Kino Lorber Studio Classics: Bodies, Rest & Motion

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
DRW.mov

Kino Lorber Studio Classics: Bodies, Rest & Motion

#1 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:11 pm

Director Michael Steinberg confirmed on Instagram this morning that his movie "BODIES REST AND MOTION" will be returning to the Criterion Collection next year in a 4K restoration for it's 25th Anniversary.

https://instagram.com/p/BV-JpB4lBmz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CSM126

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2 Post by CSM126 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:07 pm

DRW.mov wrote:Director Michael Steinberg confirmed on Instagram this morning that his movie "BODIES REST AND MOTION" will be returning to the Criterion Collection next year in a 4K restoration for it's 25th Anniversary.

https://instagram.com/p/BV-JpB4lBmz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Somewhere Alison Anders breathes a sigh of relief. Border Radio is no longer the worst title in the collection on DVD or Blu.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:10 pm

First of all, I thought we all agreed Norman Mailer stole that crown years ago. Secondly, Bodies, Rest, and Motion is an okay film

mteller

#4 Post by mteller » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm sure Allison Anders cries herself to sleep every night because some goons on an internet forum don't like her movie.

CSM126

#5 Post by CSM126 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 pm

domino harvey wrote:First of all, I thought we all agreed Norman Mailer stole that crown years ago. Secondly, Bodies, Rest, and Motion is an okay film
If you like watching Eric Stoltz explain Kilz primer or Phoebe Cates do, um, nothing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Oh, I would never argue it is a film with much in the way of dramatic stakes in play. But it's not without its lowkey charms

CSM126

#7 Post by CSM126 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Diff'rent strokes and all I suppose. I was practically screaming at the screen watching that film because the dialogue was so awful and pretentious and nothing was happening… for me, it typifies the low point of 90s indie cinema by embodying every terrible cliche.

Big Ben

#8 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:55 pm

I had to laugh at that plot description for Bodies. As a Montanan I can tell you you don't go to Butte, Montana for anything. ANYTHING.

Gregory

#9 Post by Gregory » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:31 pm

You say that as if Evel Knievel Days 2017 weren't just around the corner — "the only extreme sports festival of its kind in the entire World"!
Only doubt in my mind is whether I can get my diamond-studded whiskey cane past TSA on the way there.

Big Ben

#10 Post by Big Ben » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:55 pm

You'd all certainly enjoy the Rocky Mountain Oyster Festival as well. (The Oysters are actually Bull Testicles and Montana holds an annual Testicle Festival.)

Anyone centering any plot point around Butte either has no idea what Butte is like or is a troll. Seriously you don't do this.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#11 Post by cdnchris » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:38 pm

When I moved to Seattle I stopped at a McDonald's in Butte. I considered spending the night but decided to just keep going to Spokane.

That's my story.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:39 pm

To be fair, all I remember the characters doing is smoking pot and painting the walls, so I can't say the film glamorizes the locale

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

Re: Forthcoming: Bodies Rest and Motion

#13 Post by Omensetter » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:59 pm

But it was photographed so beautifully in Wenders's Don't Come Knocking! It even earned a write-up in the Cool Montana Stories section of montanakids.com.

Wenders himself called it Beaut-iful.

movielocke

#14 Post by movielocke » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:09 pm

CSM126 wrote:
DRW.mov wrote:Director Michael Steinberg confirmed on Instagram this morning that his movie "BODIES REST AND MOTION" will be returning to the Criterion Collection next year in a 4K restoration for it's 25th Anniversary.

Somewhere Alison Anders breathes a sigh of relief. Border Radio is no longer the worst title in the collection on DVD or Blu.
this reminds me that border radio is in my FilmStruck queue to finally find out if it is justifiably loathed for its place in the collection or like hopscotch has been completely unjustifiably attacked for years.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:31 pm

People have been calling our bluff for years and it's never ever paid off against the house

LightBulbFilm

#16 Post by LightBulbFilm » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:48 am

domino harvey wrote:First of all, I thought we all agreed Norman Mailer stole that crown years ago. Secondly, Bodies, Rest, and Motion is an okay film
There is such hatred for this film. I was fascinated by it twelve years ago when I first saw it, and it still hit all the same chords recently when I rewatched it. It's small and cozy, and I vibe with it a lot.

Ribs

#17 Post by Ribs » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:04 am

Kino is releasing in October.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics: Bodies, Rest & Motion

#18 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:01 pm

Weird! Can’t think of anything in the film that would have rankled Woke Criterion, wonder what happened

DRW.mov

#19 Post by DRW.mov » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:13 pm

Have to assume it was a licensing issue. It was a New Line title that Criterion more than likely licensed from Warners, but KL doesn’t have a Warner contract so it had to have changed hands at some point while they were working on it and its possible Criterion didn’t feel like paying for it again or KL was simply able to buy it out from under them.

DRW.mov

#20 Post by DRW.mov » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:17 pm

About a year after making the post, the director mentioned in the comments that Kino would be doing a blu ray and theatrical release. And of course two years later they finally announce a blu. Clearly this hasn’t been a priority for either company.