Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
FrauBlucher

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2526 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:05 am

Domino is probably correct in his theory that Lionsgate will be allowed to keep their SC output, which isn't much, in print, while Criterion releases their editions. This will also bode well for Spine # 1 to return to Collection. Something I'm sure is at the top of Becker's list.

Graphist

Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#2527 Post by Graphist » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:14 am

They are definitely on a roll to return as many (if not all) as possible!

… And with the Bergmania box success are we entering the golden age of Criterion or what?…

FrauBlucher

#2528 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:54 am

If Ran is indeed coming back, and the KLInsider suggested it's a small deal with Criterion (he didn't say Criterion, just assuming) then I see La Grande Illusion, the 4 Godards and 2 or 3 of the Melvilles and hopefully The Third Man. That's about 9 or 10.

DRW.mov

#2529 Post by DRW.mov » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:56 am

The essentials for Criterion are clearly Grand Illusion, The Third Man, and Pierrot le fou, but I sincerely hope, if anything, they bring the Buñuel titles back. His films are so hard to come by in America as is and to have literally his most famous titles unavailable on disc is insane.

RSTooley

#2530 Post by RSTooley » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:18 am

As much as I'd love to see the OOP StudioCanal titles back in Criterion's library, my biggest hope is The Elephant Man. Weirdly, Inland Empire is also listed on StudioCanal's 'complete archive'. Do they own the North American rights to it?

FrauBlucher

#2531 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:14 am

I always thought Paramount had the US rights to The Elephant Man.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#2532 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:24 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:14 am
I always thought Paramount had the US rights to The Elephant Man.
I thought the rights reverted back to Mel Brooks and his Brooksfilm production company at some point.

Big Ben

#2534 Post by Big Ben » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:12 am

omgkitty wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:56 am
Interesting: https://www.criterion.com/films/28642-bread-and-alley
Understandable that this short would be here as we know Criterion is preparing the Koker Trilogy for a 2019 and I assume this will be an extra. Good find!

kcota17

#2535 Post by kcota17 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:00 am

A new edition of Peeping Tom would also be gorgeous next to the other great Powell releases.

andyli

#2536 Post by andyli » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:24 am

Given most Kiarostami's major films are coming out in Japan starting in February. I'd say the Criterion release of Koker trilogy is imminent, probably due in February as well.

EDIT: Didn't realize Criterion had already announced their February line-up. So March the earliest then.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2537 Post by domino harvey » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:48 pm

March has to be one of the most American-heavy months in the label's history: 4/5 of the new titles are US (and Japon is North American, so technically 5/5 continent-wise!)

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#2538 Post by Omensetter » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:13 pm

My Brilliant Career is probably the new 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days clue-wise, unless somehow, someway last April's newsletter clue was poorly conceptualized.

movielocke

#2539 Post by movielocke » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Omensetter wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:13 pm
My Brilliant Career is probably the new 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days clue-wise, unless somehow, someway last April's newsletter clue was poorly conceptualized.
it was an ill and sore car.

playing possum.

nothing confusing about that smart car rear clue at all.

FrauBlucher

#2540 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 pm

movielocke wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:20 pm
Omensetter wrote:
it was an ill and sore car.

playing possum.

Make way for Ribs. :wink:

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#2541 Post by Omensetter » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:36 pm

movielocke wrote:
I was more suggesting it is likely delayed; every subsequent clue, minus Let the Sunshine In and A Face in the Crowd, was released exactly six months after its newsletter appearance, save for Notorious.

KJones77

#2542 Post by KJones77 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:47 pm

Omensetter wrote:
I saw this elsewhere and figured I'd ask here:

is it possible that Blue Underground is holding up the My Brilliant Career release in the same way they've interfered with the Arrow release of Django?

dwk

#2543 Post by dwk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:01 pm

No, I'm pretty sure Bill Lustig mentioned Criterion releasing My Brilliant Career and Smithereens on a podcast interview earlier this year. (Supporting Characters podcast, I think.)

movielocke

#2544 Post by movielocke » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Omensetter wrote:
movielocke wrote:
I was more suggesting it is likely delayed; every subsequent clue, minus Let the Sunshine In and A Face in the Crowd, was released exactly six months after its newsletter appearance, save for Notorious.
Yeah it’s delayed, it was even scheduled for a full digital spine number release for filmstruck in October, probably to coincide with its originally scheduled releases date.

dwk

#2545 Post by dwk » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:49 am

If this is to be believed, next year Criterion is finally going to release some of the Wong Kar-wai titles they've been working on

Minkin

#2546 Post by Minkin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:19 am

Here is March 2019's Speculation Rodeo

Detour - Janus tour

Japón - was previously confirmed (along with Reygadas' other films)

The Kid Brother - Janus has all Lloyd films, so all will be coming eventually; this particular film was confirmed as "next" though; also was on Filmstruck

The Magic Flute - Continued trot of Bergman films for those who love to double dip / complain

Wanda - Janus tour

I Wanna Hold Your Hand - September newsletter clue; also confirmed by the writer
=============================================
(same as last month) 249 upgrades remain. No real surprises this month, other than finally getting another Harold Lloyd film after a several year drought (last was Speedy). I do wonder how many more Bergman films we're still going to get (and who is buying them??). We still have quite a few clues from previous New Years' drawings + newsletter clues outstanding. Besides all the direct confirmations and plethora of Janus tours - the forthcoming New Years clue won't leave many surprises for 2019.

Per my promise - Criterion failed to deliver on Bringing Up Baby / The Thin Man in 2018 announcements. So, I officially declare that skeleton to have been a clue for Dead Man (even though it was already all-but-announced). With that, the 2018 New Years clues are over (including Filmstruck - which about half of the clues in that drawing were references to ...).

Per the discussion on the Quarantined thread - the Janus website only lists stuff (that they have the rights to) which have received either a physical release from Criterion, or a Janus tour. There are some exceptions and oddities that do appear on the Janus list - and many of those seem to indicate forthcoming Janus tours (Police Story, for example). But I would not worry about anything not being listed on there, as it is far away from being any sort of definitive list of even Janus' holdings.

Robespierre

#2547 Post by Robespierre » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:17 am

I wonder if Criterion's plan was to upgrade all of the Bergman's that already had a spine but previously had DVD-only releases? Shame is a pretty big title so that one makes sense to receive a new spine. All that's left is the faith trilogy and that was already confirmed to be coming at some point. Perhaps also hour of the wolf and/or passion of Anna but I can't see how releasing any more makes sense, especially since people are clamouring to just buy the big boxset anyway.

FrauBlucher

#2548 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:40 am

Minkin, Love your rodeo. The clue from the New Year drawing that is still unaccounted for is the worm like Knight, right?

I still think they are going to upgrade some of the older Bergman’s that were eventually released with a 4k scan. e.g. The Seventh Seal. Criterion knows as well as anyone that many of their customers are completists.

Minkin

#2549 Post by Minkin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:53 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:40 am
Minkin, Love your rodeo. The clue from the New Year drawing that is still unaccounted for is the worm like Knight, right?

I still think they are going to upgrade some of the older Bergman’s that were eventually released with a 4k scan. e.g. The Seventh Seal. Criterion knows as well as anyone that many of their customers are completists.
Aww, thanks! I'm never sure if anybody reads the rodeos, so I'm happy to have a fan and will gladly keep up the tradition!

The knighted worm I think turned out to be for El Sur ( "L" Sir). The only thing that was a question was the skeleton - which most thought was Dead Man; but that film had already been confirmed many, many times over (even a newsletter clue + direct email confirmation asking for Q&A questions) + the dog's location made sense as a tie-in clue. I'm sure we'll get a Criterion edition of Bringing Up Baby at some point, but I concede that this wasn't the clue. Everything else in the drawing has been accounted for though! So hats off to 2018, and bring on 2019's clue (+the missing selections from 2017 / 2015).

I'm sure that somebody is buying the individual Bergman releases, though I wonder how many completionists are being catered by the decision! But this all proves the point of how successful of sellers Bergman films must be if they can release them multiple times, even when it works against the consumer's common sense! :P

Morbii

#2550 Post by Morbii » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:54 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:40 am
El Sur, no?

I enjoy his rodeo as well.