Fake MoC Covers

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Awesome Welles

Fake MoC Covers

#1 Post by Awesome Welles » Sat May 24, 2008 10:56 am

I just came across a mock cover I made a while back for Il Caso Mattei and thought I'd share it. I'm not the greatest designer and this was a quick affair in MS Paint so...

Last edited by Awesome Welles on Wed May 28, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

a.khan

#2 Post by a.khan » Sun May 25, 2008 1:29 am

Sir, you don't give yourself enough credit -- that's a fantastic cover. Nice job!

I guess, about time we have a Fake MoC Cover thread.

Awesome Welles

#3 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed May 28, 2008 10:57 am

Again.. in Paint. I must learn how to use Photoshop.

Cinephrenic

#4 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed May 28, 2008 1:39 pm

Is that a Cronenberg film? :lol:

Felix

#5 Post by Felix » Wed May 28, 2008 1:42 pm

a.khan wrote:Sir, you don't give yourself enough credit -- that's a fantastic cover. Nice job!

Agreed on both counts, well almost on the second count, perhaps an area for home made covers? Moderators?

I guess there are quite a few of us here who buy grey DVDs without covers and it would be good to have a resource for people who don't have the time or skills to do their own. I do all mine on Powerpoint so I doubt I could post them as single docs like these but perhaps in a separate area which would take attachments? (the other advantage of that is that people could then take them and modify them to suit themselves). I like doing it so much that I sometimes do my own covers for legitimate releases, Redemption DVDs in particular, and I am reckoning on the same for the French Von Sternbergs I have just ordered. In my case, sod MoC (in the nicest possible way), i have my very own DVD label, albeit very much in the MoC/Kino format.

Recent additions to my "label" are a series of Fritz Lang In America, Murnau's Die Gang In Die Nacht, Haunted Castle, and Die Brennende Acker, and Ozep's Living Corpse.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#6 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed May 28, 2008 1:48 pm

Felix wrote:
a.khan wrote:Sir, you don't give yourself enough credit -- that's a fantastic cover. Nice job!

Agreed on both counts, well almost on the second count, perhaps an area for home made covers? Moderators?

I guess there are quite a few of us here who buy grey DVDs without covers and it would be good to have a resource for people who don't have the time or skills to do their own. I do all mine on Powerpoint so I doubt I could post them as single docs like these but perhaps in a separate area which would take attachments? (the other advantage of that is that people could then take them and modify them to suit themselves). I like doing it so much that I sometimes do my own covers for legitimate releases, Redemption DVDs in particular, and I am reckoning on the same for the French Von Sternbergs I have just ordered. In my case, sod MoC (in the nicest possible way), i have my very own DVD label, albeit very much in the MoC/Kino format.

Recent additions to my "label" are a series of Fritz Lang In America, Murnau's Die Gang In Die Nacht, Haunted Castle, and Die Brennende Acker, and Ozep's Living Corpse.
Don't be bashful Felix. Get your Murnaus out fer the boys!

Awesome Welles

#7 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed May 28, 2008 2:59 pm

Felix wrote:...well almost on the second count...
I made it in my lunch break I was just experimenting and when I was finished I thought it looked ok. I too am a little unsure on it now.
Felix wrote:i have my very own DVD label
I'm with you on this one, I find it annoying that when I follow a strand, say started by a legitimate release and then I want to pursue that directors work further (recently Imamura and Oshima) I can't so I have to resort to bootlegs, and why not house them in nice covers? That said I haven't gotten round to designing any (expect housing my BoYing Kurosawa's in mock BFI cases). I must say however that I always replace bootlegs with official releases when they become available.

Badering

#8 Post by Badering » Wed May 28, 2008 3:36 pm

Alright for others to post covers too? I'll throw in something I just did.

:)

Felix

#9 Post by Felix » Wed May 28, 2008 4:14 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote: Don't be bashful Felix. Get your Murnaus out fer the boys!
Well, I would quite happily but I don't know how to. Because they are comprised of multiple items on each cover I don't think I could copy and paste but if anyone has any ideas...
FSimeoni wrote:
Felix wrote:...well almost on the second count...
I made it in my lunch break I was just experimenting and when I was finished I thought it looked ok. I too am a little unsure on it now.
Felix wrote:i have my very own DVD label
I'm with you on this one, I find it annoying that when I follow a strand, say started by a legitimate release and then I want to pursue that directors work further (recently Imamura and Oshima) I can't so I have to resort to bootlegs, and why not house them in nice covers? That said I haven't gotten round to designing any (expect housing my BoYing Kurosawa's in mock BFI cases). I must say however that I always replace bootlegs with official releases when they become available.
No,no, when I said on the second count I meant on the fake MoC covers, not on the quality of your cover which I think is very high, ditto Badering's one. These are far more professional and polished than mine.

The point about the ones I do is that I think anyone could do the same very easily. I am using basic Office tools, nothing fancy, and finding original posters from online, film reviews or articles ditto, and screenshots from online or my own DVD.

I would like to say I replace every boot with legit releases and I do if I have enjoyed them (any of the ones I mentioned would be automatic) but some just haven't hit the mark for me. But I do think that providing one's intentions are honourable and one is buying an honourable quantity of legit releases as well, and I am very often buying 20 per month, then it is justifiable to buy a few where they are not otherwise available. Hello. Napoleon... It is a bit like second hand DVDs (I think) But we have hauled this one over the coals so many times...

I have replaced boots with legit releases and kept my boot covers for them though, and all my Redemption ones are legit.

Anhedionisiac
the Displeasure Principle

#10 Post by Anhedionisiac » Wed May 28, 2008 4:26 pm

Badering wrote:Image
Perfect by me

jules

#11 Post by jules » Wed May 28, 2008 4:28 pm

Wow, that cover for a gentle woman is fantastic! Great job! =D>

Cinephrenic

#12 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed May 28, 2008 4:37 pm

Looks like a Magritte painting. Nice job!

Felix

#13 Post by Felix » Wed May 28, 2008 4:37 pm

jules wrote:Wow, that cover for a gentle woman is fantastic! Great job!
Yup, and if I had the film I'd be copying and pasting this for my cover right now.

justeleblanc

#14 Post by justeleblanc » Wed May 28, 2008 4:41 pm

That looks amazing! :shock:

Badering

#15 Post by Badering » Wed May 28, 2008 4:44 pm

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback guys :) Appreciate it!

sidehacker

#16 Post by sidehacker » Wed May 28, 2008 4:59 pm

Excuse #1: I was really bored.
Excuse #2: I did this really fast.

Felix

#17 Post by Felix » Wed May 28, 2008 5:03 pm

sidehacker wrote:Excuse #1: I was really bored.
Excuse #2: I did this really fast.
Ahem. The more I see, the more pleased I am that I can't post mine... Mind you, mine are complete covers, with spine and reviews and and caps and details so there's your next challenge guys. :)

Steven H

#18 Post by Steven H » Wed May 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Badering wrote:Alright for others to post covers too? I'll throw in something I just did.
If that was official, it would be the best looking Bresson DVD cover on the market by a long shot.

Awesome Welles

#19 Post by Awesome Welles » Wed May 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Badering wrote:Image
Holy shit that is fucking excellent. I don't think I'll be posting so soon here again. Really impressed. For a second I thought you had the wrong forum and this was a legit release! I would personally amend the font but otherwise faultless.

Kinsayder

#20 Post by Kinsayder » Wed May 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Yes, really good. But I think MoC would use the original title, or at least include it on the cover.

HerrSchreck

#21 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu May 29, 2008 12:58 am

FSimeoni wrote:Image

Again.. in Paint. I must learn how to use Photoshop.
So the restroom for insects is on the left, and the one for women is on the right.

Is this a space station comfort area? Or merely the sign taken from the rest trailer for the extras on the set of Deliverance?

David Locke

#22 Post by David Locke » Thu May 29, 2008 5:09 am

Granted, the cover for A gentle Woman is fantastic. But so was the original Czech poster art for this film... :wink:

Awesome Welles

#23 Post by Awesome Welles » Thu May 29, 2008 5:27 am

HerrSchreck wrote:So the restroom for insects is on the left, and the one for women is on the right.

Is this a space station comfort area? Or merely the sign taken from the rest trailer for the extras on the set of Deliverance?
Ah, gimme a break. It was my first cover made up of something that isn't someone else's poster, made in my lunch break. I will revisit this cover soon, tell me what you think of it then.

Badering

#24 Post by Badering » Thu May 29, 2008 6:08 am

David Locke wrote:Granted, the cover for A gentle Woman is fantastic. But so was the original Czech poster art for this film.
Heh, yeah. I immediately fell in love with that poster :)

Kinsayder

#25 Post by Kinsayder » Thu May 29, 2008 6:43 am

Image Image Image