Collecting Criterion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
movielocke

Re: Collecting Criterion

#251 Post by movielocke » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:11 pm

might as well update through the november 2015 releases, as I have time at the moment, and probably won't next month:

Total spine numbers: 786
Total Bluray spine numbers: 435
Total DVD only spine numbers: 351

Total Out of print spine numbers: 78
Total Out of print bluray spine numbers: 9
Total Out of print DVD only spines: 69

Total in Print spine numbers: 708
Total in print bluray spine numbers: 426
Total in print DVD only spine numbers: 282

Total number of spines that have been upgraded to bluray: 150
Total number of in print spines that have been upgraded to bluray: 145

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#253 Post by Drucker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:07 pm

If we're a cult then where's my robe?

cpetrizzi

#254 Post by cpetrizzi » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:44 pm

Movielocke, quick question. Is that the entire CC or your collected CC?

Also, Moe are you current yet? I know there was a time you had around 20 or so to go. Did you ever take the plunge into the Eclipse box sets? Here is my current status:

SDVD Blu-Rays
Owned Owned
0 89 1
100 38 7
200 30 -
300 22 7
400 17 20
500 15 82
600 20 100
700 27 81

258 298

I have an Excel spreadsheet that is kept up-to-date. I know most have made the switch to Google which make it easier to share. I keep my collection ordered by spine number which is not inconvenient for me since I can use the ss.

cpetrizzi

#255 Post by cpetrizzi » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:09 pm

Who here has actual OCD? Someone mentioned this in an earlier post. Anyone who does is not going to like this unless you've been collecting every single release since Day 1.

What if an "authentic" collection means acquiring every permutation of every spine? For example, Criterion has released corrected discs (2nd, 3rd editions) for 1st edition discs like in Carlos and Dead Ringers. Also, Salò had the original release, the new logo "C" release, and the blu-ray release. The new Tati collection plus all the OOP original DVDs. All the versions of Seven Samurai including the restoration edition. AK 100 25 films. And so on.

This is more of a purely hypothetical question. I am more than happy to get a collection which represents all spines/movies even though I do have a few extra permutations here and there.

movielocke

#256 Post by movielocke » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:20 pm

cpetrizzi wrote:Movielocke, quick question. Is that the entire CC or your collected CC?

Also, Moe are you current yet? I know there was a time you had around 20 or so to go. Did you ever take the plunge into the Eclipse box sets? Here is my current status:

SDVD Blu-Rays
Owned Owned
0 89 1
100 38 7
200 30 -
300 22 7
400 17 20
500 15 82
600 20 100
700 27 81

258 298

I have an Excel spreadsheet that is kept up-to-date. I know most have made the switch to Google which make it easier to share. I keep my collection ordered by spine number which is not inconvenient for me since I can use the ss.
That's the whole collection. I've only got about 200 personally and 44 eclipse

Moe Dickstein

#257 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:13 pm

cpetrizzi wrote:Also, Moe are you current yet? I know there was a time you had around 20 or so to go. Did you ever take the plunge into the Eclipse box sets?
First, sorry for like nearly a year for your reply. I hope you weren't holding your breath or anything else.

I WAS complete when the Demy box came out. Then I started making my own film and lost a bit of income so no more Criterion $$$.

In the last 3 months when I had a bit to spare I actually decided to complete the LD set (I'm counting by film since the spines are so erratic - 304).

I've kept up a bit with the Blus and I have 76 to buy before I'd be complete as of today. If I get another solid gig I'll probably make a massive dent in that this November, I did get a few at this sale for the first time in a long time and I got 6 from Costco.

However I've gone from 25% of the LD set to 83% today in just over 2 months of hunting. It's more fun when you are stuck with small used shops and eBay for EVERYTHING. I told B&N they need to get some 20 year old Laserdiscs in for me during the sale but they just gave me funny looks and said they were calling someone to come "help" me.

It's been a trip building that set again, just 49 more to go so I'll be done before years end, and then I can go back to the Blus. Funny thing is there are still 112 LD only films, have all but 10 of those.

I never went near Eclipse
~ no spine #
~ DVD only
~ no extras

I already have hundreds of CC mainline to watch over the next however many years of my life, and the reason I'm attracted to them is best quality and extras, so Eclipse is not the line for me.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#258 Post by swo17 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Then you're arbitrarily missing out on some of the very best films in the collection...News from Home, Le ciel est à vous, Poil de carotte, Tokyo Twilight, Daisies, A Report on the Party and Guests, Blaise Pascal, I Was Born But... And that's only scratching the surface.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#259 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:33 pm

On the other hand, he gets to avoid the Mailer movies

Moe Dickstein

#260 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:58 pm

swo17 wrote:Then you're arbitrarily missing out on some of the very best films in the collection...News from Home, Le ciel est à vous, Poil de carotte, Tokyo Twilight, Daisies, A Report on the Party and Guests, Blaise Pascal, I Was Born But... And that's only scratching the surface.
Three of them at least I have on mainline Laser - Osaka Elegy, Victim and The League of Gentlemen.

As I said its about more than the film itself for me and I understand thats the microscopic minority around here. I've kept my flame suit in storage. Nothing wrong with Eclipse for those who love it, just not my cup of tea.

knives

#261 Post by knives » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:57 pm

The problem with that though is that there is no single aesthetic in eclipse. They cover as wide, perhaps wider, a swath of films as the mainline. If you really want to be a good tech wonk then you should just get 35mm copies instead.

Moe Dickstein

#262 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:31 pm

knives wrote:The problem with that though is that there is no single aesthetic in eclipse. They cover as wide, perhaps wider, a swath of films as the mainline. If you really want to be a good tech wonk then you should just get 35mm copies instead.
Gotta draw a line somewhere. If it was just about the films sure, but I'm a collector of spine numbers.

knives

#263 Post by knives » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:47 pm

That's stupid. I recognize my response isn't as mature as the forum typically endorses, but choosing to watch and experience art based on not just who releases it, but how and if it has a number shows such a loathing of art as art that I can't muster any respect for such a position.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#264 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:52 pm

"If it was just about the films" says it all

knives

#265 Post by knives » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:56 pm

I mean, that's not even being a techno wank like a lot of the Bluray forum people which is at least a logical position even if I strongly disagree with it. This is nothing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#266 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:58 pm

I'm sure it goes over well when he tells people "Would you like to see my collection of spines?"

danieltiger

#267 Post by danieltiger » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:12 pm

knives wrote:That's stupid. I recognize my response isn't as mature as the forum typically endorses, but choosing to watch and experience art based on not just who releases it, but how and if it has a number shows such a loathing of art as art that I can't muster any respect for such a position.
What does what you collect have to do with what you watch? Are they guaranteed to be the same thing? I watch a lot of things I don't buy.

knives

#268 Post by knives » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:14 pm

I don't either, but Moe was indicating that he wasn't even interesting in renting such films.

movielocke

#269 Post by movielocke » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Moe Dickstein wrote:
knives wrote:The problem with that though is that there is no single aesthetic in eclipse. They cover as wide, perhaps wider, a swath of films as the mainline. If you really want to be a good tech wonk then you should just get 35mm copies instead.
Gotta draw a line somewhere. If it was just about the films sure, but I'm a collector of spine numbers.
Eclipse has spine numbers. I've got all of them. More importantly, I've watched all of them.

Moe Dickstein

#270 Post by Moe Dickstein » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:03 pm

I've sure missed this place.

kidc85

#271 Post by kidc85 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:43 am

In Moe's defense, there's no way that I'll ever be able to watch every single movie I want to before I die so introducing some arbitrary system of choosing what to prioritise doesn't seem too bad (especially if this arbitrary system makes him happy in other ways).

captveg

#272 Post by captveg » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:46 am

We all choose arbitrary limits to what we watch / prioritize to watch. Moe is just using one that many here feel is too restrictive, and I don't see why it upsets some so much.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#273 Post by jindianajonz » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:31 am

If anyone was curious what Moe looks like in real life
SpoilerShow

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#274 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:38 am

captveg wrote:We all choose arbitrary limits to what we watch / prioritize to watch. Moe is just using one that many here feel is too restrictive, and I don't see why it upsets some so much.
I don't choose arbitrary reasons at all-- I base my choices on a mix of personal interest and (perceived) cultural importance, as I'm sure most people do. If I only watched movies that started with the letters A-G, that would be arbitrary and equivalent to Moe's methodology

knives

#275 Post by knives » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:45 pm

Yeah, basically. My viewing priorities are restrained somewhat in order to fit into the lists projects here at the forum, but otherwise I just rent or buy based on a mixture of availability and what sounds cool. I wouldn't, as Moe's methodology does, not watch Equinox Flower even though I love Ozu because it lacks a wacky C or a Bluray.