Criterion U.K.

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Apperson

Re: Criterion UK

#376 Post by Apperson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:54 am

A Matter of Life and Death has been pulled from Zoom and Amazon.co.uk, no reason given as of right now.

rapta

#377 Post by rapta » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Yup, my pre-order from Zoom has been cancelled and via Twitter they said they're hoping it isn't pulled completely. Very frustrating but I hope it's just a delay rather than cancellation...

Hopefully they'll swap it for something else for July. Barry Lyndon or Being There would be nice, for example.

MichaelB

#378 Post by MichaelB » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:15 pm

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that it has a different rightsholder in the UK and Criterion blithely assumed that it was Sony across the board?

rapta

#379 Post by rapta » Thu May 03, 2018 10:59 am

...and now the UK release of sex, lies, and videotape has also been scrapped/delayed. I wonder what's going on?

MichaelB

#380 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 03, 2018 12:10 pm

Well, that one has a legitimate alternative UK release - and a very recent one, what's more.

Old Soviet titles like the Tarkovskys are one thing, as it's well known that there are all sorts of copyright grey areas there, but clearly it shouldn't normally be possible to have two separate, simultaneous and competing releases of American films made in the last thirty years (or indeed considerably older) within the same territory.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#381 Post by tenia » Thu May 03, 2018 12:15 pm

What's especially surprising here is that you'd think such a renowned structure like Criterion would have thoroughly made all the necessary rightholding researches for their releases, and yet, it seems a bit more chaotic than that.
And if we consider Sony is actually doing most of the UK ports work, don't they have the UK rights of the Soderbergh there ?

reaky

#382 Post by reaky » Thu May 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Paging Criterion: now you have a blank slate in July, go ahead and substitute the Sternberg/Dietrich set. Arrow no longer have the rights. You’re clear.

Finch

#383 Post by Finch » Thu May 03, 2018 2:05 pm

rapta wrote:...and now the UK release of sex, lies, and videotape has also been scrapped/delayed. I wonder what's going on?
That's hysterical. Did no one bother check the rights situation upfront? Mind, if we get the Sternberg box and Female Trouble instead, I'd be a very happy camper.

rapta

#384 Post by rapta » Thu May 03, 2018 2:11 pm

tenia wrote:What's especially surprising here is that you'd think such a renowned structure like Criterion would have thoroughly made all the necessary rightholding researches for their releases, and yet, it seems a bit more chaotic than that.
And if we consider Sony is actually doing most of the UK ports work, don't they have the UK rights of the Soderbergh there ?
Yeah I'm sure it's up to Sony as much as Criterion what gets released over here. Sure, there's already the HMV exclusive edition of sex, lies, and videotape, but that was only exclusive for a limited period - notice Warner Bros released Logan's Run in a regular edition recently, previously an HMV exclusive. Also Sony themselves allowed Indicator to release Jason and the Argonauts last year, even if it was only a box set exclusive.

muchogris

#385 Post by muchogris » Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm

In the leaked titles because of the new site Altered states appeared, anyone know if the current UK release is OOP?

dwk

#386 Post by dwk » Wed May 16, 2018 7:10 pm

The Mishima Blu is down to £17.99 at both Amazon and HMV, so I guess the list price of £38.99 was incorrect.

dwk

#387 Post by dwk » Mon May 21, 2018 11:51 am

According to Amazon UK, Criterion is releasing King of Jazz in July and according to HMV sex, lies, and videotape is back on for an August release.

Obviously King of Jazz is a step down from the cancelled A Matter of Life and Death, but it is interesting in that it is a Universal title. So maybe Universal will let Criterion release the Dietrich & von Sternberg in Hollywood set in the UK.

rapta

#388 Post by rapta » Thu May 24, 2018 6:17 am

July and August titles now confirmed.

King of Jazz (July 9th)
F for Fake (July 30th)
sex, lies, and videotape (August 6th)
Smithereens (August 27th)

No idea why they had to reschedule sex, lies, and videotape but there you go. None as exciting as A Matter of Life and Death was, but at least they're still doing two a month. And like dwk says, interesting to see a Universal title announced - hopefully this means we can get the Dietrich/Von Sternberg set, and possibly other things like Traffic, Ministry of Fear, The Game, The Palm Beach Story and The Breakfast Club.

Perhaps even Paramount titles such as Days of Heaven, Election, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Rosemary's Baby, Moonrise, Riot in Cell Block 11 and Downhill Racer? I believe The Virgin Suicides is Pathé in the UK, as is Topsy-Turvy), so we might not see Criterion editions of those in the UK anytime soon.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#389 Post by tenia » Thu May 24, 2018 6:25 am

Interesting to see that in the end, August couple of titles will basically be 2 new releases, instead of the usual 1 older release + 1 new "simultaneous" release.
Is there a precedent already ? It seems a first to me.
EDIT : yeah, no, November 2017 with Jabberwocky, Philadelphia Story and Desert Hearts was already a 100% new releases month. It remains rare, though.
Last edited by tenia on Thu May 24, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

L.A.

#390 Post by L.A. » Thu May 24, 2018 6:26 am

King of Jazz works for me. :D

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#391 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 24, 2018 9:54 am

Does MoC no longer have F for Fake or is this just Criterion muscling in on the UK labels again?

dwk

#392 Post by dwk » Thu May 24, 2018 10:10 am

There was some talk earlier in the year in the MoC thread on the Blu-ray forum that they had lost the rights to F for Fake, but I see that Eureka is still selling the DVD on their site.

rapta

#393 Post by rapta » Tue May 29, 2018 8:21 am

Eureka indeed lost the rights to it. I remember Kevin (now with Arrow) being quite annoyed as they had planned to upgrade that one when Criterion/Sony snapped up the library it was part of prior to their UK expansion, just after their rights expired. I think a similar thing happened with Grey Gardens (and presumably General Idi Amin Dada, Autoportrait).

By the way, there's a 2 for £25 offer on UK Criterion at the moment with all titles up to and including the March 2018 ones - seems only Zoom have listed Yi Yi and The Age of Innocence in the offer but they might soon be added to the HMV one.

phoenix474

#394 Post by phoenix474 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:56 pm

What do you guys think are the chances that the UK will also get Andrei Rublev from Criterion?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#395 Post by swo17 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:17 pm

I think they might not bother given that they'd be required to censor the film and there's already a competing edition available.

rapta

#396 Post by rapta » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:42 pm

swo17 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:17 pm
I think they might not bother given that they'd be required to censor the film and there's already a competing edition available.
I think they would probably bother as they have already released Solaris, Stalker and Ivan's Childhood, and wouldn't miss the opportunity to release a competing edition, especially as it's reportedly a much better master. I imagine they'll do the same with Mirror eventually.

And I'd be surprised if A Raisin in the Sun wasn't the other September title for the UK, being with Sony.

rockysds

#397 Post by rockysds » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:20 am

Cold Water and My Man Godfrey in September.

Billy Beta

#398 Post by Billy Beta » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:51 pm

I'm saying Shampoo is a UK release for October. There's no UK release of this proper. Arrow has Sisters, I don't know if that's exclusive though.

Apperson

#399 Post by Apperson » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:05 am

A Raisin in the Sun, Andrei Rublev, and The Uninvited are being released in October.

McCrutchy

#400 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:36 pm

Based on what just happened with A Matter of Life and Death, I would still be surprised to see Andrei Rublev. It apparently hasn't been re-classified yet, the last time being for Artificial Eye in 2016, and I doubt Sony or Criterion know the master needs to be cut, which would, I think, also involve cutting the selected-scene commentary track. I expect if it does come out, it will be uncut and eventually withdrawn when someone discovers the error.