MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3901 Post by tenia » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:55 am

The 4th release looks like it's a DVD boxset of Grange Hill's seasons 7 & 8.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3902 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:52 am

January 27th :
Cujo - 1-disc re-release (Classics)
The Miracle Worker (Arthur Penn) (Classics)
Cloak and Dagger (Fritz Lang) (MoC)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3903 Post by tenia » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:09 pm

Per Amazon :
Feb 10th : Bliss (Joe Begos' 2019 movie) (Montage)
Feb 17th : Son of the Sheik (MoC)
Feb 24th : Raining in the Mountain (MoC)
March 16th : Long Day's Journey Into Night (Lumet, not Bi Gan) (MoC)
March 16th : Syncopation (Dieterle) (Eureka Classics)
March 30th : Buster Keaton vol. 2 : The Navigator + Seven Chances + Battling Butler (MoC, LE boxset)
Last edited by tenia on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TMDaines

#3904 Post by TMDaines » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:29 pm

In for the silents for sure.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3905 Post by tenia » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Also :
Feb 17th : Sons of Denmark (Monage)
March 2nd : High Noon non-LE re-release
Last edited by tenia on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

therewillbeblus

#3906 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Another Keaton set, with Seven Chances restored, is the best announcement in a while.

I've often heard Raining in the Mountain regarded as Hu's best. Anyone seen it?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3907 Post by tenia » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:35 pm

Haven't seen the Hu, but the Seven Chances restoration is absolutely gorgeous. And, absolutely awfully dated racist trope aside, the movie is wonderful.

hearthesilence

#3908 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:45 pm

Extremely happy that they've finally gotten to more Keaton.

Also good news re: Lumet's film adaptation of Long Day's Journey into Night. Obviously a tremendous play - a cornerstone in American theater - and this is a keeper, the best version put to film, one of Hepburn's great performances (really the entire cast is outstanding) and for my money one of Lumet's very best works.

Finch

#3909 Post by Finch » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:03 pm

It's been years since I've seen Raining in the Mountains but I remember preferring it to A Touch of Zen at the time (which I've since come to appreciate a lot more) and to Legend of the Mountain (which I think is very good but not among his very best). I'd have to see it again but it was my favourite Hu alongside The Fate of Lee Khan (still to see The Valiant Ones).

Can anyone comment on Battling Butler?

What A Disgrace

#3910 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm really not minding that MoC is just releasing a lot of Olive Films titles, even if they're not going to bother putting any extras on bleedin' Operation Petticoat. A lot of really nice stuff got pretty shabby Olive Films treatment, which I was grateful for at the time because Blu-ray releases of older movies was still something of a novelty, but now I can look forward, hopefully, to Sands of the Kalahari, The Sun Shines Bright, and a few others getting somewhat more dignified treatment.

I hope the third volume of Keaton is a four film set, because we only have Three Ages, Go West, College and, frustratingly, Our Hospitality to go.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3911 Post by Drucker » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:10 pm

I picked up volumes two and three of the Cohen Keaton titles, so can happily say you're all welcome!

What A Disgrace

#3912 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:31 pm

I bought Kino's Scarlet Street recently, so I suspect we'll be getting it from MoC soon as well.

nitin

#3913 Post by nitin » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:36 pm

Definitely in for the Keaton set

Rupert Pupkin

#3914 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:01 am

is "Listen Up Philip" (combo DVD/Blu-Ray) definitely out of print ?

Grand Wazoo

#3915 Post by Grand Wazoo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:55 am

Found this on the Kung Fu Fandom forum:
Hey guys! :)

I'm currently working on Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain for Eureka.

All is going very well so far and the new scan looks incredible! :)

I was wondering if anyone knows if a classic English dub exists for the HK theatrical cut of the film.

I was told that the Tai Seng VHS says it has a English dub... does anyone have any information on that?

If anyone can help me please post or PM me. I would really appreciate it.

I hope everyone here enjoys the holidays and let me just say we have a ton of cool HK films coming in 2020 from both Eureka & 88 Films to look forward to!!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3916 Post by swo17 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:32 am

Thank goodness they're still working on it!

colinr0380

#3917 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:43 am

And more from Neo Magazine: Made In Hong Kong the 1997 breakthrough film from director Fruit Chan (probably better known though for the horror short Dumplings in the Three...Extremes horror anthology that got expanded out into a full feature) is coming out in "Spring", and the first Mr Vampire film is also getting released at some point "TBC".

I quite like the first Mr Vampire film, but I'd be really ecstatic if Mr Vampire 2 could get some love as well. That is an amazing film which instead of being an outright horror film (though the first is pretty comic too) instead is a kind of a broadly comic post E.T. children's film in which a young boy starts up a relationship with a hopping vampire of his own age! It is both a bit cheesy and rather touching at the same time, and the only thing I can think that is in similar territory is the central relationship in Guillermo del Toro's Cronos that came out a couple of years later. And I like that it completely drops the period horror angle for its very 1980s setting! (Tying it in with all the other contemporary set martial arts and action films coming out at the same time in some ways). I'm afraid that I have not seen any of the many sequels after that, but maybe a boxset? (Hint, Hint!)

rapta

#3918 Post by rapta » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:28 am

Interesting, did they mention Eureka in regards to the Fruit Chan film?

I was hoping we might see some MoC-level material from their Fortune Star dealings, particularly from John Woo, Johnnie To and Ringo Lam. Hope we get at least a few this year...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3919 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:31 am

Considering that most of these Classics releases have been much more loaded in terms of content than the utmost majority of their recent MoC releases, I honestly don't think it should matter if they're in the MoC series or the Classics one.

rapta

#3920 Post by rapta » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:14 pm

Confirmed elsewhere that Johnnie To's Throw Down is also coming this year. That'll almost certainly be for MoC, since there's already some To in there.
tenia wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:31 am
Considering that most of these Classics releases have been much more loaded in terms of content than the utmost majority of their recent MoC releases, I honestly don't think it should matter if they're in the MoC series or the Classics one.
I'm less interested in the branding and more interested in whether I could miss out on something (e.g. a booklet), should I fail to buy this within a particular window of time. I don't think the branding seems to matter how much effort they put into disc content - MoC's Cloak and Dagger has over 5 hours of radio plays on the disc; Eureka Classics' Operation Petticoat has no extras and no booklet; MoC's A Fistful of Dynamite has two presentations across two discs and plenty of extras; Eureka Classics' Cujo has endless interviews, and multiple versions of Police Story 1&2 in either edition of the set.

They tend to be assembling more content on releases they're likely to see a better return on - names like Jackie Chan, Stephen King, Fritz Lang and Sergio Leone will definitely reflect better sales. The main difference between MoC and Eureka Classics is the certainty there will be a booklet inside the box with the former, but there might not with the latter (and also there are only one or two cases where they failed to include any on-disc extras on an MoC release, whereas there are several barebones Eureka Classics titles).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3921 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:07 pm

rapta wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:14 pm
and also there are only one or two cases where they failed to include any on-disc extras on an MoC release, whereas there are several barebones Eureka Classics titles.
Actually, many MoC titles (including most of the recent Asian titles), while not bare-bones as-such, are extremely light in on-disc content, with often just 1 video extra and an audio commentary : Long Day’s Journey into Night, Raining in the Mountain, The Fate Of Lee Khan, The Woman in the Window, One, Two, Three, Irma la Douce, Shoah: The Four Sisters, Human Desire, Early Hou Hsiao-hsien, Legend of the Mountain, The Barefoot Contessa, The Mourning Forest, Der müde Tod, Harmonium, Daughter of the Nile, Two Rode Together, Creepy, Sweet Bean, Journey to the Shore, Dragon Inn.

It's however quite clear the "HK" Eureka Classics are aside in terms of extra features content anyway. The majority of them are beating pretty much any Eureka or MoC releases in terms of video content AND they also come with booklets. That's why, for these specific movies, I'm not sure it matters if they're in the Classics or the MoC line-ups.

But for sure, if booklets are something of definitive importance for you, the MoC releases have never been re-released without booklets indeed.

colinr0380

#3922 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:52 pm

rapta wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:28 am
Interesting, did they mention Eureka in regards to the Fruit Chan film?
Yes, its part of a rundown of upcoming releases in 2020, so lots of films with a note saying the label and when released (so for example they say "Arrow Films Release date: 24th Feb" for the One Missed Call Trilogy, or "Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Release Date 27th Jan" for the UK Criterion release of Sansho The Bailiff). For Mr Vampire, Zu Warriors, Throw Down, Raining In The Mountain and Made In Hong Kong they just say Eureka, so they make no distinction regarding the Masters of Cinema label or Eureka in general. Made In Hong Kong is labelled "Eureka Release Date: Spring".
___

In the rest of the upcoming UK release roundup article they also note that Artificial Eye is releasing WANG Xiaoshuai's film So Long My Son on 10th February (DVD only), Anime Limited has Hayao Miyazaki documentary Never-Ending Man "TBC" in February, and Takashi Miike's First Love is coming from 'Signature Entertainment' on 14th February (along with Bernard Roses's Samurai Marathon also from Signature, which is apparently 'released exclusively on digital platforms' And yes that is another collaboration with Philip Glass doing the score after Candyman! I can only hope this gets released on disc too at some point as it looks excellent from the trailer. Rose's regular actor Danny Huston is in there too as Commodore Perry!)

And since we are on the subject of Asian films, this is not mentioned in Neo Magazine but I recently got an e-mail from the Unearthed Films newsletter. It does not seem as if we have a thread for this US label, which has been operating under the radar for a few decades now. It is probably best not to approach any of the films that they put out casually as they put out some of the hardest of the hardcore gore films ever made (things like the Guinea Pig films and Black Sun: The Nanking Massacre), and this release is no different, but they have just announced that they will be releasing one of the most notorious of the Category III Hong Kong films, The Untold Story "soon", though nothing more precise than that. The film is a kind of serial killer crime thriller which became notorious with its scenes of (mostly accidental: always make sure you know where the meat in your favourite restaurant is coming from!) cannibalism and a big family massacre scene near to the end. This was co-directed and produced by Danny Lee, probably best known in the West for his co-starring roles around the same time with Chow Yun-Fat in both The Killer and in City on Fire (and if you think The Untold Story was an aberration in his career, this came after Danny Lee himself directed and starred in Dr Lamb, about a similar kind of figure. I can only assume that these films were Hong Kong cinema's reaction to The Silence of the Lambs!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3923 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:59 pm

I've always been fascinated at these movies (The Untold Story, Ebola Syndrome, ...) and how Anthony Wong got many HK awards thanks to them.
I mean : I'd never have thought these movies would get nominations to begin with.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3924 Post by tenia » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:31 am

Thanks Amazon (as usual) :
Zu (LE) (Classics) / April 20th
Kwaidan (LE) (MoC) / April 27th

2 more to be announced tomorrow (or before if Amazon leaks them again).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3925 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:42 am

I see Rio Grande as well