127 / BD 25 Journey to the Beginning of Time

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Glowingwabbit

127 / BD 25 Journey to the Beginning of Time

#1 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Zeman's Journey to the Beginning of Time is now on the coming soon page.

Bikey

Re: Forthcoming: Journey to the Beginning of Time

#2 Post by Bikey » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:13 pm

AidanKing

#3 Post by AidanKing » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Does anyone know how this compares to the other Zeman films Second Run has released?

Bikey

#4 Post by Bikey » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:23 am

Blu-ray pre-order just £14.99 at HMV UK

The Curious Sofa

#6 Post by The Curious Sofa » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:32 pm

AidanKing wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm
Does anyone know how this compares to the other Zeman films Second Run has released?
As a film ? It’s very much Zeman finding his feet in live action, primarily experimenting with special effects techniques. The film is charming but virtually plotless, a travelogue through a prehistoric world with a group of boys as our guides. It’s far less elaborate than Invention for Destruction or Baron Munchausen and I have to admit in comparison to the two other films, slightly outstays it’s running time. The two previous Second Run releases were dazzling, so I hope this will follow suit. I also hope that more restaurations of Zeman’s films will follow.

Bikey

Re: 127 / BD 25 Journey to the Beginning of Time

#7 Post by Bikey » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:08 pm

"derived from a new 4K restoration of the film and the results are stunning. The colors are not dazzling but that is the result of the color scheme but textures of clothing and the real and artificial additions to the environment come through along with an enhanced sense of depth in suspenseful scenes following or leading the boys towards wonders and dangers."

The first review is in! Eric Cotenas at DVD Compare

PillowRock

#8 Post by PillowRock » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 am

AidanKing wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm
From a couple things that I've seen online, Journey to the Beginning of Time seems to be the most popular Zeman with the Czech public.

However, I enjoyed the ones that Second Run previously released (and a couple others that the Zeman museum put out on DVD) more than this one. For my taste, Journey played a bit like an After School Special that tries to sneak educational material to the kids while they think they're watching a straight adventure story. Also, the overall look and feel struck me as being not quite as uniquely Zeman-esque as the others (a bit more of a direct descendant of things like The Lost World).

I like Zeman quite a bit. So saying that I enjoyed the others more isn't a pan.

Bikey

#9 Post by Bikey » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:05 am

OUT TODAY!

And Blu-ray now just £14.99 at Amazon UK

Bikey

#10 Post by Bikey » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:37 am

"A family-friendly adventure ideal for worldwide audiences, it paved the way for an innovative, remarkable career [...]
The delicate color scheme of the film has been thoughtfully maintained here, with an interesting earthy look that resembles old photographs rather than the vibrant Technicolor look you might normally expect. It's a real beauty. [...] Don't miss this one!"
Mondo Digital

Bikey

#11 Post by Bikey » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:31 am

"It is so pleasurable and I only wish there were dozens more, exactly like it, to indulge in for the rest of my days. Thanks so much to Second Run for releasing this on Region FREE Blu-ray and DVD for mass consumption. This should be a part of everyone's digital library. Our highest recommendation!"
Beaver