Non-MoC Eureka Titles

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
L.A.

Re: Non-MoC Eureka titles

#301 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:57 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:18 am
June title is up on Amazon...Last Hurrah for Civalry & Hand of Death: Two films from John Woo
DVD Compare.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#302 Post by swo17 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:55 pm

Most of these non-MoC titles seem to have booklets but I've noticed that my copies of Marty and The Party don't. Does anyone know if either of these titles once had a booklet, or if Eureka has ever publically said that they're going the Arrow/BFI route of only including booklets in first pressings?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#303 Post by tenia » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:46 pm

I seem to recall The Party never had a booklet.

rapta

#304 Post by rapta » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:27 pm

swo17 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:55 pm
Most of these non-MoC titles seem to have booklets but I've noticed that my copies of Marty and The Party don't. Does anyone know if either of these titles once had a booklet, or if Eureka has ever publically said that they're going the Arrow/BFI route of only including booklets in first pressings?
Eureka Classics titles sometimes don't come with a booklet at all, and other times do but they are 'first pressing only' (as with Arrow, BFI). You can usually find out from the product listing on their site, or at least the initial announcement/press release.

Taking a quick look at my own collection, Marty didn't ever have a booklet, and neither did The Entity, The Party, Breakheart Pass and The Defiant Ones. However, titles that do include the booklet (at least on the first pressing) include The Vikings, Inherit the Wind, Iron Monkey, Flesh + Blood, Monkey Shines, Night of the Creeps, Picnic, and The Song of Bernadette.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#305 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:18 pm

Ribs

#306 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:31 pm

I imagine it’s being collapsed down into a standard Amaray release like Police Story

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#307 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:46 pm

It's already two standard Amarays in a hardbox, though advertised as a limited edition, so there probably will be a scaled-down reissue

Ribs

#308 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:59 pm

Yes, into a single Amaray, like Police Story.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#309 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Got it, makes sense

rapta

#310 Post by rapta » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:40 pm

Ribs wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:31 pm
I imagine it’s being collapsed down into a standard Amaray release like Police Story
Yes, and minus booklet content of course.

rockysds

#311 Post by rockysds » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:27 am

Operation Petticoat, What's New Pussycat? and Ironweed in December per Amazon.

FrauBlucher

#312 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Eureka/Masters of Cinema was always a label that I looked forward to their announcements every month. It was always interesting and often down right exciting. That feeling is becoming more and more few and far between. Golem will be the only release that’s on my radar. For their sake it’s a good thing they have a solid relationship with the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Foundation, otherwise they would be a non factor. It’s a shame.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#313 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:43 am

I usually feel the same : it has changed over the years.
Still, this year alone, they brought us Human Desire, Shoah - The Four sisters, Wheels on Meals, Irma la douce, The White Rheindeer, The Song of Bernadette, One Two Three, November, The Woman in the Window, The Holy Mountain, Last Hurrah for Chivalry + Hand of Death, Donbass, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Incident, The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith, High Noon (in a lavish release), 3 Sammo Hungs, The Fate of Lee Khan, Der Golem, and they'll finally release these 2 Fuller movies otherwise only avaiable at Twilight Time.
It's not that bad.

As for their relationship with the FWMF, I'd love to see an English-friendly release of The Loves of Jeanne Ney. Alpha-Omega also restored The Loves of Pharaoh, but their release is very expensive and hard to get.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#314 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:43 pm

January releases:

The Miracle Worker
Cujo (standard edition)
Project A & Project A Part II (standard edition)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#315 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:33 pm

Eureka Classics will be releasing a box set of the six Inner Sanctum movies, recently announced in the states by Mill Creek

L.A.

#316 Post by L.A. » Mon May 18, 2020 3:35 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#317 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:01 pm

976-EVIL, the Bride With White Hair, and Sleepwalkers coming from Eureka in October

What A Disgrace

#318 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:04 pm

Stephen King adaptations are a guilty pleasure for me (except Shawshank and Green Mile, two movies I sincerely dislike), and there's nothing guilty about my fondness for Eureka!'s Hong Kong releases, so, alright.

Mr Sloane

#319 Post by Mr Sloane » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:59 pm

I never would have thought in a month of Sundays that Eureka would be the label to bring 976-Evil to the UK! I know it's not well regarded, but I'm looking forward to revisiting it for the first time since it's original VHS release. Personally speaking I would love a Blu of the Jim 'Chopping Mall' Wynorski directed sequel which I find to be a lot of fun. Sadly, it's DVD releases to date all look pretty bad, much like Chopping Mall did until it finally got it's much needed Blu upgrade.

colinr0380

#320 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:49 am

Sleepwalkers also has that huge number of director cameos: John Landis, Joe Dante, Stephen King himself, Clive Barker and Tobe Hooper. Which probably makes sense since it is directed by Mick Garris! (I think this was also the start of Alice Krige's great run of villainous mother figures that went on to the Borg Queen in Star Trek: First Contact, the cult leader in Silent Hill, all the way up to Gretel & Hansel earlier this year!)

The Bride With White Hair is arguably Ronny Yu's most internationally famous film (with Wong Kar-wai stalwarts Brigitte Lin and Leslie Cheung!) and probably the one that eventually led him to getting the jobs of bringing a similar style to Bride of Chucky and Freddy Vs Jason. I hope that Bride With White Hair 2 might also turn up too, since Eureka have been great at bundling whole series of Hong King films together previous to this.

L.A.

#321 Post by L.A. » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:23 am

Exciting Update! The Full list of Special Features for our release of THE BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR can now be revealed!

Ronny Yu’s action-fantasy Wuxia classic, which is NOW set to be released on Blu-ray from a brand new 4K restoration as part of the Eureka Classics range on 9 November 2020 [New Date], featuring a Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase and Collector’s Booklet, will NOW include the following ADDITIONAL extras:

- Brand new interview with actor Joe Tay [21 mins]
- Brand new interview with screenwriter Jason Lam Kee To [56 mins]
- Brand new interview with composer Richard Yuen [24 mins]
- Brand new interview with editor David Wu [81 mins]

We can also confirm that this restoration has been NEWLY COLOUR-GRADED exclusively by Eureka Entertainment and OFFICIAL APPROVED BY RONNY YU.

Head to the Eureka Store for the Complete List of Special Features and to PRE-ORDER now https://bit.ly/3hMUbSV

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#322 Post by tenia » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:43 am

The details about the grading is interesting. IIRC, the new restoration as released in France was already approved by Yu, especially its grading.

Calvin

#323 Post by Calvin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:05 am

tenia wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:43 am
The details about the grading is interesting. IIRC, the new restoration as released in France was already approved by Yu, especially its grading.
A member on the Blu-Ray.com forums has managed to get the info:
1. According to Ronny, France/Spectrum presented him with the master but by then it's already at the release stage and also there was no visual reference to show Ronny how different the color scheme was from the HK theatrical print.

2. Eureka got a copy of the Tai Seng DVD, and the TS DVD master was taken directly off the HK theatrical print which of course preserved Peter Pau's color scheme. Eureka became concerned with how different the colors were between the TS DVD and the 4K master that they got from the distributor and checked with Frank who saw the film theatrically back in 1993. Frank confirmed that Ronny approved the TS DVD master when he recorded the audio commentary and presented Ronny with side-by-side comparisons and Ronny immediately noticed the difference. He gave the OK for Eureka to do the new color grading to match the colors on the TS DVD and gave his seal of approval upon seeing the final product.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#324 Post by tenia » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:25 am

Thanks for the link, though I already read the post in the meantime. Damn, another comparison I'll need to do !
It'll be interesting though, because the new 4K restoration did look a tad too modern to me, especially in how it was handling some colors, like blues and oranges. I asked Spectrum on Twitter if Yu "supervised or approved" their grading, and they simply said Yes, but it seems like a case in which the director wasn't given enough to properly do a proper check-up, and it makes sense to go back to it and adjust things more thoroughly.

L.A.

#325 Post by L.A. » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:32 pm

L.A. wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:23 am
Exciting Update! The Full list of Special Features for our release of THE BRIDE WITH WHITE HAIR can now be revealed!

Ronny Yu’s action-fantasy Wuxia classic, which is NOW set to be released on Blu-ray from a brand new 4K restoration as part of the Eureka Classics range on 9 November 2020 [New Date], featuring a Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase and Collector’s Booklet, will NOW include the following ADDITIONAL extras:

- Brand new interview with actor Joe Tay [21 mins]
- Brand new interview with screenwriter Jason Lam Kee To [56 mins]
- Brand new interview with composer Richard Yuen [24 mins]
- Brand new interview with editor David Wu [81 mins]

We can also confirm that this restoration has been NEWLY COLOUR-GRADED exclusively by Eureka Entertainment and OFFICIAL APPROVED BY RONNY YU.

Head to the Eureka Store for the Complete List of Special Features and to PRE-ORDER now https://bit.ly/3hMUbSV
DVD Compare.