Collecting Criterion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Collecting Criterion

#301 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:24 pm

If you want more of this kind of thing, Clouzot, Inagaki, Fuller, and Roeg are the only directors with multiple Criterion LDs that were all upgraded during the DVD-only era and again during the BD era. I think Ozu has the best chance of joining that club in the future, with Early Summer as the MIA Blu. Inagaki is the only one whose Criterion catalog has been completely consistent and never had any additional titles released in the post-LD era.

colinr0380

#302 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:35 pm

And thats probably only because you release all of the Samurai trilogy, or none of them!

The Fanciful Norwegian

#303 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:29 pm

True, though I am a little surprised Criterion never released any of his other films, even if just as part of an Eclipse set. They did eventually put Samurai Saga on Hulu.

knives

#304 Post by knives » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:40 pm

They also have The Rickshaw Man.

Emak-Bakia

#305 Post by Emak-Bakia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Just stumbled upon this eBay seller going to desperate lengths to assign some notion of rarity to his copies of Mulholland Drive:
This auction is for a single (quantity: 1) SEALED 1ST PRESSING Mullholland Drive on Blu Ray as part of the Criterion Collection. It is Region A. What is this first pressing you ask? Mulholland Drive on Blu Ray was released by the Criterion Collection in November of 2015. I had bought a couple of them figuring they would sell out; initially they didn't. Then in October of 2016 the Criterion Collection website ran out and their webpage for the item said they were temporarily out. In early November they were back for sale. Everything made before this event was a 1st pressing. Everything after, to us collectors, is 2nd. See my pictures as I have the proof of my copies ordered a year ago.

There are other sellers out there selling the same movie with the same UPC code, but how will you know if you are getting a first or second pressing from them?.

The winner of this auction will receive a copy of my invoice with all personal information uncovered and I will be personally signing each one affirming it is indeed copy 5 the 5 as this is my Last One. The one copy you see missing in the picture is in my personal collection. These movies have been kept in my collection cabinets all this time free of smoke, sunlight, and pet dander. You can bid with confidence due to my number of years on ebay, number of transactions, 100% Feedback, I'm a collector, and I'm a buyer like you.
I could be mistaken, but aren't all copies of this title currently in circulation identical and still considered part of the "first printing"?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#306 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:53 pm

...and it worked, it has sold!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#307 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:37 pm

I have a first printing of Border Radio. I have proof. Only $100.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#308 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:41 pm

You're going to have to pay someone more than $100 to accept your copy of Border Radio

calculus entrophy

#309 Post by calculus entrophy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:08 pm

I will be personally signing each one affirming it is indeed copy 5 the 5 as this is my Last One.
I bet this part really put it over the top for serious collectors.

cpetrizzi

#310 Post by cpetrizzi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 pm

cpetrizzi wrote:I have an Excel spreadsheet that is kept up-to-date. I know most have made the switch to Google which make it easier to share. I keep my collection ordered by spine number which is not inconvenient for me since I can use the ss.
Currently I own 840/888 spines (Othello not out yet). The breakdown is 422/548 blus and 454/888 dvds. If I have the blu, then I most likely won't get the dvd unless there's supplements that are only in the dvd. I am planning on acquiring every blu once I'm complete though.

And I have 41/44 eclipse sets with many other box sets. The big one I'm missing is AK100. With some going close to $1500 new, I'll probably have to wait 'til the end to get that one. If anyone's getting rid of their Rialto, Janus, or Essential Art sets, I'm in the market for those, too. I also have original digi-paks and the corresponding clamshell cases.

My plan is to redecorate my study to accommodate the entire collection within the next few years.

Morbii

#311 Post by Morbii » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:05 pm

I had the entire collection about the time they introduced blu (and a few months or so after) - close to 600 spines. I was also buying DVD/blu upgrades (or whatever we call full re-releases), which some of the timing caused me to have 3 copies of things, such as Seven Samurai, for example, which had a DVD rerelease followed by a blu later on. I initially thought I'd buy all DVD/blu, but the thought basically burned me out, and it was then I decided I could stop being ultra anal about the collection aspect.

Due to life issues and the burnout, I stopped collecting for a few years for the most part. Last Nov, after a long period of not watching many films, I finally felt up to investing time with film watching again, and the collector bug caught me again.

At this point, I have all Eclipse. I'm short 96 spines, and I have 116 blu upgrades I need, two of which are OOP (sadly). I'm hoping to have caught up by end of next year, perhaps (though, this sale I picked up a staggering ~100 titles).

While I am a collector, my primary goal is really being a viewer. So I've decided to not worry about duplicates (so I don't care about AK100). Im also not worried about Essential Arthouse at this time because I have exactly zero. I may get the standalone Bergman Island for the spine, but that'll be dead last since I have it with Seventh Seal.

In other news, I do have 2 sealed extra blus of BOTH Third Man and Pierrot le Fou (plus 2-3 Pierrot on DVD too). Third man copies are both the original digipacks that are "bent", so to speak (but I'm not sure they came any other way) - that is to say, looking at them from a birds eye view they look like a parallelogram instead of a rectangle, and were like that from the source. I am looking for Le cercle rouge and Man Who Fell to Earth on blu.

movielocke

Re: Re: Criterion Blu-ray

#312 Post by movielocke » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:39 pm

I looked, and Sid and Nancy took the record from good morning, at 18 years, ten months between editions. Since Silence of the Lambs was released in july of 98, that will be at minimum 19 years, six months between editions when it comes out.

http://www.criterionforum.org/calendar.php?year=1998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

March 31st, 2018 will be the twentieth anniversary of criterion DVD releases.

ahorseoffcourse

#313 Post by ahorseoffcourse » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Morbii,

If you're looking to part with one your Third Man parallelograms for a reasonably insane price, I would be very interested. It's my favorite movie (tied with Night of the Hunter), but my bidding wars on ebay have so far left me Lime-less. Anyway, let me know!

cpetrizzi

#314 Post by cpetrizzi » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:23 pm

As of now, I am almost complete on the entire DVD/Bluray Criterion Collection. I have every spine, all Eclipse sets, and all Ivory Merchant DVDs. I also have the specialty items, the last of which was "Criterion Goes To The Movies Buyer's Guide CD-ROM." I am still looking for a mint copy of AK 100: 25 Kurosawa films. They are going for $1000 on ebay and I can't find it in me to pull the trigger yet. But all in all I am very happy with my collection after 20 years.

hearthesilence

#316 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:07 pm

And Michael Moore fails to sway another consumer who paid good money for Bowling for Columbine.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#317 Post by cdnchris » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:36 pm

And he ordered them by spine...

Boosmahn

#318 Post by Boosmahn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Hold on, so is this man trying to force the U.S. government to reevaluate its gun control laws... or does he just want to put weapons in the hands of every individual?

Bowling for Columbine has never been so relevant.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#319 Post by Brian C » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 am

Boosmahn wrote:Hold on, so is this man trying to force the U.S. government to reevaluate its gun control laws... or does he just want to put weapons in the hands of every individual?
These two things do not seem to be mutually exclusive. In fact, they go hand in hand.

This is getting waaaaay off topic, but it was actually an interesting article and the issues seem legitimately thorny to me. I suspect this guy is right that gun control will soon become impossible. I don’t know what the implications of that are, but it’s worth thinking about.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#320 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 am

I own about 3000 Blu-rays. If this guy can get his room certified as a library, I'm going to have a look into getting mine too !

Gregory

#321 Post by Gregory » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:10 am

I suppose in a country where an individual stockpiling military-grade weapons counts as being part of a militia that is "well regulated," even if he's not, then it's not much of a reach to consider a bunch of Blu-rays and books in someone's dimly lit storage space a "public library," even when it's not.

colinr0380

#322 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:19 am

The way modern society is going at this point would be the 'twist' that privately owning a collection of films gets banned as tantamount to declaring an intention to own an armoury!

(Also nobody tell him about that World of Guns: Gun Disassembly game)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#323 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:25 am

Gregory wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:10 am
I suppose in a country where an individual stockpiling military-grade weapons counts as being part of a militia that is "well regulated," even if he's not, then it's not much of a reach to consider a bunch of Blu-rays and books in someone's dimly lit storage space a "public library," even when it's not.
That's pretty much my thought, but the worst part is that it's likely other people think that's actually a good idea, and that yes, there's nothing wrong with that.

Yaanu

#324 Post by Yaanu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:23 pm

It's a bit more complex than that. He fought for the right to distribute 3D-printable guns, arguing that said distribution of the code and files that make up those guns falls under First Amendment protections, and won in court. His company office (not his home) is where the collection of Criterion films are kept; along with a complete collection of Penguin Classics books, he wants to have the "library" certified to gain access to US military records and reels of firearm technical manuals, which he would further have digitized and distributed.

Back on the topic of Criterion, can anybody tell if he has "The Third Man" and any other OOP BDs? If so, I'm going to need to book a flight ahead of the inevitable government raid of the premises.

miless

#325 Post by miless » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:15 am

can I show up to check out books and blu-rays? I mean I don't necessarily want to own the whole collection! It is certainly an interesting moral offset...replacing disappearing public-libraries with entities established as legal shields for abhorrent activities, that is.