BEST BOOKLET: Ingmar Bergman's Cinema

BEST REISSUE: The Silence of the Lambs
BEST UPGRADE: The Virgin Spring

BEST COVER: The Magnificent Ambersons
WORST COVER: Graduation
BEST PACKAGING: El Sur

BEST DISCOVERY: The Color of Pomegranates
MOST UNNECESSARY RELEASE: Female Trouble
MOST FLAWED RELEASE: sex, lies, and videotape (Chosen for the packaging alone. Everything else was great. Including the booklet)

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: 2018 Criterion Forum Awards

#102 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:17 am

DRW.mov wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:03 am
That movie was horrendous enough at 2 1/2 hours, with the amount of human rights violations and worsening climate this year, the world did not also need an extended cut of this dreck inflicted upon it.

And just to make my point, it’s no longer tied.
Fair enough; curious whether it was dislike for the film itself or something flawed about the release.

Skrmng Skll Th Thd

#103 Post by Skrmng Skll Th Thd » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:51 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
DarkImbecile wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:55 am
DRW.mov wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:37 am
MOST UNNECESSARY RELEASE:
Tree of Life
What’s your reasoning is behind this one, if you don’t mind me asking?
That movie was horrendous enough at 2 1/2 hours, with the amount of human rights violations and worsening climate this year, the world did not also need an extended cut of this dreck inflicted upon it.
DarkImbecile wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:17 am
DRW.mov wrote:
Fair enough; curious whether it was dislike for the film itself or something flawed about the release.
"Fair enough"? How about not fair at all, as he gives no example or reasoning whatsoever for disliking the film or why the set might be flawed. I don't understand what Tree of Life has to do one way or another with "human rights violations and worsening climate." It's possibly Malick's least political film; there are elements of politics - or, more broadly, "social concern" - in Days of Heaven, Thin Red Line, The New World, To The Wonder, Knight of Cups, the longer cut of Voyage of Time, but such issues are almost entirely absent from TOL, and any representation of them (perhaps the awareness of blacks, the poor, criminals and other classes of people) are presented through the eyes of the children as a sort of awakening or loss of innocence. But hopefully those kids don't grow up into the kind of turds who inject strident, unnecessary and unevidenced politics into everything they see or hear or read.

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#104 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:05 pm

She's just saying that it sucks in a comparable amount to those worldly catastrophes, not that it has any political relation to them or to anything
Last edited by Never Cursed on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkImbecile

#105 Post by DarkImbecile » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:11 pm

Skrmng Skll Th Thd wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:51 pm
But hopefully those kids don't grow up into the kind of turds who inject strident, unnecessary and unevidenced politics into everything they see or hear or read.
So true; we certainly don’t need any more of those kind of people.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#106 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:28 pm

"Fair enough"?
What an awards season this has been. First Kevin Hart, now Richard Cranium campaigning in the voting thread. Pearls on permanent clutch status

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#107 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:44 pm

I understand really disliking a movie, but comparing it to climate warning and human rights violations ?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#108 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Hyperbole, on the Internet?!

DRW.mov

#109 Post by DRW.mov » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
DarkImbecile wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:55 am
What’s your reasoning is behind this one, if you don’t mind me asking?
DarkImbecile wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:17 am
DRW.mov wrote:
"Fair enough"? How about not fair at all, as he gives no example or reasoning whatsoever for disliking the film or why the set might be flawed. I don't understand what Tree of Life has to do one way or another with "human rights violations and worsening climate." It's possibly Malick's least political film; there are elements of politics - or, more broadly, "social concern" - in Days of Heaven, Thin Red Line, The New World, To The Wonder, Knight of Cups, the longer cut of Voyage of Time, but such issues are almost entirely absent from TOL, and any representation of them (perhaps the awareness of blacks, the poor, criminals and other classes of people) are presented through the eyes of the children as a sort of awakening or loss of innocence. But hopefully those kids don't grow up into the kind of turds who inject strident, unnecessary and unevidenced politics into everything they see or hear or read.

Taking one last dip into this sudden dumpster fire to point out to problem of assuming gender.

I have a profile image for a reason ;)

FrauBlucher

#110 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:53 pm

My favorite part of the recent posts was Malicklite was up next with his list after DRW.mov and you know what he picked as his best. Nice going.

Skrmng Skll Th Thd

#111 Post by Skrmng Skll Th Thd » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:27 am

DRW.mov wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Taking one last dip into this sudden dumpster fire to point out to problem of assuming gender.

Who gives a fuck what sex you are? That wasn't the point of my post and you damn well know it. Pedantry as a way of eliding the issue is essentially trolling.

Still waiting to hear what Tree of Life has to do with the end of the world, or why it was a flawed release... or maybe you're too busy studying Princess Bride and its secrets about the coming Armageddon?

DarkImbecile

#112 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:35 am

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:27 am

Who gives a fuck what sex you are? That wasn't the point of my post and you damn well know it. Pedantry as a way of eliding the issue is essentially trolling.

Still waiting to hear what Tree of Life has to do with the end of the world, or why it was a flawed release... or maybe you're too busy studying Princess Bride and its secrets about the coming Armageddon?
Jesus, lady, you’re starting to make me want to make hyperbolic comparisons to disasters and human rights abuses.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#113 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:44 am

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:27 am
DRW.mov wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 pm

I will 100% take ownership of this trainwreck, as I'm the only mod that thought this poster would one day contribute more than bilge. Well, at least we've freed up some time for Skrmng Skll Th Thd to watch Tree of Life more frequently

DRW.mov

#114 Post by DRW.mov » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:24 am

Well. I’m sorry that gender, kindness, and disliking Terence Malick are this provocative. Tbh I thought the most controversial thing in my list was putting Byrne above Welles. I sincerely hope this extended bit of chaos hasn’t scared anyone off from adding their lists to this thread. Though, I must admit, I was at least moderately entertained.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#115 Post by swo17 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:02 am

Minkin

#116 Post by Minkin » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 am

tenia wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:57 am
(deleted post)
Ten forum posters went on to whine,
One had a hissy fit and then there were nine.

:P
Last edited by Minkin on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#117 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:32 am

Okay, let me make this as clear as possible: I will salt the earth of any member talking shit about someone else's votes, and/or continuing this particular unnecessary pile-on of DRW

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#118 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:41 am

If civil war should erupt as a result of this threat enrol me please in the Malick Bushwhackers. Pictures of me in Zouave confederate uniform are available on request.

Lowry_Sam

#119 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:58 pm

IMHO, 2018 was a much better year than 2017, if only for the fact that Criterion finally released many titles that people had been pining for for over a decade. IBC is without a doubt their best box yet (in spite of neglecting a few titles), but I decided to leave it out of my best releases as it’s in a category all it’s own.

BEST RELEASE
1. Night of the Living Dead
2. Dietrich & von Sternberg in Hollywood
3. The Magnificent Ambersons
4. Female Trouble
5. True Stories

BEST BOXED SET
Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema

BEST ECLIPSE SET
Ingrid Bergman’s Swedish Years

BEST MODERN FILM
I, Daniel Blake

BEST "BONUS" FILM
Steamroller And Violin

BEST BOOKLET
Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema

BEST REISSUE
Andrei Rublev

BEST UPGRADE
Elevator To The Gallows

BEST COVER
Andrei Rublev

WORST COVER
My Man Godfrey

BEST PACKAGING
True Stories

BEST DISCOVERY
The Ballad Of Gregorio Cortez

MOST UNNECESSARY RELEASE
The Tree Of Life

BEST ARROW US
Deep Red

BEST NON-CRITERION, NON-ARROW AMERICAN RELEASE
Melies’ Fairy Tales In Color [Flicker Alley]

DarkImbecile

#120 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:02 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:58 pm
MOST UNNECESSARY RELEASE
The Tree Of Life
If you don't mind me asking... you know, never mind.

DRW.mov

#121 Post by DRW.mov » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:26 pm

The resistance grows. ✊️

Lowry_Sam

#122 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:35 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:02 pm
Lowry_Sam wrote:
MOST UNNECESSARY RELEASE
The Tree Of Life
If you don't mind me asking... you know, never mind.
I won’t go on about how tedious I found Tree Of Life here, but while my New Year’s clue comment on the endless speculation about the significance of the tree in the pic was in jest (a Super Deluxe edition), I do feel the movie is one of the more likely titles Criterion would upgrade to UHD when it starts to do so.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#123 Post by tenia » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:10 pm

I actually wonder if it sold well or not. I could suppose there are movies within the collection with far less commercial appeal, but I'm not sure if there aren't better (and more representative of the collection) contenders. Technically wise, however, it probably would be a very good choice indeed.

MongooseCmr

#124 Post by MongooseCmr » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:03 pm

I think it’s a pretty big seller. Last I saw my library system had 5 copies (all DVD, alas) in the first weeks it came out, and rarely more than one copy of any other titles.

Morbii

#125 Post by Morbii » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
IBC is without a doubt their best box yet (in spite of neglecting a few titles), but I decided to leave it out of my best releases as it’s in a category all it’s own.
Isn’t that like saying its reward for being so good is that it loses your vote?

On a similar note, I wonder why there’s not a BEST FILM category.