Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

Re: Criterion & Eclipse Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol. 7

#1451 Post by soundchaser » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:15 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:13 pm
I won't restate the obvious, but is everyone fine with The Circus? It's not awful, but I don't think it's very good either. Polyester and Local Hero are great though
It doesn't look all that much like circus posters of the period, even if that's what it's trying to emulate.

bearcuborg

#1452 Post by bearcuborg » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Looks like I’m in agreement with most here, Polyester and Local
Hero are great, Cluny isn’t-but I’m not a fan of The Circus cover either.

Seeing Vicki from Small Wonder made me fear that I’d have the theme song stuck in my head all day...

danieltiger

#1453 Post by danieltiger » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:11 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:13 pm
I won't restate the obvious, but is everyone fine with The Circus? It's not awful, but I don't think it's very good either. Polyester and Local Hero are great though
I love, love, love The Circus cover.

Boosmahn

#1454 Post by Boosmahn » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:49 pm

I love the color scheme of Local Hero, the phonebooth's red pops out so well. Polyester is good but not what I was expecting at all!

As for Cluny Blown, I don't hate it as much as some seem to, but it's certainly one of the year's worst. What is up with her arms?

CSM126

#1455 Post by CSM126 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:24 pm
Image Image Image Image Image Image
That Polyester cover is amazing. I was expecting/hoping for something similar to the laserdisc cover (gaudy leopard print fabric and obnoxious pink lettering), but what they came up with instead is simply fantastic.

Cluny Brown looks like a B-grade movie about a cyborg maid. Sheesh.

Lowry_Sam

Re: 995 Polyester

#1456 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 pm

No comments on the Polyester cover yet? I actually like it, but expect some will hate it.

CSM126

#1457 Post by CSM126 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:37 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 pm
No comments on the cover yet? I actually like it, but expect some will hate it.
There’s an entire thread for discussing cover art.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1458 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 pm
No comments on the Polyester cover yet? I actually like it, but expect some will hate it.
Anyone who hates that cover isn’t worth listening to about anything ever. From the art to the font, it’s a dead-on parody of countless paperback Romance novels of the 80s and 90s, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they hired someone who used to make real ones back in the day to paint it

Lowry_Sam

#1459 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:04 pm

It’s definitely the best of this month, with Local Hero 2nd, but I think some will want something in line with the original artwork or consistent with JW’s 2 previous releases. It’s too bad they didn’t have the two previous releases in different paperback styles.

Graphist

#1460 Post by Graphist » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:46 am

You know, I expected Polyester to be polyester and it is more like silk, and the finest kind you can get your hands on, honey!
ImageImageImage

About the Lubitsch film (that Lubitsch himself probably would’ve disowned after seeing the new art), I feel at this point even the original newsletter clue drawing with George Clooney’s huge bobbing head would’ve worked so much better as the cover art.
ImageImageImage

But I am more concerned about the jarring colors of The Circus. No! Why?! What did they do to my beloved Charlie?! In my head he always exists in the simpler, innocent dimensions of the bygone black and white world. Cut the circus, Criterion!
ImageImageImage

Feego

#1461 Post by Feego » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:12 am

At this point, Criterion really is just trolling us with their Chaplin and classic-movie-star caricature covers. But Polyester is gorgeous, and it calls to my mind not even a romance novel but a poster for a Ross Hunter-Douglas Sirk film, which is actually really appropriate. I hope this artist is recruited to do the inevitable Written on the Wind upgrade. About the only way it could possibly be improved is if Tab Hunter's shirt was being blown open.

Fiery Angel

#1462 Post by Fiery Angel » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:41 am

Sad that the only good cover this month is the Bellocchio.

HitchcockLang

#1463 Post by HitchcockLang » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:27 pm

Yeah, I'm not in love with The Circus cover despite the love it's getting here. The colors seem harsh and garish (I feel like prolonged exposure would give me a headache) and I don't think Chaplin's name really needs to be on it twice, but I'm not a design guy so maybe I'm just wrong.

Total agreement about the horrendous Cluny Brown cover though so my taste can't be that questionable.

mteller

#1464 Post by mteller » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:46 am

I would prefer it said John Waters's Polyester instead of John Waters' Polyester but I know style guides conflict on this issue.

dda1996a

#1465 Post by dda1996a » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:06 pm

What? I may not be a born English speaker, but you never write s's.

zedz

#1467 Post by zedz » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:24 pm

In terms of graphic design, they should go with the one that looks less freakish- single s.

Glowingwabbit

#1468 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:26 pm

I know it's allowed, but it looks terrible from an aesthetic point of view imo. I'm also biased as both my first and last name end in "s" and I shutter anytime I see someone doing that.

FlickeringWindow

#1469 Post by FlickeringWindow » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 pm

The original poster says "John Waters' Polyester"

mteller

#1470 Post by mteller » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:06 pm

...and I just noticed they did the same thing on Female Trouble. Eh, not a hill I need to die on.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#1471 Post by Brian C » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:I know it's allowed, but it looks terrible from an aesthetic point of view imo. I'm also biased as both my first and last name end in "s" and I shutter anytime I see someone doing that.
Interesting. I would think that the first-name possessive would always be apostrophe-s: Chris’s, Gus’s, Charles’s, Jesus’s, etc. That’s certainly what I would say out loud.

But last names are different. I wouldn’t say “John Waters’s Polyester” so I guess I’m not sure why people would write it that way (even though honestly I usually do myself).

Boosmahn

#1472 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Brian C wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:17 pm
Interesting. I would think that the first-name possessive would always be apostrophe-s: Chris’s, Gus’s, Charles’s, Jesus’s, etc. That’s certainly what I would say out loud.
I think Biblical figures are the exception. (Jesus' is just as correct as Charles's.)

zedz

#1473 Post by zedz » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:01 am

Brian C wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:17 pm
Glowingwabbit wrote:I know it's allowed, but it looks terrible from an aesthetic point of view imo. I'm also biased as both my first and last name end in "s" and I shutter anytime I see someone doing that.

But last names are different. I wouldn’t say “John Waters’s Polyester” so I guess I’m not sure why people would write it that way (even though honestly I usually do myself).
I don't think that's a first name / last name distinction, I think it's just down to the linguistic accident that "water" is a regular noun, so that "Waters" sounds like a regular possessive. Whereas we don't recognize krih, guh or charl as words or names, water makes sense and Waters' sounds like a possessive even without pronouncing the second s. (cf. "Herbert Ross' Polyester")

However, it's kind of wrong. I always avoid the double 's' with possessives in writing, because it looks inelegant, but I generally pronounce it as a double 's', because you need to do that for clarity from the non-possessive form, which would otherwise sound identical. So technically, and for clarity, you should also be pronouncing two esses in Waters' in this context, so everybody knows that you're talking about a movie he made and not fabric printed with his face all over it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1474 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 am

I don't know where I stand on this grammatical issue and it's bothering me more than it should

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1475 Post by cdnchris » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:46 am

I HATE when I see "Chris's." It irked me just typing that.