then query Siri using the voice feature on the remote for a movie such as "Rashomon", I get taken out of Criterion Channel and am shown that Rashomon is available to view for a fee on Amazon. No option to chose to view it in Criterion Channel as part of my subscription.

I contacted their customer support and got a reply that had nothing to do my request.
Yeah, even more than Siri, I’d love for the app to connect with Apple’s TV app so that it’s movies are all searchable in one place. I’ve also contacted customer service, but no response yet.

El Manchego

#279 Post by El Manchego » Sat May 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Anyone else getting the following error after recently updating Chrome?

Unable to play video.
Sorry, this video cannot be played while your device is connected to this external monitor. For more information, see our Help Center.

I've never encountered this issue (just watching on a macbook with chrome) but after an update installed this morning, nothing will play unless I switch to Safari.

dcdrew

#280 Post by dcdrew » Sun May 24, 2020 4:17 pm

El Manchego wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Unable to play video.
Sorry, this video cannot be played while your device is connected to this external monitor. For more information, see our Help Center.
I've started seeing that error in Chrome on my Windows PC in the past week. If you search around you'll find that DRM/HDCP restrictions are commonly cited as a cause of that error. Switching to the Edge browser worked for me, so it may be a Chrome-specific issue. As long as I can find a browser that works I guess I'll be OK.

felipe

#281 Post by felipe » Wed May 27, 2020 2:36 pm

I noticed some older Hollywood movies, specially from the 1930s, don't have the option for closed captions. Is there a reason for that?

Toland's Mitchell

#282 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Wed May 27, 2020 4:18 pm

El Manchego wrote:

Unable to play video.

I've never encountered this issue (just watching on a macbook with chrome) but after an update installed this morning, nothing will play unless I switch to Safari.
Yes.

I've been having issues using CC through Chrome for about three weeks. It started having trouble playing movies of any resolution no matter what my internet speed was. Even when my speed was between 7 and 9 mbps, it would lag or not play at all. Did anybody else encounter this? It slowly improved, to the point it would play at 540p, although it should have been playing at maximum resolution. But now there's this external monitor error message. Can't win with Chrome. Can't win with CC customer support, cause they never respond. I guess I'll try Edge, even though it was always worse every time I tried it in the past.

felipe

#283 Post by felipe » Wed May 27, 2020 5:11 pm

Toland's Mitchell wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:18 pm
El Manchego wrote:

Unable to play video.

Yes.

I've been having issues using CC through Chrome for about three weeks. It started having trouble playing movies of any resolution no matter what my internet speed was. Even when my speed was between 7 and 9 mbps, it would lag or not play at all. Did anybody else encounter this? It slowly improved, to the point it would play at 540p, although it should have been playing at maximum resolution. But now there's this external monitor error message. Can't win with Chrome. Can't win with CC customer support, cause they never respond. I guess I'll try Edge, even though it was always worse every time I tried it in the past.
I tried Edge but it still won't play. Different message though: "The player is having trouble. We’ll have it back up and running as soon as possible."

Fellini's SantaCon

#284 Post by Fellini's SantaCon » Wed May 27, 2020 11:26 pm

felipe wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:11 pm

I tried Edge but it still won't play. Different message though: "The player is having trouble. We’ll have it back up and running as soon as possible."
I had the the same problems in Chrome and then Edge this morning. The player worked when I tried Firefox.

backwater

#285 Post by backwater » Thu May 28, 2020 1:37 pm

konoyaro wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm

If you're already in the CC app, you can still use Siri voice search by going to the Search function, navigate down to start typing, but instead use the mic.

Toland's Mitchell

#286 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 pm

Still getting the same error message on Chrome. Edge is a no-go as well. Is there any browser that currently works?

A man stayed-put

#287 Post by A man stayed-put » Thu May 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Toland's Mitchell wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 pm
Still getting the same error message on Chrome. Edge is a no-go as well. Is there any browser that currently works?
I've had exactly the same experience. As mentioned above, Firefox appears to work ok.

Gaddis

#288 Post by Gaddis » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:47 pm

I've had the same error message this past week using chrome and a Bravia, but refreshing seems to get me round it, even though the error message stays on the laptop screen it still casts to the TV after the second or third refresh, annoying but I'm the channel all the same.

Toland's Mitchell

#289 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:02 pm

I had to download Firefox, but yes I can also confirm CC plays on that browser. It struggles to play at maximum resolution. It can usually play 720 smoothly, but if not I've had no issue at 540. Not ideal, but that could be due to our network, and not Firefox. I've never had to download a new browser just to stream something, and I'm not really happy I had to. But at least something works.

A man stayed-put

#290 Post by A man stayed-put » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:23 am

Criterion Channel is working again on Chrome (at least for me). There was a browser update within the last couple of days, which may have done the trick.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#291 Post by ando » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:45 pm

Yeah, the Firefox and updated Chrome browsers have been the way to go with my older monitor (HDMI cables).

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#292 Post by ando » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:55 am

Ok, this is for anyone still getting an error message on their PC or laptop. When Firefox and an updated Chrome browser wasn't doing the trick I actually went out and bought a new monitor. I needed to (despite my growing desperation) - it was ten years old. However, I was still getting the error message about incompatible monitors and HDMI connections. Then a friend told me to update my graphics card (though my computer is fairly new).

It worked. Device Manager>Display Adapters>right click update drivers (via the internet)

Hope it helps someone.

Now Seven Samurai uninterrupted. 🤞🏼

Puckitos

#293 Post by Puckitos » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:12 pm

I give up. Been trying for FOUR MONTHS, practically the entire quarantine, trying to figure out how to get CC to play on my desktop PC's Google Chrome. One minute it's a supported browser error message (huh? CC says it runs on the latest version of Chrome, which I have) the next it's an "external monitor" error, which wasn't a problem when I played CC via Edge. Since the upgrade I havent been able to watch CC at all. I've updated drivers, fiddled with antivirus & security settings, logged out & refreshed, etc etc. I have NO such problems streaming from other sites but Criterion has made this a d--n frustrating experiece and of course emailing their IT dept has been of no help: "We're aware of the problem and it may be solved in the future." Pffft. Thanks for nothing. That's something that should've been addressed before the rollout. Even on my computer at work I can't play Criterion on Chrome or Firefox.
Therefore I appeal to those who are lucky enough to be able to watch it on Chrome, what are your EXACT settings? It seems I have to have an IT degree to able to get this to play and I'm NOT buying a new monitor or a Roku just for one site but maybe it's something simple I've overlooked. I've even tried installing a version of Safari for my PC and that didn't work either. Please help!!!!!! I didn't join Criterion Channel just to be forced to watch it on my tiny phone. Seems like defeating the purpose.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#294 Post by ando » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:45 am

Puckitos wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:12 pm
Therefore I appeal to those who are lucky enough to be able to watch it on Chrome, what are your EXACT settings?
Settings are irrelevant if your adapters have not been updated. I went through a similar situation earlier this summer (see the post just above yours) and found the update to be the solution for watching CC on Chrome.

senseabove

#295 Post by senseabove » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:41 pm

Lately, in Safari, I can't get the playback bar to disappear like it should when I stop moving my pointer or move the pointer off-screen, and I have to use Safari because I'm connecting via HDMI to my projector. If I'm not in full screen mode, the "Back to Browse" and "Add to My List" buttons also remain visible. Chrome works fine when not connected to an HDMI-out. Anyone else seeing anything like that?

knives

#296 Post by knives » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:31 am

I get to do my mfunk impression and complain that this isn’t available on flex which I just got. Why won’t all the companies support my comfort?

DavidBWriter

The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

#297 Post by DavidBWriter » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:23 pm

Hello, I am watching Criterion Channel on a Dell monitor and an Amazon TV Fire stick. Everything works fine except for one thing: The volume control. When I installed and registered the Fire Stick, the volume control worked fine during the audio/sound test segment (with the up and down arrows), but when I start a Criterion film, it appears to be set at a single volume and cannot be adjusted. (The mute button doesn't work, either). How can I fix this?

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#298 Post by ando » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:42 pm

DavidBWriter wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:23 pm
Hello, I am watching Criterion Channel on a Dell monitor and an Amazon TV Fire stick. Everything works fine except for one thing: The volume control. When I installed and registered the Fire Stick, the volume control worked fine during the audio/sound test segment (with the up and down arrows), but when I start a Criterion film, it appears to be set at a single volume and cannot be adjusted. (The mute button doesn't work, either). How can I fix this?
Doesn’t sound like a Criterion Channel issue as much as a Fire Sick one. If you haven’t already read this quick tech check.

noinspiration

#299 Post by noinspiration » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:15 pm

Hello all,

I have a problem using the Criterion Channel through a Sony TV (I believe it's a Bravia, but it's a hand-me-down so I'm not sure). Basically, everything I've tried to watch has been stuck on a high frame rate and thus looks like trash. I've turned off motion smoothing in the TV's settings, and neither Netflix nor Hulu is doing it. It's only Criterion, and only on this TV -- the other TV in the house doesn't do this. I have no idea what else to try, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#300 Post by ando » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:15 pm

noinspiration wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:15 pm
Hello all,

I have a problem using the Criterion Channel through a Sony TV (I believe it's a Bravia, but it's a hand-me-down so I'm not sure). Basically, everything I've tried to watch has been stuck on a high frame rate and thus looks like trash. I've turned off motion smoothing in the TV's settings, and neither Netflix nor Hulu is doing it. It's only Criterion, and only on this TV -- the other TV in the house doesn't do this. I have no idea what else to try, so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hope you've found a solution by now but if not perhaps this will help. Good luck.