FilmStruck

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
dwk

FilmStruck

#1 Post by dwk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:16 am

Looks like it is time to cancel that Hulu subscription, TCM and Criterion to Offer Streaming Service, FilmStruck
FilmStruck also will be the exclusive streaming destination for Criterion Collection, which specializes in licensing classic and contemporary films. Criterion will operate a channel on the service to spotlight more than 1,000 films and other content such as commentary on films and filmmakers.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Turner Classic Movies

#2 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:30 am

TCM and Criterion teaming up for new streaming service FilmStruck. Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist are also on board for this new service.

Jeff

Re: Criterion on Hulu, iTunes, and Amazon

#3 Post by Jeff » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:33 am

There is a trailer and press release at filmstruck.com

1000 films from Criterion!? That is substantially more than what is on Hulu.

I'm hoping that the fact that this is a joint venture between Criterion and TCM means that eventually the Warner archive service might merge with it.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Criterion on Hulu, iTunes, and Amazon

#4 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:42 am

This looks great but I hope there's as much TCM in this as there is Criterion if that makes any sense

Ribs

Re: Streaming The Criterion Collection

#5 Post by Ribs » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:32 am

I'm expecting, like Fandor or Mubi, this will be severely crippled by the fact it doesn't get app integration with Smart TV and Devices other than Rokus. Hulu was a smart partner because every device that can have apps features Hulu - I doubt there will be a big push to get this even on the major devices, your Xboxes and your Playstations.

Anyway any time something like this is announced I'm a little disappointed they don't manage to get Zipporah on board as one of the partners - Fandor has Crazy Horse for some strange reason but otherwise we keep hearing from Wiseman and co that streaming will be coming soon and never hear any progress.

I also wouldn't expect too much out of it stretching to 1000+ titles - it's probably going to be mostly the stuff that's on iTunes and Amazon that's not available on Hulu.

This does seem like it's rather unfairly killing Fandor off because I honestly can't see it continuing after losing its Criterion contract and being superseded by what will almost definitely be a more interesting service. On the other hand this will probably be fairly expensive as all of the licensors will be supplementary channels - I can easily imagine a base fee of, like, $6, with another $4 for each licensor you want.

Trying to take it as good news but I'm very wary of this.

The fact it's a bona-fide, theoretically actually functional TCM streaming service is music to my ears, mind. For some strange reason my current cable set-up has the only channel that does not play correctly due to a strange judder be TCM, which is probably the single channel I most have on, so even if this supports just live-streaming in HD (which the website doesn't) it'd mean a lot to me.

nick
grace thought I was a failure

#6 Post by nick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:53 am

I'm hesitant about this too for a few reasons. As mentioned so many of these services fail to create apps across all the necessary devices (I'm an android and Chromecast user). Right off the bat if my devices aren't supported I will have to pass. On top of that it's just another service that cuts into my monthly allotment of funds. Hulu, while not always the best service, was easy to justify cost-wise as there was enough content to keep both my wife and I happy. I doubt she'll let me cancel Hulu in favor of this because Filmstruck will probably not have Rupaul's Drag Race or any of the number of shows she binges on. The one upside to this announcement is that it looks like the first time Criterion will be adding more supplements and available commentaries to streaming titles. I'll keep my fingers crossed that enough devices will be supported and the cost will be reasonable.

neal

#7 Post by neal » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:54 am

Now that I've turned of my ad blocker and managed to watch the "preview," I have to say that I was surprised to see a clip from Mona Lisa in the trailer.

McNulty

#8 Post by McNulty » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:56 am

So this will include Criterion's commentaries and supplements? If so, I can't see this venture not damaging Criterion's own physical media brand.

Ribs

#9 Post by Ribs » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:03 am

Hulu does include supplements already. It hasn't had any effect.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#10 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:41 am

Great, another service without any app support. I have a Smart TV, PS4, Xbox One, and smart Blu-ray player all in my living room and this likely won't be supported on any of them. Excellent.

Ribs

#11 Post by Ribs » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:47 am

My hope is that because Turner is involved they'll have the $ and influence to be able to get the app out there. It's more than Fandor has, anyway.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Streaming the Criterion Collection

#12 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:55 am

It seems like the order of accessibility/priority for what is surely limited programming groups for these smaller streaming services tends to go web -> mobile/tablet apps -> Roku -> game consoles -> Apple TV/Chromecast -> SmartTVs -> toasters/refrigerators/Tamagotchis, so hopefully this can get at least halfway along this ladder.

Werewolf by Night

#13 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:08 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:This looks great but I hope there's as much TCM in this as there is Criterion if that makes any sense
It makes total sense to me. If there isn't as much TCM classic Hollywood content as there is Criterion "arthouse" content, I'll probably pass (or only sign up for short binges like I do with Hulu now).

Trees

Re: Turner Classic Movies

#14 Post by Trees » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:33 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:TCM and Criterion teaming up for new streaming service FilmStruck. Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist are also on board for this new service.
Boom. \:D/

dwk

#15 Post by dwk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:36 am

reading the press rlease again and this raises a question
Among the hundreds of critically acclaimed and award-winning titles to be featured on FilmStruck are Seven Samurai, A Hard Day's Night, A Room With A View, Blood Simple, My Life As A Dog, Mad Max, Breaker Morant and The Player
Did MGM's rights to Mad Max expire or what? I know it mentions "movies from Hollywoods's major movie studios including Warner Bros.," but Mad Max being the only one mentioned in a string of Janus/Criteion titles is odd.

jedgeco

#16 Post by jedgeco » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:52 am

dwk wrote:reading the press rlease again and this raises a question
Among the hundreds of critically acclaimed and award-winning titles to be featured on FilmStruck are Seven Samurai, A Hard Day's Night, A Room With A View, Blood Simple, My Life As A Dog, Mad Max, Breaker Morant and The Player
Did MGM's rights to Mad Max expire or what? I know it mentions "movies from Hollywoods's major movie studios including Warner Bros.," but Mad Max being the only one mentioned in a string of Janus/Criteion titles is odd.
Mad Max is specifically referenced in the FilmStruck press release. Turner had rights to a lot of MGM back catalog films; I thought those ended up with WB, but perhaps there rump of random films that Turner still has rights to?

Also, I noted that it says the service "will include the Criterion Channel, a new premium service," so it sounds like the plan is to charge extra for Criterion content, where "Peter Becker [says], 'Working with TCM's programming team, we'll present a broad, constantly changing cross-section of Criterion titles.'"

Trees

#17 Post by Trees » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:57 am

If Filmstruck has success, I really wonder if this could help to fund more new restorations? Netflix and Amazon are throwing around cash like crazy right now on the new film production side. It would be so great to see some more cash being thrown toward restoration and presentation of classic films.

dwk

#18 Post by dwk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:59 am

Mad Max was an AIP title, and MGM released it on Blu-ray and licensed it to Shout/Scream Factory for their Blu-ray (and to WB to include with their various Mad Max box sets.) Like I said, odd placement if it is Janus title, Janus title, Janus title, Janus title, Janus title, MGM? (or any other company, really) title, Janus title, and Janus title.

Self

#19 Post by Self » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:22 pm

"FilmStruck will be launching this fall on desktop and mobile devices, and internet-connected television platforms."

Safe in assuming this means an app will be created from the start?

The Narrator Returns

#20 Post by The Narrator Returns » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:04 pm

dwk wrote:Mad Max was an AIP title, and MGM released it on Blu-ray and licensed it to Shout/Scream Factory for their Blu-ray (and to WB to include with their various Mad Max box sets.) Like I said, odd placement if it is Janus title, Janus title, Janus title, Janus title, Janus title, MGM? (or any other company, really) title, Janus title, and Janus title.
Is it too much to hope for that this means Criterion might be releasing the Mad Max films? I'd might think nothing of it if there were some other studio films surrounding it, but like you say, it's nothing but Janus and Criterion titles. Plus, there were those clips from The Road Warrior on the Llewyn Davis disc.

Tropical Kaiju

#21 Post by Tropical Kaiju » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Luke M wrote:So, no more Criterions on Hulu?
No more. So answered the FilmStruck twitter account. And the press release stressed exclusivity as well.

The closest thing we have to a start up date is "fall".

Here's hoping the make the service available outside of the U.S.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Terrible decision. Being on Hulu not only made it easy to stream on TV-devices, but it enabled lots of casual viewers to discover all manner of great films from the Collection. This is overall a far worse step as far as aiming at an audience outside of the already too niche film lovers community

jedgeco

#23 Post by jedgeco » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:26 pm

Criterion announced the Hulu deal in February 2011 and an "exclusive" extension in April 2014.

So assume that the extension was for either 2 or 3 years; if 2 years, the deal is probably going month-to-month now and could be discontinued any time. If 3 years, that would free Criterion up to move to Filmstruck in Spring 2017.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#24 Post by cdnchris » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:38 pm

domino harvey wrote:Terrible decision. Being on Hulu not only made it easy to stream on TV-devices, but it enabled lots of casual viewers to discover all manner of great films from the Collection. This is overall a far worse step as far as aiming at an audience outside of the already too niche film lovers community
There are a couple of people at work that actually discovered them through Hulu, not knowing who Criterion was but became intrigued by the films there. They've watched a number of titles already, too.

TraverseTown

#25 Post by TraverseTown » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:39 pm

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... filmstruck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
The Criterion offering on Hulu will still be available into the month of November, but after that, FilmStruck and the Criterion Channel will be our exclusive streaming home.

That seems to imply that FilmStruck will launch in late Fall around November, since I don't imagine Criterion on Hulu and Criterion on the new service to overlap for very long if at all.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/26/media/t ... ilmstruck/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some of Criterion's titles will be available through the basic service, but the rest of them will only be available on a "premium service" called the Criterion Channel. So in essence FilmStruck will include a second, more expensive streaming service within the first one.
Most disappointing thing I've read so far. Sounds like we should expect to be paying a noticeable amount more to have access to the full Criterion library (what we have on Hulu now at least) than what we're already paying for Hulu.