17 Marketa Lazarová

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
MichaelB

Re: 17 Marketa Lazarová

#226 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:04 am

I'm not sure whether you're talking about Second Run or Criterion, but the former has already released The Devil's Trap on region-free Blu-ray.

Calvin

#227 Post by Calvin » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 am

jegharfangetmigenmyg wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:59 am
Calvin wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:55 am
ryannichols7 wrote:it's best that Second Run put their resources towards the other titles like Holubice or Valley of the Bees that Criterion wouldn't release
There's also all of his post-Adelheid films that they haven't tackled at all yet, even in the DVD era. Hopefully they're in the pipeline.
Indeed they should. Holubice (The White Dove) is one of them, though. But yes, hopefully, eventually they will release those titles, and The Devil's Trap, too. There are already HDTV versions (that don't look like upscales) of all his sixties films floating around on the web.
As Michael mentioned, they have released The Devil's Trap on Blu-Ray and I'm not sure if you missed their DVD release of The White Dove as well.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#228 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:29 pm

Thanks, both! I have missed the BD release of The Devil's Trap. Ordered! Re. The White Dove, I actually have that DVD sitting on the shelf. Haven't seen it yet.

j99

#229 Post by j99 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:55 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:49 am
Yes, that is indeed the official position. It's legally impossible to release it uncut in the UK without a repeal of the 1937 Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act, and since that clearly isn't going to happen they recommend that you either get hold of the Criterion (Region A) or Czech National Film Archive (region-free) BDs - both are 100% English-friendly, and both are based on the same 4K restoration that they'd have used themselves.

For similar reasons, it's unlikely that we'll get a UK release of Knights of the Teutonic Order, even though there's a restoration available and Polish rightsholders have become more reasonable.
Unfortunately, I don’t have a multi region blu ray player, but really ought to get one, as I also missed the Criterion Andrei Rublev, which was withdrawn for similar reasons. It’s a law which I don’t disagree with, but can be frustrating as far as Region B upgrades are concerned.

MichaelB

#230 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:57 pm

You don't need a multi-region player for the Czech edition of Marketa Lazarová - I have that disc, and it's definitely region-free.

j99

#231 Post by j99 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:12 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:57 pm
You don't need a multi-region player for the Czech edition of Marketa Lazarová - I have that disc, and it's definitely region-free.
I was thinking of the Criterion, but yes, the Czech edition is definitely an option.