What MoC's have sold best/worst?

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Calvin

Re: What MoC's have sold best/worst?

#76 Post by Calvin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Obviously, the Amazon rankings are extremely volatile (they've changed quite dramatically from just this morning) but it's not surprising to see what titles are selling well. Silent Running - a pretty popular cult sci-fi and a release that was advertised on Kermode's podcast. The Pasolinis are recent releases and, in the case of Gospel, it will probably have had a boost from Easter sales. I think I remember Sunrise and City Girl being mentioned on Film 2012 a few months ago, plus they're relatively well known silent films. It's surprising to see Metropolis (apparently) doing poorly but I'd guess it sold well and tailed off. I can't think of an explanation for the poor sales of Two-Lane Blacktop.

doc mccoy

#77 Post by doc mccoy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Vampyr is doing very well considering the length of time it has been out (7,891). I'm also glad to see that the Late Mizoguchi box is not doing that badly (9,775) - it's certainly better than poor old ozu silent comedies (28,992).

jamie_atp

#78 Post by jamie_atp » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:26 pm

I also would have thought the combined james taylor / dennis wilson / 70s US cinema cult would have made it do better...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#79 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:32 pm

TLB sales were probably hurt by domino constantly posting "Who would ever want to see Laurie Bird on Blu-ray?"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#80 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:44 pm

I don't think you read my post right if you think I didn't/don't

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#81 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Sarcasm always translates well over the internet.

Der Spieler

#82 Post by Der Spieler » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:44 pm

What the fuck is the internet?

GaryC

#83 Post by GaryC » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 pm

jamie_atp wrote:I also would have thought the combined james taylor / dennis wilson / 70s US cinema cult would have made it do better...
I'm not sure that Blacktop has all that much of a cult following in the UK. Although I've seen it in 35mm (at the NFT during their mid-90s Hellman retrospective) it certainly wasn't a repertory regular as far as I can remember. And it hadn't been commercially available in the UK since its cinema release - though I release that music rights issues had a lot to do with that. And I don't think it's been on TV since its disastrous pan-and-scan screening in the BBC Film Club slot in 1988. (Philip French introduced it, and mentioned how Hellman made use of the sides of the frame - which for the most part we couldn't see, rendering the film not just unwatchable but incomprehensible.)

Also, many people who are interested in the film might well have either the original Anchor Bay DVD release (which I bought) and the later Criterion release (which I received as a review copy). Many of MoC's extras are shared with the Criterion, plus the commentary from the Anchor Bay. Okay, it's a Blu-ray when the earlier editions are DVDs, but I don't have Blu-ray yet.

Calvin

#84 Post by Calvin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:17 am

matrixschmatrix

#85 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:20 am

Interesting that two of the titles on there are blu-only. Also, it's really weird to see A Touch of Evil, it makes it sound like a bad horror movie.

neilist

#86 Post by neilist » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:46 am

I'm quite shocked to see 'Grey Gardens' on there, especially since MoC's other title from the Maysles, 'Salesman', seems to have been deemed unworthy of a repress since going out of print some time ago. Maybe MoC would repress that if got a Drew Barrymore Hollywood interpretation too...

vsski

#87 Post by vsski » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:51 am

It never continues to amaze me how strong the sci-fi / horror / ghost film following is since DVDs first appeared - and even a label like MoC seems not to be much different. Of the ten titles mentioned all except Sunrise and Touch of Evil basically fall into this category (and yes for me Grey Gardens is a horror movie :wink: ).

Zot!

#88 Post by Zot! » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:45 am

neilist wrote:I'm quite shocked to see 'Grey Gardens' on there, especially since MoC's other title from the Maysles, 'Salesman', seems to have been deemed unworthy of a repress since going out of print some time ago. Maybe MoC would repress that if got a Drew Barrymore Hollywood interpretation too...
Grey Gardens is popular because of the subject matter. There is some kind of hipster obsession with the eccentric ladies.

hearthesilence

#89 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 am

Grey Gardens has a bigger reach beyond the Maysles' usual audience. It's not the Stones in Gimme Shelter, but think about the Broadway production and the HBO TV movie with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange, those alone show you the bigger market for that title.

eerik

#90 Post by eerik » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:57 am

It looks like a TOP10 of someones favourite MoC releases and not an actual list of their best selling titles. Or did I miss something?

Also has some (other) factual errors, e.g. Sunrise was not MoC's first release on DVD nor Blu-ray.
Last edited by eerik on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Calvin

#91 Post by Calvin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 am

eerik wrote:It looks like a TOP10 of someones favourite MoC releases and not an actual list of their best selling titles. Or did I miss something?
Eureka posted the link on Facebook stating that the list is of the top 10 best selling MoC titles.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#92 Post by Drucker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:18 am

eerik wrote:It looks like a TOP10 of someones favourite MoC releases and not an actual list of their best selling titles. Or did I miss something?

Also has some (other) factual errors, e.g. Sunrise was not MoC's first release on DVD nor Blu-ray.
Actually I think it's pretty consistent. A mixture of chic 60s/70s films, silent films, and less renowned horror-buff films. Certainly the latter two are finding something with MOC they aren't getting anywhere else to the same quality...right? The only silents I don't own from MoC are Iron Horse and Metropolis (which I have the US editions of) and Mabuse das Gambler. I certainly make a point of buying every silent they release, and surely there are others who do the same.

zedz

#93 Post by zedz » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:44 pm

neilist wrote:I'm quite shocked to see 'Grey Gardens' on there, especially since MoC's other title from the Maysles, 'Salesman', seems to have been deemed unworthy of a repress since going out of print some time ago. Maybe MoC would repress that if got a Drew Barrymore Hollywood interpretation too...
Do you not know any gay men? The Grey Gardens cult is vast.

RossyG

#94 Post by RossyG » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Three silents in the top three? That's a surprise, and not an unpleasant one.

Nice to see La Planete Sauvage high on the list. Shame Les Maitres du Temps was regarded as a disappointment sales-wise.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#95 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:50 pm

zedz wrote:
Do you not know any gay men? The Grey Gardens cult is vast.
I have never personally met a woman involved in any art form that doesn't say Grey Gardens is in their top 10.

bdlover

#96 Post by bdlover » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:40 am

Wow, the number of silents is quite surprising. Having said this, Metropolis, Nosferatu and Sunrise are probably three of the most obviously "canonical" titles in the entire MoC catalogue - although by that logic Ugetsu, Sansho and The Gospel According to Matthew should be up there too. Also surprised that none of their cult 70s-80s titles made the grade (Rumble Fish, Repo Man, Two Lane Blacktop).