MoC Blu-ray/DVD Combos

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
ouatitw

Re: MoC Blu-ray/DVD Combos: Yay or Nay

#51 Post by ouatitw » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:23 am

yeah I don't see myself buying a disk which is a single layer DVD combined with a single layer bluray, seems to defeat the purpose of both.

kekid

#52 Post by kekid » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:42 pm

If you can play the Blu Ray, the SD will be redundant. If you cannot play the Blu Ray, it will be redundant.
Thus the proposition is of interest only to those who cannot play the Blu Ray now, but expect to do so in the future. In absence of a hybrid, they wind up buying the SD now and the Blu Ray later. The hybrid will subsidize their indecision.

The proposition would have made more sense if many Blu Rays were region-locked, they could not be played in other regions, but there was an expectation that region-free Blu Ray players will come about in near future. However, now that a region-free Momitsu (and perhaps other options) already exists, I do not think a hybrid makes sense.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#53 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:35 am

kekid wrote:Thus the proposition is of interest only to those who cannot play the Blu Ray now, but expect to do so in the future.
That's the whole point. You buy the combo, use the DVD until you upgrade, then use the BR. But it's cheaper than buying the DVD for £12 and, once you upgraded, buy the BR for £15.

And, imo, as at some point, we will all have to upgrade, we'd better start saving money right now, no ?

Grenasse

#54 Post by Grenasse » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:52 am

HerrSchreck wrote:Count me as another voice against bundling them together-- keep em separate. Never force the buyer-- especially in tight times like these-- to pay for something that is an extra product which he doesn't want to buy, no matter how discounted.

My wooden nickel.
Exactly what my heart feels about it. But I wish it could be so easy to judge. I will try to explain it from my point of view (meaning also the point of view by people who live in my country - I assume there aren't many who buy MoC releases but I hope the numbers will grow asap.) Lately that's been a pain in my ass - thinking about which format I should go for and if I should start to think about upgrading, when I should do this?

Since years I've been wondering what I will do when the next video-transfer format will knock to our homes. The question is also for how long Blurays will be hiting the spot...I hope as many of us that for at least as much as dvds... Presently you can't be sure about it, since every month technological progress has been chasing like a Road Runner.

I'm glad such a thread exists and I kinda backward but still can add my two cents. For me, the main and most general question was if I can afford every release I dream about (especially flicks like old classics and every-kind of silent cinema) in a good copy. For me good means at least watchable. Since years I've been watching as you all plenty of different copies and I awalys felt happy about watching film in a good copy which allows me to see the main purposes assumed by creators of the opus.

As a modest guy from the eastern Europe I need to count every pennie since I loose even if at currency converter. So for falks like me it is a matter to not give every extra cost to things I don't really need for now. I know there are plenty of sources where I can get used releases but it isn't so simple in my country either. Amazon Marketplaces doesn't operate in my country so I need to focus on ebay or just the new releases from amazon and all other e-shops. Which I do as much as I can. But still. I don't see a possibility for now for me to buy combos from any great labels such a MoC or Criterion. To be honest at least for now (and I'm saying this as someone who had plenty of occasions to get deep into a Blurays or HD/DVD format releases) I don't see a reason to exchange them or even buy a new ones.

On the other hand, I unfortunaly know it's just a matter of time like Tenia says, that we will be pushed to buy Blurays anyway, cause I'm afraid the DVD time will be passing away. I assume it won't hit the ground like VHS, it will be more like vinyl "issue". Still, there is a question what will become with the whole industry, I mean vinyls are still produced, thousands of them and there are plenty of milions guys who still buy them and won't stop for sure I guess (I am one of them and will be for sure). With DVDs I'm afraid much more. I hope it won't be stopped generally just it will be reduced to some decent level. As much as I can read here, there is a chance that DVDs from all of those high-rated Labels will pass away. I'm thrilled...

Don't get me wrong - 'the show must go on' and I know one need to focus on the future. Still, I feel this kind of repugnance if you know what I mean. It's all great, this opportunity to enjoy all this stuff but on the other hand, it's a reason to think it's like a chasing your own shadow. It will never end...

I find it very annoying from time to time and from what I've learned and read during years of educating myself I just try to focus on essence of the remittance. I know must of us do. I adore the quality of Blurays and high-definitions systems but we live in tough times, when unfortunately, the form too often overtakes juice. This occurrence takes too much time on debates and so forth. It's like the first plan in films, it's imporant but... For me the quality of most dvds released by favourites Labels are - to say it softly - great. I know Blurays are better. Surround sound is also better meaning sound effects but for example I don't see a reason to put this into music clubs (like lately it's been doing in some places), saying that it gives much more deeper feeling then stereo - what a bullshit. Maybe for teenies, who get everything like a sponges without a thougth and experience. For me it just doesn't need an upgrade for now unless someone is going to create much more bigger step forward. The same it seems for me with dvd releases, especially silent and b&w classics. But I relise that's only my point of view, many people will say - the better quality, the better fancy of the reality. Maybe...if you allow, I will stay with "worse" quality cause it's just still only a film, buch of pictures putting together and I feel I need to touch them not too directly (how I love those film reels noises...as much as they don't bother watching). Anyway...

My wote is no for now. Maybe in a year or two I'lll change my mind. Sometimes I feel bad that I can't buy every new release by MoC or Criterion but I just don't have enough money. There are plenty of dvds well worth to buy in my country and still I need to focus on MoC or other the most desired, so I feel like a kid in amusement park. I could pirate them...but that's not the way. Many people here (country) think in that way and I blame it. I use the way only to watch something I know I will buy anyway and just can't wait. Sorry for my english, I had a quite nice interval from using it.

MichaelB

#55 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:06 am

kekid wrote:If you can play the Blu Ray, the SD will be redundant. If you cannot play the Blu Ray, it will be redundant.
Not in my case. My Blu-ray viewing is currently highly restricted - I can only play them on the main family television, which the kids hog for most of the day, and my wife has largely sole use of for much of the evening: I usually have to wait for evenings when she goes out with friends to have more than an hour or so of Blu-ray viewing.

So while I obviously prefer the Blu-ray option for quality reasons, having a backup DVD is nonetheless very useful indeed, especially if I'm writing about a particular film to a deadline and need to check various things. Which is why I still hang onto timecoded DVD screeners of BFI Blu-ray releases - and even access them more frequently in some cases, so they're anything but redundant.

It's also very useful that Disney includes both a Blu-ray and DVD version in many of its releases - I let my kids have unrestricted access to the DVD (which is kept in a separate wallet), while keeping the Blu-ray locked away in a cupboard on a high shelf for special occasions when I'm around.

That said, I'm not convinced that a relatively small distributor should go that extra mile, as there's clearly a cost implication that's more serious for them than it would be for someone like Disney.

ivuernis

#56 Post by ivuernis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:56 am

What's the story with the MoC dual format releases? If I look on the website catalogue most of the blu-rays are shown in dual-format releases but if I go to a retailer like Amazon.co.uk and search for one of these releases, e.g. Profound Desire of the Gods, The World, etc., they only seem to be available in blu-ray only?

peerpee
not perpee

#57 Post by peerpee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:59 am

There was a massive fire at Sony DADC in early August (London riots / professional heist). Everything was destroyed. We're in the process of repressing almost everything, but in doing so we're convolving separate DVD and Blu-ray editions into new Dual Format editions.

htom

#58 Post by htom » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:59 am

peerpee wrote:There was a massive fire at Sony DADC in early August (London riots / professional heist). Everything was destroyed. We're in the process of repressing almost everything, but in doing so we're convolving separate DVD and Blu-ray editions into new Dual Format editions.
My own (and very late) two cents on this is, if it doesn't affect the packaging, as in making it larger or the two separate editions are radically different, then I don't have much of an issue with it. If going with a single inventory item meant that retailers had to stock a blu-ray when they'd rather not have, then once again, I'm fine with it. Price isn't a huge concern for me right now simply because these are not items I'm finding walking into a local retailer here in Montreal anway.

It does remind me of some years back when Sony's last real push for their hi-resolution audio SACD format over standard CD was to create a hybrid disc with layers for both types of encoding. This meant that the disc was essentially futureproofed as well (and, unlike video dual format, be contained in a viable physical item as well), though the format saw almost all the high profile releases of those days (Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, RCA Living Stereo, Mercury Living Presence) go out of print pretty quickly.

Nick, a useless aside, but my first reading of your post had a different meaning for "repressing" in my head. That one probably would have been my reaction, anyway. Second reaction to it was, "this language..."

MichaelB

#59 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:08 am

htom wrote:My own (and very late) two cents on this is, if it doesn't affect the packaging, as in making it larger or the two separate editions are radically different, then I don't have much of an issue with it.
I would imagine that in most (if not all) cases it would simply involve the original Blu-ray and DVD being packaged together in the same case. That's certainly true of the BFI reissues: they're only going to the expense of re-authoring in cases where the original was a two-disc package, as a four-disc dual-format release would obviously be unwieldy.

As for the physical size, the cases are slightly fatter than the originals, but we're talking millimetres. I actually prefer the slightly thicker spines of the dual-format cases - they stand out better on the shelves.
If going with a single inventory item meant that retailers had to stock a blu-ray when they'd rather not have, then once again, I'm fine with it.
There's also the huge advantage from the distributor's perspective that all sales will register as Blu-ray sales, thus creating the impression that there's more demand for Blu-ray than might actually be the case in reality. Which I suspect is why dual-format releases are on the increase.

Dick Laurent

#60 Post by Dick Laurent » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:11 am

To bad I have all the blu only editions, would love to have the new dual versions instead.

Some reasons why I like the dual's better :
- I like to loan films to other people, "Here, watch this,it's so good", "but I have no blu-ray player", conversation over, and those peple will never see the movie.
- A shallow reason, those blue cases are damn ugly.

And it's cheaper to release them together instead of two releases (double artwork, double stock,etc)

peerpee
not perpee

#61 Post by peerpee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:29 am

The Blu-ray only editions, like it or not, will almost certainly become more collectable. So hold on to them! (or wait, and flog them, to get the DFs!)

eerik

#62 Post by eerik » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:59 pm

My precious!!!

Hail_Cesar

#63 Post by Hail_Cesar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:54 pm

Will The World be Blu only or OOP?

AlexHansen

#64 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 pm

The image on the MoC site has it as a dual format.

Hail_Cesar

#65 Post by Hail_Cesar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:10 pm

Oh I thought it was the one with a blu case... I meant Soul power then...

peerpee
not perpee

#66 Post by peerpee » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 am

Not sure what's going on with SOUL POWER at the moment. It's not on the immediate list to be Dual Formatted. We'll probably make a decision in a few months.

HJackson

#67 Post by HJackson » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 am

peerpee wrote:Not sure what's going on with SOUL POWER at the moment. It's not on the immediate list to be Dual Formatted. We'll probably make a decision in a few months.
Will you be repressing it as a Bluray in the meantime?

peerpee
not perpee

#68 Post by peerpee » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:42 am

As far as I know - no. We'll be doing nothing with SOUL POWER for the time being.

djvaso

#69 Post by djvaso » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:47 am

My only concern here is that Dual Format editions will lose thick booklets due to space limitation.

peerpee
not perpee

#70 Post by peerpee » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:51 am

BD booklets are currently restricted to 56-pages. The DF case is slightly thicker and the page restriction on DF booklets is also 56-pages. There won't be any "booklet loss" from the BD editions to the DF editions.

Nobby

#71 Post by Nobby » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:52 am

Slight offtopic: what kind of case will be used for Touch of Evil - standard blue (like in Une Femme Mariee) or white (like in Dual Editions)?

I'd really love to see distributors abandoning these ugly blue cases for white, transparent PS3 ones.

peerpee
not perpee

#72 Post by peerpee » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:36 am

We're not using those blue cases anymore.

TMDaines

#73 Post by TMDaines » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:01 am

peerpee wrote:BD booklets are currently restricted to 56-pages. The DF case is slightly thicker and the page restriction on DF booklets is also 56-pages. There won't be any "booklet loss" from the BD editions to the DF editions.
What about UNE FEMME MARIEE? That's an 80 page booklet, isn't it?

peerpee
not perpee

#74 Post by peerpee » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:09 am

Yes - it's 80-pages, but it used thinner than normal paper and was perfectly bound, so it was the same thickness as a stapled 56-page booklet on normal paper.

The 80-page UNE FEMME MARIEE BD booklet fit inside the old blue BD case, so it will fit inside the (thicker) new DF case no problem.

We don't want to make a habit of using the thinner paper and the more costly (and fiddly from a design perspective) perfectly-bound booklets.

ImportFanatic

#75 Post by ImportFanatic » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 pm

When are more dual format releases going to become available to order? I have both Sunrise and City Girl now. I want to get the rest of the BD catalog as such.