Not Forthcoming: Ferris Bueller's Day Off

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
dwk

Not Forthcoming: Ferris Bueller's Day Off

#1 Post by dwk » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Since this was mentioned, but not sourced, in The Breakfast Club thread, from an article in the Tulsa World about John Kapelos
And yet, the actor with nearly 200 credits and a role in December’s Oscar contender “The Shape of Water” may still be seen by audiences as a part of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.”

“I was contacted by the Criterion Collection” and they had the scene among footage supplied by Hughes’ family for bonus features for a 2018 DVD release, he said.

Ribs

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2 Post by Ribs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:30 pm

It’s probably referring to the release for the Breakfast Club, which he’s also in.

Self

#3 Post by Self » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 pm

I thought it was referring to the deleted scene he filmed for Ferris Bueller's Day Off

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#4 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Ribs wrote:It’s probably referring to the release for the Breakfast Club, which he’s also in.
Did you read it? It's directly referring to Ferris Bueller.

Ribs

#5 Post by Ribs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:55 pm

I read the quote, but didn’t entirely understand why it had to relate specifically to the film. Sorry!

Feego

#6 Post by Feego » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:18 pm

And yet, the actor with nearly 200 credits and a role in December’s Oscar contender “The Shape of Water” may still be seen by audiences as a part of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.”

“I was contacted by the Criterion Collection” and they had the scene among footage supplied by Hughes’ family for bonus features for a 2018 DVD release, he said.
Yeah, I would say that quote is clearly hinting at a Ferris Bueller release. It's a Paramount film, while Breakfast Club is with Universal. I seriously doubt we would see any deleted scenes from one film on a disc for the other since they would be licensed from different studios. Hopefully Hughes' old DVD commentary track will be included again, as it has been mysteriously left off of every subsequent DVD and Blu-ray release.

DeprongMori

#7 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:25 pm

I read the linked “Tulsa World” article and it seemed incredibly clear to me that it is referring to a deleted “Carl the Janitor” scene in The Breakfast Club. The ref to Ferris in the excerpted sentence makes little sense.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#8 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm sorry, but how can anyone get confused by this high school paper style writing? The writer presents two paragraphs pertaining directly to Ferris Bueller, and then after that thought, switches back to The Breakfast Club after that brief mention.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:32 pm

The man does have his stories — even about movies in which he did not appear, but in which he did act, like “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.”

He was to play a Russian cab driver — yes, Russian — who drives the characters played by Matthew Broderick, Mia Sara and Alan Ruck around Chicago.

The film shows them inside the cab but no driver. Such is the life of a character actor.

“It was to be a substantial part, with them asking me to take them places and me not understanding, like a ‘Who’s on first?’ kind of thing,” Kapelos said, “but it didn’t work out. It was a subservient role to the plot, and I learned fast that those can get cut out.”

I don't see any way to read this other than that Ferris Bueller is being prepped by Criterion for a 2018 release.

Ribs

Re: Forthcoming: Ferris Bueller's Day Off

#10 Post by Ribs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Well, other than that the quote we're given is missing the actual part from the actor himself directly addressing Ferris Bueller. It is possible it might not be and the journalist was just confused, but that quote selection is rather poor in the sense that it's interesting part is the part not in quotes!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#11 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:43 pm

I know it's far from a forum favorite, but I am excited about this. Especially if the Hughes commentary from the DVD is carried over. It's one of the great teenage films in my opinion, and one that still holds up despite being on the wrong side of 30 years old (aren't we all... :cry:)

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#12 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:46 pm

I think I shared on another thread the kind of fanatical devotion this film has. In a screening of nearly 4,000 people that I helped assemble, you'd hear people quoting lines, laughing like crazy until it culminated with the audience dancing to the "Twist and Shout" sequence and breaking out into mad applause at the end. This was a favorite of mine as a kid and a film I have very fond memories of, especially with how much my dad rented it. It holds up better than most teen films today and has a genuine sincerity Hollywood has been struggling to grasp since. This is seriously a first day purchase for myself.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#13 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Also, from a cultural perspective, we've really veered away from the mischievous popular kid being viewed so derisively since it is absolutely the nerd archetype that's actively destroying our culture moreso than any, and the jocks leading the charge for social change! Funny how that panned out. Maybe Cameron really did need to just loosen up a bit, or else he could have become the Speaker of the House.

jazzo

#14 Post by jazzo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 pm

I'd love it if they could somehow include the hypnotic trailer for "She's Having a Baby" that preceded Ferris on the 1980's VHS release. It was simply a montage of scenes with no dialogue at all, beautifully edited to full crescendo of Penguin Cafe Orchestra's song, "Music for a Found Harmonium". I easily watched that as many times as the feature following it.

hearthesilence

#15 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:50 pm

It's been a very long time since I've seen this, but even as a kid, Ferris struck me as pretty douchey, enough that it was actually enjoyable to watch Jeanie savoring what was happening to Ferris in their last scene together (within the film that is).

Roger Ryan

#16 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:30 pm

I was, perhaps, too old at 22 during the initial release to be within the film's demographic (although I'm a year-and-a-half younger than star Matthew Broderick!), but I thought Bueller was far more solid than The Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles in delivering the laughs and providing a little dramatic angst over being a teen. Still, I agree with "hearthesilence" that Bueller was douchey enough that I felt he needed to receive some kind of comeuppance at the end. For me, the day off represents the high point in this guy's life; it's all downhill from there.

hearthesilence

#17 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:I thought Bueller was far more solid than The Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles in delivering the laughs...
I would probably agree with this. The oddball, occasionally non sequitur jokes...
SpoilerShow
like "hey batter, batter, batter, suh-wing, batter" or the vomiting keyboard
...remain the most memorable parts for me.

hearthesilence

#19 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:18 pm

calculus entrophy

#20 Post by calculus entrophy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Ferris Bueller no longer just said, nerds are cool, too....it said nerds are cooler.

You had to go through Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science and then Pretty in Pink to get there, but the nerd had arrived, had its day, and there was nowhere left to go.

John Shade

#21 Post by John Shade » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:14 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:I know it's far from a forum favorite, but I am excited about this. Especially if the Hughes commentary from the DVD is carried over. It's one of the great teenage films in my opinion, and one that still holds up despite being on the wrong side of 30 years old (aren't we all... :cry:)
Hmm, surprising. This is my favorite Hughes film and remains a favorite from that time period for me, maybe or maybe not for nostalgic reasons. Will gladly rewatch this over Breakfast Club.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Ferris was the most popular kid in school....

flyonthewall2983

#23 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:34 pm

This is great news on at least three fronts I can think of. This completely has potential to be Criterion's next top-seller, and raise the profile of the company a little bit (along with the coming re-release of Silence of the Lambs). This is also a good sign we might be getting more Hughes after this (praying for Planes, Trains & Automobiles). And the irony of this coming out so soon after Election is perfect.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#24 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 am

hearthesilence wrote:The other Dean ain't impressed.
That dude is a total shit bag. Yello made excellent and forward thinking electronic music that hip musicians today try to emulate. Their first album on The Resident’s Ralph Records is a real blast.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#25 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:26 am

domino harvey wrote:Ferris was the most popular kid in school....
Did I miss the post making the case for the contrary?

EDIT: Oh. There it is.