MoC Facebook & Twitter

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
John Edmond

Re: MoC Facebook & Twitter

#376 Post by John Edmond » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Ditto what everybody else said, particularly this:
Jeff wrote:I hope whatever adventures that you are off to next, Nick, you will continue to be a contributor around here as well. Best of luck to you in whatever the future holds!
Thanks for the past and good luck for the future.

Yakushima

#377 Post by Yakushima » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:41 pm

Nick, I am very sad to see you leave MOC, thank you and your team for your superb work and all the wonderful releases over the years (my favorites been the DVDs of Rene Laloux films). Best of luck with your next endeavor!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#378 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 am

Best wishes, Nick!

Dick Laurent

#379 Post by Dick Laurent » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:22 am

Sad news indeed.
To bad you won't be producing the upcomming Passion de Jeanne D'arc, I can imagine this was one of the titles that was on your wishlist for a long time.
Thanks for all the great work !

Good luck in your future endeavours !

eerik

#380 Post by eerik » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:08 am

Facebook wrote:Eureka Entertainment announced today that the Founder and Director of its Masters of Cinema Series, Nick Wrigley will be stepping down from the company at the end of May.

Managing Director of Eureka Entertainment, Ron Benson stated “I would like to thank Nick and express what a pleasure it has been to work with him over the past 8 years. However I wish to reassure everyone that Masters of Cinema will continue as before. Our remaining dedicated team will be providing the same high standards into the future, meeting and exceeding expectations as we have done in past”

The announcement of Eureka’s forthcoming releases for July, August and September are set to be announced in early May, including classic and world cinema titles using the finest available materials for home viewing.

Mizoguchi's intensely poetic tragedy Ugetsu Monogatari and his deeply affecting classic Sansho Dayu will be released on Monday 23 April 2012 alongside Alfred Hitchcock's Lifeboat. All titles will be released in dual format editions (Blu-ray & DVD).

Background info:

The Masters of Cinema organisation was founded in 2001. The four co-founders of Masters of Cinema were spread around the world (Canada, USA, and the UK) and together they contributed to the popular website mastersofcinema.org—a touchstone for the worldwide cinephile community. In early 2004, Masters of Cinema began collaborating with Eureka on The Masters of Cinema Series and in late 2008 Eureka consolidated their investment in the Series by acquiring the Masters of Cinema organisation outright. The Masters of Cinema Series is now a wholly owned Eureka.

Eureka Entertainment is the leading independent distributor of classic silent/early films in the UK. The company was responsible for bringing to market the fully restored, remastered, and most comprehensive version of the Fritz Lang classic Metropolis (1927).

Eureka Entertainment Ltd. is independently owned and has been involved in film distribution since 1981, celebrating 25 years in the business in 2006. Most recently Eureka have worked with Celluloid Dreams (France); Gaumont (France); The Criterion Collection/Janus Films (USA); Shochiku (Japan); Toho (Japan); Nikkatsu (Japan); Inray Films (India); Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation (USA); BBC Worldwide (UK); Murnau-Stiftung & Transit Film (Germany); Surf Films (Italy); Intramovies (Italy); Beta Film (Germany); and Lobster Films (France).

Ozu Teapot

#381 Post by Ozu Teapot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:37 am

I just wanted to echo all the thanks and good wishes to Nick that others have posted here.

I must admit I was a bit panicked late last night when I first read he was leaving. That same feeling you get when you hear a founding member of your favourite band is quitting - like it's the beginning of the end for them or that things will never be the same! I've calmed down now following all the reassuring posts, tweets, etc from Nick and the other Moc/Eureka-ers!

MichaelB

#382 Post by MichaelB » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:47 am

Les Yeux Sans Visage wrote:I must admit I was a bit panicked late last night when I first read he was leaving. That same feeling you get when you hear a founding member of your favourite band is quitting - like it's the beginning of the end for them or that things will never be the same! I've calmed down now following all the reassuring posts, tweets, etc from Nick and the other Moc/Eureka-ers!
That's why I immediately stressed that MoC wasn't a one-man show - it wasn't any kind of attempt to play down Nick's colossal contribution, more a reassurance that there's no reason to worry. As Nick pointed out in much more detail, the rest of the team has also been there for years (and apologies for missing out Andrew!).

In fact, I've just worked out that the present BFI DVD Publishing team is almost entirely different from the setup five years ago - none of the producers I worked alongside in 2006-7 is still in the same job today, and only one of the present full-time producers was working in the department back then in a more junior role. In fact, the man formerly responsible for many of the best BFI transfers is freelancing for MoC and Arrow these days.

If a brand's strong enough - and MoC certainly is - it can survive the departure of even an indisputably major figure.

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#383 Post by Caligula » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:55 am

From a long-time serial lurker:

Thanks for really adding something to my existence. Whether it's the long discussions that my wife and I had after our viewing sessions with Shoah, or the enjoyment my boys (and myself) derived from the Buster Keaton shorts, the enriching books (the term booklets seem like an insult), with what you've done you've made this world a slightly better place to inhabit.

Best wishes with your future endeavours, and hope to be reading your posts in these quarters for a long time still.

ellipsis7

#384 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks indeed, Nick, not least for TONI & the Antonionis... Every best wish for the future...

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#385 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:45 am

Waving a hanky and dabbing my eye. Who's gonna do all the spiky put downs now chez MoC?

Felix

#386 Post by Felix » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:00 am

Best wishes and it would be nice to see the old Masters Of Cinema site up and running again, it was very, very good. A lot of people here will have come to movies after it faded away so here is a little reminder for them from a bookmark I found and which makes interesting reading for anybody. December 2003 it was.

(Deleted, due to possible Trojan associated with it, unfortunately, as it was a good look to see how things have changed, and how they haven't)
Last edited by Felix on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sloper

#387 Post by Sloper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:26 am

Sorry to hear you're leaving Nick - thanks for doing such a wonderful job on what must be just about the best DVD label out there. Michael is by far my most treasured DVD, or maybe possession full stop.

Forrest Taft

#388 Post by Forrest Taft » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Best wishes Nick! Love your work, and it's been great to able to communicate wih you directly via this site. I will keep on buying MoC discs of course...

effigy105

#389 Post by effigy105 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Just another voice in the choir. Thanks for everything Nick. You and your cohorts have cost me a lot of money over the past few years and I've never properly taken the time to thank you.

Michael was the first MoC title I purchased. I ended up reading a good chunk of the accompanying booklet before I ever got around to the film, in no small part because the art design represented a whole new level of quality compared to other labels (Criterion included).

Once upon a time I emailed you about acquiring some replacement DVD cases. I sent the email off around 10 pm on a Sunday night and you replied in about ten minutes. I received the cases in less time than Amazon often take to just package stuff up. So I'm guessing maybe this move will grant you some well deserved rest :)

All the best in your future endeavours, whatever they may be. And thanks again.

matrixschmatrix

#390 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:41 pm

It almost seems reductive to talk about any one MoC release in Nick's tenure as a great one, as there are dozens I'd be pretty upset to part with- Michael, yes, but also the Mabuse box, City Girl, Sunrise, and Tabu, the commentary on the already fantastic Metropolis package, and all the stuff you can't buy in any form in the us (Couer Fidele, all the Franju, La Silence de la Mer), and all in editions that rival or beat Kino and Criterion's standards. That's pretty damn amazing for such a small company, and speaks well of Nick's taste and dedication (not to mention that of his coworkers and Eureka.)

I still don't know how you guys got the del Toro commentary on Vampyr though, that's just awesome.

exidor

#391 Post by exidor » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Felix wrote:A lot of people here will have come to movies after it faded away so here is a little reminder for them from a bookmark I found and which makes interesting reading for anybody. December 2003 it was.

[redacted]
Just a word of warning - that page seems fine but the homepage has been compromised and it tries drops a trojan inserter when you load it.

Oh, and my thanks to Nick too. I've discovered a lot of new stuff through MOC over the last couple of years and all that hard work is much appreciated.
Last edited by exidor on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#392 Post by Drucker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:09 pm

I'm seething with jealousy at all those of you who own a copy of Michael! As long as I've wanted it, it has been out of print :-(

matrixschmatrix

#393 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:20 pm

I bit the bullet and bought an out of print copy after talking the seller down to $45. Totally worth it.

Felix

#394 Post by Felix » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:47 pm

exidor wrote:
Felix wrote:A lot of people here will have come to movies after it faded away so here is a little reminder for them from a bookmark I found and which makes interesting reading for anybody. December 2003 it was.

Just a word of warning - that page seems fine but the homepage has been compromised and it tries drops a trojan inserter when you load it.

Oh, and my thanks to Nick too. I've discovered a lot of new stuff through MOC over the last couple of years and all that hard work is much appreciated.
Oops, sorry about that, I never went futher than that page. I'll delete the link and maybe you should do the same just in case.

TMDaines

#395 Post by TMDaines » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Despite the statements to the contrary, I really hope this doesn't turn out to be the beginning of the end for MoC. Thanks for all of your excellent work and let's hope we don't notice your absence!

artfilmfan

#396 Post by artfilmfan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Best of Luck, peerpee !

Thanks for the great work at MoC and the wonderful releases, especially the beautiful Naruse box set.

HJackson

#397 Post by HJackson » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for everything, Nick. Without your work I'd never have fallen in love with Imamura or Murnau, and I'm sure you've helped connect a great many people to a great deal of wonderful art. Best wishes for the future.

Tommaso

#398 Post by Tommaso » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Thanks a lot, Nick, for all your great work in the past years, and especially for your regular posts here. They surely helped to create a fanbase for MoC and made people understand some decisions even if they didn't like them particularly (for example the short period of Blu only releases). Good luck for whatever you're up to now!
domino harvey wrote:Nick, I wish your new job was telling American labels how to do this sort of thing right
Right! Send him over to Criterion to tell them how to switch off the blackness boost and release some more interesting films in the future! :D

peerpee
not perpee

#399 Post by peerpee » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Thank you so much everybody for these wonderful comments! It really has been an eye-opening ride and as much a thrill for me - being able to realise projects from initial desire to holding it in my hand months later was a peculiar treat, and I'm very happy that the editions have been loved by so many! It will be really interesting watching the MoC team building on what's gone before - and an entirely different peculiar thrill no doubt!

Thanks again!

btw. I'm having a clear-out and looking for swaps. I'll also be giving away some super-rare MoC memorabilia and OOPs too! (for which you'll need to be able to take and tweet photos quickly... and own the items that require photographing, but more will become clear soon!)

You'll have to be on Twitter, and folllow my personal account @shittydeath in order to see what I'm on about. Thanks!

Mozart

#400 Post by Mozart » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Congratulations for all your achievements with MoC! (i.e. making it one of the best, or the best label in the world)

And thanks for enlarging my mindset and for entertaining me with the products you produced.

Hopefully you will maintain your rate of posts here at the forum.
And secondly, for me you are the face of MoC. You personalized the DVDs and BRs I bought.
I wish MoC good luck, that they stay on top or that MoC is able to leverage your contribition to even higher highs.

All the best for your future Nick!