Shelf Help

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
nick
grace thought I was a failure

Re: Shelf Help

#76 Post by nick » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:01 pm

A couple weeks ago a poster on Reddit took a photo of the Criterion booth at a sales expo that had the Bergman set on display.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#77 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks! Interesting that it's much smaller than the Murnau and Ford Fox boxes-- thank God! It looks like it will actually fit on my shelf

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#78 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Also Voss water bottles are like drinking out of a flower vase

headacheboy

#79 Post by headacheboy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:09 pm

It looks to be about as big as Arrow's Herschell Gordon Lewis Feast box.

Malickite

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#80 Post by Malickite » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:29 pm

I don't know where I should post this exactly, so apologies if I guessed wrong. So, I remember a while back, someone posted a picture taken at Criterion's offices where we saw a shelf of non-Criterion editions and people were trying to find out what they were. It was believed, and probably rightly, that Criterion used them to research/source special feature content from past editions for their own future releases.

Well this video was posted on Youtube, and near the end of the video, there are a lot of releases seen. Thought I should share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_kydJ3wsKU

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#81 Post by swo17 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 pm

This doesn't help but I see Arrow's Eight Hours Don't Make a Day at 2:10

dwk

#82 Post by dwk » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:59 pm

mr.cheerful

#83 Post by mr.cheerful » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:31 am

I see the Jazz Singer next to his face.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#84 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:33 am

Oh, and Fassbinder's Martha!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#85 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:34 am

French Rohmer box directly behind her head, Tati box (obv, moot since already released), MOC WCF Vol 1 to her right. Saura box to her left

...many, many MOC DVDs and Blu-rays in all pix

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#86 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:36 am

All the Warner Film Noir boxes on the bottom shelf on the dude's right, plus the Comedy Classics box (2 already in the CC: To Be or Not to Be + Philadelphia Story)

EDIT Cahiers' Garrel set, MOC's Michael, both Arrow Fassbinder DVD sets, the Ophuls UK DVDs (already out for most via CC), all the MK2/WB Chaplins on far shelf to left of gal in pic one

DRW.mov

#87 Post by DRW.mov » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 am

That older Arrow release in the first picture looks like Richard Elfman’s Forbidden Zone.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#88 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:01 am

Woodfall to her far left!

Boosmahn

#89 Post by Boosmahn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:51 am

I spot two Second Run Blu-rays (olive/yellow and turquoise) on the lower left shelf in the first picture. The latter could be Electra, My Love... not sure about the former. There's also a SR DVD, which appears to be gray. (Tropical Malady? Please?)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#90 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:57 am

3rd pic : The blue and beige sets next to the Potemkine Rohmer set are also 2 French Rohmer sets. The orange-y set on the left of the Tati set is the BFI Jan Svankmajer: The Complete Short Films DVD set. One shelf below it, slightly on the left is a black set with a red title and a small white logo on top, that's the Cinema Cinema French DVD set (which compiles many episodes from the TV documentary show).
1st pic: 4 releases on the right of the 8 hours don't make a day Arrow set are French Fassbinder releases : Despair, World on a Wire and twice I only want you to love me. World on a Wire is again below the Arrow set, a bit on the left (but on BD this time).

Better caps :
Image Image Image Image

colinr0380

#91 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:17 am

In the first picture on the shelf directly underneath Eight Hours Don't Make A Day are the distinctive brown spines of the BFI DVD releases of Peter Greenaway's The Draughtsman's Contract and A Zed and Two Noughts. I think that means that The Early Films of Peter Greenaway is a couple of spines to the left of it, though it looks to be only one of the two volumes (maybe the second with The Falls on it?), and presumably some of the other French-looking DVDs are for other Greenaways.

Also to the left of the Fassbinder I think the red spined Artifiical Eye set is the Alain Resnais one and the wider one just left of that with the 18 BBFC logo on it is likely the big Haneke set that AE released.

Two shelves down from that the box with the gold top edge and the figure in the circle is Studio Canal's Early Hitchcock DVD set (which gathered together The Ring, Champagne, The Farmer's Wife, The Manxman, Blackmail, Murder!, The Skin Game, Rich and Strange and Number Seventeen)

(I just hope that the people in front of the camera in the video are not upset by us trying to push them aside to get a better look at the shelves! :) )

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#92 Post by swo17 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:55 am

I also see Gance's J'accuse and the BFI's Jeff Keen set

mr.cheerful

#93 Post by mr.cheerful » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:35 pm

At 2:22 there’s a green DVD visible which is Thomas Vinterberg’s Dear Wendy.

gcgiles1dollarbin

#94 Post by gcgiles1dollarbin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:02 pm

Does anyone know exactly what brand/make/whatever those shelves in the pictures are, by chance?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#95 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:33 pm

A few others from the first pic :
- Left of the Hitchcock set are 2 Elephant releases of Hitch early movies (The Lodger and probably Downhill)
- Left of all the Fassbinder stuff, there is a white set, it's the French Pierre Etaix set.
- Below it are some Carlotta Richard Fleischer releases : the yellow one is Violent Saturday, on the right it's The Boston Strangler (black spine, yellow title). Just left of it, there is a Eureka title with a grey spine and a yellow title, that's Paranoiac. The Arrow older release (with the old white slipcover) a bit on their right is City of the Living Dead.

On the other angle :
- Top shelf, a bit on the left of the Rohmer blue set is an orange SNC DVD release from I mostri.
- On the second (from the top) shelf, next to the Eureka WCP set is the French Carlotta one. On the very left of this shelf is the French DVD from The Tin Drum, then something I don't know, then 2 Barbet Schroeder French DVDs (I think the 1st one is the Schroeder set, then Maitresse individual release). On the far right of this shelf is Carlotta 1st DVD set of 4 Douglas Sirk movies (Imitation of Life + Magnificient Obsession + A Time to Love A Time to Die + All That Heaven Allows).
- Below the Svankmajer set, the white and red/orange set is the old Gaumont Jean Vigo DVD set. There also is nearby a Tourneur set.
- Very far right, on the floor, the 3 massive Polish masterpieces sets.

The 2 Second Run releases next to the Woodfall set seems to be Electra my Love and The Fabulous Baron Munchausen (blue and green spines).

Few additionnal caps :
Image Image Image Image

Gregory

#96 Post by Gregory » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:51 pm

I see the Bo Widerberg Boxen Swedish set in the lower left of the waving-arms pics.

I can also see the Stewart Granger Collection that includes The Lamp Still Burns, Love Story, Fanny by Gaslight, Madonna of the Seven Moons, Waterloo Road, Caesar and Cleopatra, Caravan, The Magic Bow, Captain Boycott, Blanche Fury, Woman Hater, Adam and Evelyne (in the pics showing the whole row of Eclipse sets, on the right side, middle shelf).

Boosmahn

#97 Post by Boosmahn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:30 pm

tenia wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:33 pm
The 2 Second Run releases next to the Woodfall set seems to be Electra my Love and The Fabulous Baron Munchausen (blue and green spines).
Thanks, but what about the DVD? I've narrowed it down to either Tropical Malady or Interrogation. Malady seems likely due to the director already having a film in the collection.

criterionsnob

#98 Post by criterionsnob » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Shoeshine [MOC DVD]
The František Vlácil Collection [Second Run DVD]
The Beatles: Help!

criterionsnob

#99 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Another shelf reveal from the Janus Twitter feed. I like seeing the Mike Leigh at the BBC on their shelf. Hopefully we get some of those from Criterion some day.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#100 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Bottom screen right:

Joan Crawford WB box vol 1 with Mildred Pierce missing
??? four title WB box, looks sealed
Harold Lloyd New Line box
2 TCM 4-film collections, no way to see which ones
??? 4 DVDs
Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection WB box, I think
??? WB box set with DVD missing