Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Shrew
The Untamed One

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2551 Post by Shrew » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:48 am

The individual Bergman releases are probably aimed at:
a) institutions and libraries that can't/don't want to bother with a big box set
b) revitalizing the back catalog so places like BN are more likely to stock them (I can't imagine sales for the ancient Magic Flute DVD have been particularly high of late)
c) casual consumers who might be drawn by the algorithm after picking up Seventh Seal or Persona
d) people who are only interested in individual titles

The Magic Flute actually makes a lot of sense with that last group, as I imagine there's a decent secondary audience among opera lovers. I expect we'll also eventually get Passion and Hour the Wolf (maybe in October), but the big question mark is the Trilogy. I'm not sure if an upgraded box set is an easy sell to the above markets; I wonder if they'll pull a Teshigahara and only upgrade Winter Light.

kcota17

#2552 Post by kcota17 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:21 pm

They said in a press release that the Faith Trilogy would get a stand alone. I can’t imagine no latter than July, but hopefully that doesn’t take away from Criterion’s usual July boxset release of the year.

Which I’m hoping to be either a Godzilla, Wong Kar Wai or an Apichatpong Weerasethakul set.

Minkin

#2553 Post by Minkin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:09 am

Morbii wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:54 am
FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:40 am
Minkin, Love your rodeo. The clue from the New Year drawing that is still unaccounted for is the worm like Knight, right?
I enjoy his rodeo as well.
*her.

and also thanks!

In other news - a 4k restoration of Ozu's Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice is making the rounds from Janus (not yet listed on their front page). So, I'd expect it to be announced sometime this year.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#2554 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:27 am

Minkin wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:09 am
In other news - a 4k restoration of Ozu's Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice is making the rounds from Janus (not yet listed on their front page). So, I'd expect it to be announced sometime this year.
Hoping, hoping, hoping for a significant improvement over what's been available up until now....

movielocke

Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2555 Post by movielocke » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Minkin wrote:
Morbii wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:40 am
Minkin, Love your rodeo. The clue from the New Year drawing that is still unaccounted for is the worm like Knight, right?
*her.

and also thanks!

Probably my most hoped for 2019 release, it’s been nine years since a new main line ozu was released

I also love seeing the round up at the end of every announcement day.

FrauBlucher

#2556 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:29 pm

The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice is currently screening at the Film Forum. I noticed that films (especially if they are Janus) usually, but not always, get announced the month after playing at the FF. So, I could see a Jan or Feb announcement.

Morbii

#2557 Post by Morbii » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Minkin wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:09 am
Morbii wrote:
*her.
Apologies.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2558 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Paramount's Blu-ray of the Man Who Shot Liberty Valence appears to be out of print and is unavailable from any online retailer. Especially considering the Blu carried over none of the special features from the DVD editions, this would be a natural fit for an upgrade either internally or from Criteiron, so fingers crossed

FrauBlucher

#2559 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:02 pm

There is speculation on the HTF that Kino could have a deal with Paramount, which is the worst studio right now for upgrading and licensing. The KLinsider is quick to tout any deals they have, which he hasn't about Paramount.

A late Ford would be a great addition to Criterion.

KJones77

#2560 Post by KJones77 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:13 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:02 pm
There is speculation on the HTF that Kino could have a deal with Paramount, which is the worst studio right now for upgrading and licensing. The KLinsider is quick to tout any deals they have, which he hasn't about Paramount.

Of course the first post and start of the rumor is already incorrect. KLInsider confirmed they got Huston's Phobia as a replacement in an old deal for another film with bad materials.

JSC

#2561 Post by JSC » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:55 pm

FrauBlucher wrote: ↑
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Still waiting for new editions of Roman Holiday, Face to Face and The Tenant as well!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2562 Post by domino harvey » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:03 pm

As far as I know, Face to Face is still with Olive. Maybe they'll rerelease it via one of their fancy Blu-ray editions, since the previous release didn't even merit more than a DVD of the shorter theatrical version

FrauBlucher

#2563 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:50 pm

With The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice coming at some point soon, it got me thinking. What are the chances that some of the films in the Late Ozu Eclipse can get upgraded, which was released 2007. I would love to see that for Early Spring.

Big Ben

#2564 Post by Big Ben » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:09 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:50 pm
With The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice coming at some point soon, it got me thinking. What are the chances that some of the films in the Late Ozu Eclipse can get upgraded, which was released 2007. I would love to see that for Early Spring.
I was under the impression that some might? Perhaps I was mistaken but wasn't Tokyo Twilight restored? I could have sworn one or more of the films in that wonderful set had gotten a restoration I just can't be certain at the moment. mfunk's patented brain worms have gotten to me it seems!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2565 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:11 pm

I think Ozu is the director I would most like next to see get the Bergman box treatment

Graphist

#2566 Post by Graphist » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:15 pm

^ I hear you, but I have a feeling it will be Charles Chaplin.

artfilmfan

#2567 Post by artfilmfan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:09 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:50 pm
I was under the impression that some might? Perhaps I was mistaken but wasn't Tokyo Twilight restored? I could have sworn one or more of the films in that wonderful set had gotten a restoration I just can't be certain at the moment. mfunk's patented brain worms have gotten to me it seems!
Green Tea and all the titles in the Eclipse set except The End of Summer got restored and released in Japan on Blu-ray with English subtitles.

Big Ben

#2568 Post by Big Ben » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:31 pm

artfilmfan wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:59 pm
Green Tea and all the titles in the Eclipse set except The End of Summer got restored and released in Japan on Blu-ray with English subtitles.
Thank you for the clarification. My favorite of the bunch is Tokyo Twilight and I'd love to see a more lavish edition of his darkest film but I guess we'll just have to wait and see I guess? I'm with swo on the box set thing. I can't imagine a director more worthy of it.

artfilmfan

#2569 Post by artfilmfan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:56 pm

With such a huge profit made from selling his Bergman box set, swo can probably afford to start importing the Japanese Blu-rays to assemble his own Ozu box set right now. :wink:

andyli

#2570 Post by andyli » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Per my record the 4K restorations of Ozu films that have yet to receive a Criterion upgrade are: Tokyo Twilight, The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice, Early Spring, Early Summer, Late Spring, Equinox Flower, Late Autumn, Floating Weeds. That's a rather long list.

Big Ben

#2571 Post by Big Ben » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Early Summer and Tokyo Twilight would be my nominations personally but we've all conveniently forgotten what is probably a far bigger cash cow, Kurosawa. I love Ozu but I imagine a market would be far thirstier/hungrier for one of those box sets seeing as there is already precedent.

FrauBlucher

#2572 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Janus has bluray listed as a screening option for the 1959 version of Floating Weeds. So, maybe this will be coming sooner than later.

CSM126

#2573 Post by CSM126 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:18 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:21 pm
Janus has bluray listed as a screening option for the 1959 version of Floating Weeds. So, maybe this will be coming sooner than later.
Janus offers blu-rays for lots of films that have never received blu-Ray releases on home video. It’s not a reliable indicator of a Criterion blu release at all.

FrauBlucher

#2574 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:34 am

I often scroll through the Janus site with the bluray filter on. This is the first time I've seen this film being offered on bluray. Which tells me Janus has received a restoration of some kind that allows them to create a bluray for screenings. With an eye to maybe someday a Criterion bluray will happen.

whaleallright

#2575 Post by whaleallright » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:18 am

This is nitpicky, but it seems like we should distinguish between a new HD transfer and a "restoration". I guess these days given that any new transfer is typically accompanied by some algorithmic digital cleanup, the difference has maybe been collapsed. But I still have some inclination to guard the distinction.