Harmonov

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2601 Post by Harmonov » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:30 pm

jwd5275 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:37 am
Boosmahn wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:04 pm
There's a page for War and Peace now.
I wouldn't read too much into this. Since the new website came up, not a single phantom page (which usually show shortly before announcement day) has correlated to the month's actual announcements. Still no Come and See, More, The Valley or The Baker's Wife, all of which have had phantom pages...
Irma Vep also has a phantom page...

goblinfootballs

#2602 Post by goblinfootballs » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:25 pm

They're up:

My Brilliant Career
Police Story/Police Story 2
Diamonds of the Night
A Face in the Crowd
Stranger than Paradise
Night on Earth

Bressonaire

#2603 Post by Bressonaire » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Looks like the stars in the night sky in the New Year's clue might have been for Night on Earth.

Graphist

#2604 Post by Graphist » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Harmonov wrote:
jwd5275 wrote:
Boosmahn wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:04 pm
There's a page for War and Peace now.
I wouldn't read too much into this. Since the new website came up, not a single phantom page (which usually show shortly before announcement day) has correlated to the month's actual announcements. Still no Come and See, More, The Valley or The Baker's Wife, all of which have had phantom pages...
I wish there was a phantom page for The Apartment.

KJones77

#2605 Post by KJones77 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Graphist wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:01 pm
Harmonov wrote:
jwd5275 wrote:

I wish there was a phantom page for The Apartment.
The Arrow release is not just spectacular, but region free.

Criterion couldn't release it even if they wanted to.

Finch

#2606 Post by Finch » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 pm

April continues to be a total bore for announcements. Diamonds of the Night is cheaper via Second Run, Police Story 1 & 2 don't appeal to me but if they did I'd go with Eureka, and Stranger Than Paradise isn't even a 2k restoration.

Shirayukihime

#2607 Post by Shirayukihime » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 am

Will we ever see a release of La Ceremonie?

Minkin

#2608 Post by Minkin » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:19 am

Time for everybody's favorite monthly post-announcement recap: The Speculation Rodeo! (April, 2019 Edition)

Diamonds of the Night - 2019 New Years Clue (diamonds in the sky) + on that Czech National Film Archive license list

A Face in the Crowd - Nov, 2018 newsletter clue; also correctly speculated via our crafty WB OOP DVD snooping

My Brilliant Career - April, 2018 newsletter clue (that took awhile) - meaning Arsenic and Old Lace will have to wait another day. Also making rounds from Janus

Night on Earth - Random upgrade; perhaps Jarmusch confirmed this at some point.

Police Story 1 / 2 - Janus tour; was also confirmed from Fortune Star employee

Stranger Than Paradise - Random upgrade; perhaps Jarmusch confirmed this at some point.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
247 Blu upgrades remain. No real surprises other than the random upgrades. Though I am surprised that we only had one from the New Years clue this round! Though I'm sure somebody could find a way for all of the announced titles to appear in that drawing.

Arsenic and Old Lace will probably be coming at some point; but it looks like the April 2018 newsletter clue was a victory for My Brilliant Career. All collect their winnings now. Although its double or nothing for the drawing being a double clue.

I'm not quite sold on the Night on Earth theory; but if Columbus / something more plausible doesn't turn-up in 2019, I'll declare the answer to have been Night on Earth.

Before Diamonds of the Night, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders was the most recent announced film licensed from the Czech Archive.

Oh, and the Quarantine Guessing Thread winner was ... movielocke! the only person to get 3 of the titles right (well, sorta, but I'm counting it anyway).

Stay Tuned for next month's Rodeo, as we again find out what we already knew and whether any surprise last minute competitors enter the field!

Gerald Christie

#2609 Post by Gerald Christie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:48 am

Finch wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 pm
April continues to be a total bore for announcements. Diamonds of the Night is cheaper via Second Run, Police Story 1 & 2 don't appeal to me but if they did I'd go with Eureka, and Stranger Than Paradise isn't even a 2k restoration.
I know I'm probably the only one that feels that way but their 2019 slate so far has been underwhelming. Notorious, Klute, Detour and The Heiress are the only ones I plan on buying so far.

FrauBlucher

#2610 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 am

It looks like you want Criterion to release ONLY old Hollywood movies.

Glowingwabbit

#2611 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 am

Gerald Christie wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:48 am
Finch wrote:
I know I'm probably the only one that feels that way but their 2019 slate so far has been underwhelming. Notorious, Klute, Detour and The Heiress are the only ones I plan on buying so far.
If you haven't seen To Sleep in Anger I highly recommend it. I would say it's the most important announcement they've made so far in 2019 for the sole fact that it belongs on a list of the greatest American films (especially post-70s) but has been neglected for way too long and might finally get it's due.

Gerald Christie

#2612 Post by Gerald Christie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:30 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 am
It looks like you want Criterion to release ONLY old Hollywood movies.
While it is true that I like what you call "old Hollywood movies", my interests and buying habits certainly don't reflect only that. The films that they have released just aren't doing it for me so far. I would love if they would release Luchino Visconti's Ossesione, upgrade titles like the Morrissey ones, Peeping Tom, The Ruling class, just to name a few.

Gerald Christie

#2613 Post by Gerald Christie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:31 am

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 am
Gerald Christie wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:48 am
Finch wrote:
If you haven't seen To Sleep in Anger I highly recommend it. I would say it's the most important announcement they've made so far in 2019 for the sole fact that it belongs on a list of the greatest American films (especially post-70s) but has been neglected for way too long and might finally get it's due.
Forgot about that one. I have seen it and it's a terrific film.

movielocke

#2614 Post by movielocke » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:11 pm

Gerald Christie wrote:
Finch wrote:
Doubtful, every few weeks someone posts about how much they dislike the current slate and what a let down it is compared to what criterion COULD be releasing if they started doing a good job.

*picks a year at random*

Go back to early 2006, and you'd probably find people helpfully posting that 2005 was SUCH a disappointing year for criterion, if only they'd step up their game to release more of something something something instead of wasting everyone's time with all that unappealing stuff from 2005

FrauBlucher

#2615 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:19 pm

These are screening in the classic program at the Berlinale: Which of these can end up with Criterion?
I feel like I heard a rumor about Destry Rides Again but not positive.

Destry Rides Again
dir: George Marshall, USA 1939
World premiere of the digitally restored version
in 4K DCP

Jagko (Pursuit of Death)
dir: Im Kwon-taek, South Korea 1980
International premiere of the digitally restored version
in 2K DCP

Ordet (The Word)
dir: Carl Theodor Dreyer, Denmark 1955
in 4K DCP

Örökbefogadás (Adoption)
dir: Márta Mészáros, Hungary 1975
in 4K DCP

Die Sieger (The Invincibles), Director’s Cut
dir: Dominik Graf, Germany 1994
in 4K DCP

Ung flukt (The Wayward Girl)
dir: Edith Carlmar, Norway 1959
in 4K DCP

KJones77

#2616 Post by KJones77 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Destry Rides Again was rumored. Kino Insider mentioned they wanted it and Winchester 73 but they were outbid by another studio. It has been assumed since then it was Criterion for both.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2617 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Destry Rides Again is an okay movie, but it would be a strange pick for a Criterion release. Perhaps someone at the label is a fan

Glowingwabbit

#2618 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:45 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:29 pm
Destry Rides Again is an okay movie, but it would be a strange pick for a Criterion release. Perhaps someone at the label is a fan
I agree. I would happily add it to my collection during a KL sale given their prices, but I'm not sure about a criterion edition. Winchester 73 on the other hand is something I'd love for Criterion to do

FrauBlucher

#2619 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:18 pm

Not a fan of Destry Rides Again either. But there was a George Marshall phantom page.

I'm hoping that Jagko, Ordet and Örökbefogadás are Criterion bound.

Luke M

#2620 Post by Luke M » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:35 pm

We really need an upgraded Dreyer set.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2621 Post by Drucker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:14 pm

The BFI set is perfect!

movielocke

#2622 Post by movielocke » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Luke M wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:35 pm
We really need an upgraded Dreyer set.
We probably need it, but Issa Clubb did the Dreyer set, and he also did Berlin Alexanderplatz, after upgrading one big set already in 2019 (presumably, unless Jason Altman took it over since he's been doing a lot of the Fassbinder releases lately), I would think he probably doesn't want to do another box set upgrade. Particularly as there's a decent chance Clubb is working on a Taste of Cherry upgrade as well as the Koker trilogy box set (Clubb did the original Taste of Cherry release).

Not to mention that we know that the Bergman trilogy is getting an upgrade release as well, doubtful there'd be a third box set upgrade on the docket for this year.

yoloswegmaster

#2623 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:54 pm

How do you guys know who was in charge of what?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2624 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:55 pm

There are producer credits in the booklets, I believe. I don't know that anyone here actually knows who produced what other than someone like movielocke who I gather is in the field himself

movielocke

#2625 Post by movielocke » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:04 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:55 pm
There are producer credits in the booklets, I believe. I don't know that anyone here actually knows who produced what other than someone like movielocke who I gather is in the field himself
I don't work on DVD production although one of my best friends from college was a DVD producer at another company for nearly a decade (I'm in television). So I know a bit about the process thanks to my friend and since producers are all important in TV, I pay attention to the producers and have periodically gathered the info on who did what from my collection.