FilmStruck

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
connor

Re: FilmStruck

#1426 Post by connor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:57 pm

The selection was great but the simple fact is the streaming was just of such awful quality--compared to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO Go, etc--I never watched it.

HinkyDinkyTruesmith

#1427 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Are you referring to the streaming quality, or the actual interface?

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#1428 Post by ando » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:01 pm

connor wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:57 pm
The selection was great but the simple fact is the streaming was just of such awful quality--compared to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO Go, etc--I never watched it.
Hear, hear. And the lack of a download feature (for later viewing) ultimately made me cancel my subscription.

CJG

#1429 Post by CJG » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:08 pm

I had problems with the streaming quality as well. In my experience, Filmstruck's catalog was unwatchable on Wifi, and even when my computer was connected to my router with an Ethernet cable I would occasionally have issues.

connor

#1430 Post by connor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:15 pm

HinkyDinkyTruesmith wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:58 pm
The streaming quality. It was like sub-DVD level.

jwd5275

#1431 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:46 pm

ando wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:01 pm
Hear, hear. And the lack of a download feature (for later viewing) ultimately made me cancel my subscription.
I received a survey from Filmstruck about offering downloads of the films, so it was in the works...

MongooseCmr

#1432 Post by MongooseCmr » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 pm

connor wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:15 pm
HinkyDinkyTruesmith wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:58 pm
The streaming quality. It was like sub-DVD level.
I had a better experience with it than other sites, but at least the films were from HD sources. I’ve seen too many older films (20+ years) in equally old transfers float around Netflix/Hulu/HBO over the years. In the other direction, STARZ has a good selection of older films from good sources but often unwatchably pixelated.

bakofalltrades

#1433 Post by bakofalltrades » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Filmstruck streaming quality is good for me. No noticeable pixels, no interruptions.

Conversely, I got *very* pixelated streams from Netflix, as well as occasional pauses, regardless of what I was watching or which device I was watching it on. I canceled my subscription after a month or two. (In fact, it’s the only streaming service I’ve abandoned. The others have all worked fine.)

Sooo, is this an ISP thing?

CJG

#1434 Post by CJG » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Webpass is my ISP, and I've have never had any problems when streaming stuff from Netflix or Amazon Prime, so beats me...

Big Ben

#1435 Post by Big Ben » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:54 pm

I have Spectrum here in Montana and it's a notoriously bad service in a State with such poor internet it took legislative action to improve it. I certainly had different quality streams but the quality was always the result of the print/materials. I never once had any of the previously described issues with blocky images and so forth. Netflix for me is the exact same way.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#1436 Post by Shrew » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:11 pm

Filmstruck streaming quality varied wildly for me, though I think it could often be tied to where the master came from. The Criterion and main WB films tended to be good, while other sources could be a crapshoot given to pixelation. For example Sylvia Scarlett was was a soft master and given to frequent pixelation but Morning Glory looked pretty good; the William Wellman films released on DVD (i.e. Heroes for Sale, Midnight Mary, A Star Is Born) were pretty good, but some rarer films (Safe in Hell) were really soft though free of pixels.

But considering the crapshoot of transfers you find on Amazon Prime the lack of any classic films on Netflix or Hulu, Filmstruck was a definite advance.

unclehulot

#1437 Post by unclehulot » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Those of you complaining about the streaming quality should blame their ISP, not Filmstruck, with the exception of the Roku streaming quality, which for whatever reason, was very problematic. Several friends (and myself) came to the conclusion that multiple models of Roku devices only delivered SD quality for Filmstruck. Don’t know why. Being a streaming device junkie, I can confirm that Apple TV, Fire TV (stick) and Chromecast were never substandard (and I compared the same film in several cases with Amazon Prime video just for kicks), and if they were a quick speed test revealed it was a blip in my internet speed that was the culprit. I’d be curious if those complaining above were Roku users.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kirkinson

#1438 Post by Kirkinson » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:19 pm

I also never had any issues with streaming quality on Filmstruck (aside from issues stemming from the source material) and have always been really curious about others who said it was so terrible. In my apartment I watch everything on my computer monitor (I have a tiny studio and don't really have room for anything else) and at least when using Chrome, Filmstruck has always looked very comparable to Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. In fact, of the three I've only ever really had consistent complaints with Netflix, where I frequently see macroblocking in scenes with lots of shadow.

At my girlfriend's apartment we've watched Filmstruck by hooking her laptop up to her Samsung TV via HDMI and that has also always looked great (again, depending on the source material of the transfer).

Yaanu

#1439 Post by Yaanu » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:22 pm

unclehulot wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm
Several friends (and myself) came to the conclusion that multiple models of Roku devices only delivered SD quality for Filmstruck. Don’t know why.
Looking up the Roku really quick, it appears that there are seven generations of the player released over the past ten years, with more recent models having better tech specs (resolution support, wireless/ethernet standards, RAM, etc.).
If you and your friends still have those test results at hand, make a note of the actual Roku models and see if it's those older ones that could only get SD quality.

fdm

#1440 Post by fdm » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 pm

My old Roku 3 gave me a perfect FilmStruck stream most of the time (though it helps to restart it each day before watching anything). The Roku 4K and Apple TV 4K just about always had some playback issue, but I'm pretty sure it's the FilmStruck software, as Prime works fine on them. Maybe if I had a 4K tv it would be a different story, but I don't.

Edit: And seeing the previous post, Roku 3 gives a pretty great HD picture. (I'm guessing I got it around 2010, though it mostly sat unused for several years until my "new" ISP gave me some usable bandwidth a few years back.)

MichaelStockCA

#1441 Post by MichaelStockCA » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:49 pm

My experience with FilmStruck film quality are also very positive. Of course you can't blame the service for poor source material or bad internet connections.
My only issue is the different design on different devices. For example, I can see the expiring date of a film only on the desktop interface, not on Apple TV of iPad. But I can live with that. Less annoying than Netflix starting automatically the next film/episode if you don't jump up and grab the remote immediately ....

Still on the FilmStruck marathon to see as many films as possible before Nov 29.

fdm

#1442 Post by fdm » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:58 pm

I was watching episode 4 or 5 of The Man in the High Castle on prime a couple weeks ago, and I thought I'd stopped it for the night, but a couple days later when I got back to the roku to watch another episode, prime was still happily streaming away something or other after playing who knows what in between non-stop.

(It bugs me when anything pops up during credits... which prime likes to do at every opportunity.)

movielocke

#1444 Post by movielocke » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:11 am

It’s not the best drafted letter but sincere. If all those filmmakers were pledging to produce intros and curate selections that might actually move the needle.

Big Ben

#1445 Post by Big Ben » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:14 am

Nolan, being so big at WB might actually do that. I'm hopeful his involvement might make them reconsider.

FrauBlucher

#1446 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:44 am

Not to be cynical but this will be a tough nut to crack. Where they need to take this is the board of directors of AT&T and hope they can find some allies there.

MongooseCmr

#1447 Post by MongooseCmr » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:15 am

If they truly are planning to incorporate the Warner back catalog into their new service (and I’m not certain they are) I can’t imagine they are interested in a paltry 1 million in revenue a month to keep Filmstruck alive another year. I have no idea what licensing costs are for the non-Warner/Janus films but that plus maintenance and supplement production costs has to be putting this in the red already. All these petitions seem futile

jedgeco

#1448 Post by jedgeco » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:05 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:44 am
Not to be cynical but this will be a tough nut to crack. Where they need to take this is the board of directors of AT&T and hope they can find some allies there.
And I think that the roadblock there is that the AT&t overlords are not steeped in film culture the way that Warner would be. The suits that come up in Hollywood legacy are probably more sentimental and more persuadable than the guys who've come up laying fiber optic cable.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1449 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:59 am

Whether this works or not, it is awesome

FrauBlucher

#1450 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:51 pm

jedgeco wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:44 am
And I think that the roadblock there is that the AT&t overlords are not steeped in film culture the way that Warner would be. The suits that come up in Hollywood legacy are probably more sentimental and more persuadable than the guys who've come up laying fiber optic cable.
But AT&T will have final say when it comes to ledgers.

As far as board members go they can be a diverse group that are not specific to or relegated to the industry that they are serving as a member of said board.