MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist, and Random Speculation

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
sabbath

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3876 Post by sabbath » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:59 am

Wishful thinking: Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Suit Yourself or Shoot Yourself 6-film series box set. Or Ernst Lubitsch's pre-Code films at Paramount.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3877 Post by Drucker » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:01 am

1. Three Ages
2. Our Hospitality
3. Battling Butler
4. College
5. The Navigator
6. Seven Chances
7. Go West

Just saying

Glowingwabbit

#3878 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:16 am

Drucker wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:01 am
1. Three Ages
2. Our Hospitality
3. Battling Butler
4. College
5. The Navigator
6. Seven Chances
7. Go West

Just saying
6 titles not 7

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3879 Post by tenia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:20 am

Not sure about whether the Cohen Three Ages' 4K restoration is finalised or not, but College, Go West, The Cameraman, The Navigator, Battling Butler and Our Hospitality ones are, and that'd be 6 movies.

nitin

#3880 Post by nitin » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:31 am

If Eureka go through Universal for Paramount licenses in the UK, and the 6 films set could therefore potentially include titles from both Universal and Paramount, could we be looking at an Anthony Mann 50s westerns set comprising of:

- The Far Country
- The Furies
- Bend of the River
- Winchester 73
- The Tin Star
- Thunder Bay

All would seem to have HD masters and quite a few have overseas releases announced or rumoured (including a 4k restoration for Winchester 73).

KJones77

#3881 Post by KJones77 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:53 am

Mann would also satisfy Domino's hint about a director with titles already released by MoC.

Would The Tin Star be on the table though? Has Paramount re-licensed out titles they had licensed to WB?

nitin

#3882 Post by nitin » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:01 am

Didn’t WB just distribute Paramount titles rather than license them to WB?

And yes I had domino’s clue in mind in trying to come up with an answer.

What A Disgrace

#3883 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:01 pm

High Noon confirmed by Amazon.

rapta

#3884 Post by rapta » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Arrow Academy will be releasing The Far Country according to Adrian Martin, so that wouldn't be part of any MoC plans.

I was I who asked Gambin whether it was Sirk or Sturges, and despite his response I still feel he might be bluffing even though he denied them both. I know a few facts told to me direct from Eureka and one is that a title from Paramount was the 'last piece' in a set they were compiling to cover a director's work at a specific studio.

You can see why I whittled it down to Sirk and Sturges, and had also considered von Sternberg but was aware of Indicator teasing his films so realised it wouldn't be him. That said I was assuming the remaining non-Paramount titles would be from Universal, since the latter distribute Paramount's catalogue, and I could be wrong there. I have looked through other possibilities though and can't think of many others (some have suggested McCarey).

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3885 Post by Drucker » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Lordt if MOC did a non-Dietric Von Sternberg box, put out some more of the Paramount silents, Thunderbolt, Salvation Hunters, Shanghai Gesture...well I can fantasize anyway can't I...

rapta

#3886 Post by rapta » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Drucker wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:49 am
They teased that potential mega-Lang box set a few years ago, but have since released even more of his films as standalones...
I did consider this since Lang is obviously a go-to of theirs, but these were the only titles I could see them including:

You and Me (Universal)
The Return of Frank James (Fox)
Western Union (Fox)
Scarlet Street (Universal/P.D.)
Cloak and Dagger (Paramount)
House By the River (Paramount)
American Guerrilla in the Philippines (Fox)

Could be wrong but I can only realistically see them doing a few of those, and most likely as single releases (as they have done for The Woman in the Window and Human Desire).
nitin wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:31 am
If Eureka go through Universal for Paramount licenses in the UK, and the 6 films set could therefore potentially include titles from both Universal and Paramount, could we be looking at an Anthony Mann 50s westerns set comprising of:

- The Far Country
- The Furies
- Bend of the River
- Winchester 73
- The Tin Star
- Thunder Bay

All would seem to have HD masters and quite a few have overseas releases announced or rumoured (including a 4k restoration for Winchester 73).
This is a pretty solid theory actually - I had briefly considered that it could be a Mann-Stewart set comprising of the unreleased titles on UK Blu-ray:

Winchester '73
Bend of the River
Thunder Bay
The Naked Spur
The Glenn Miller Story
Strategic Air Command

That's assuming The Far Country is definitely with Arrow (as Adrian Martin has said), and The Man from Laramie wasn't able to be included (being a Columbia title, and that they've already released it separately). That being said, The Naked Spur is MGM and Strategic Air Command is Paramount, so the fact this set is supposed to be a director at one particular studio foils this theory. Maybe yours is closer to the truth, if true.

Either way, if MoC aren't doing an Anthony Mann set perhaps Arrow are instead, and The Far Country is part of a box set. Would make sense since they haven't done many Westerns as part of Arrow Academy recently and might want to prove they can do a decent box set of classic Westerns after seeing Indicator's Boetticher one.

reaky

#3887 Post by reaky » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:41 pm

Eureka, on Twitter: “We were very pleased to hear this morning that the BBFC has approved a soon to be announced title for release FULLY UNCUT for the first time ever in the UK!”

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3888 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Could Kiss Me Deadly be a contender? The BBFC recently approved it, though the distributor is listed as Sony. And obviously MoC loves Aldrich.

EddieLarkin

#3889 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:51 pm

That's because it's an August Criterion title.

Big Ben

#3890 Post by Big Ben » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:48 pm

Someone on Facebook said the BBFC recently approved a film called Iron Fisted Monk which previously had over a minute of footage cut out of it.

MichaelB

#3891 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:50 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was an HK title.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#3892 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Big Ben wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:48 pm
Someone on Facebook said the BBFC recently approved a film called Iron Fisted Monk which previously had over a minute of footage cut out of it.
This is probably it—the BBFC has a listing with Eureka as the distributor, and we know it's in the pipeline because their end-of-the-year poll mentioned it as part of a Sammo Hung box from Eureka Classics. Previous releases were cut for sexual violence, but the BBFC is a lot less strict about that nowadays. One of the other films in the planned set (Eastern Condors) has also been historically cut by the BBFC, but that probably won't be waived because it involves animal cruelty.

Luke M

#3893 Post by Luke M » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Eureka on Twitter:

#Mastersofcinema and Masters of Horror feature amongst Eureka’s OCTOBER LINE UP, 4 releases featuring 8 films will be revealed in less than 48 hours time! The announcement will take place at 3pm BST Thurs 8 Aug via our usual social media channels. Let the guessing game commence! https://t.co/gmiEBzhIjk

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#3894 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:07 pm

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm
Big Ben wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:48 pm
This is probably it—the BBFC has a listing with Eureka as the distributor, and we know it's in the pipeline because their end-of-the-year poll mentioned it as part of a Sammo Hung box from Eureka Classics. Previous releases were cut for sexual violence, but the BBFC is a lot less strict about that nowadays. One of the other films in the planned set (Eastern Condors) has also been historically cut by the BBFC, but that probably won't be waived because it involves animal cruelty.
Reading this post too quickly had me marvelling at the prospect of a film called 'Fisted Monk' and wondering how that was going to get past the BBFC but then realised I'd skipped the Iron part

RIP Film

#3895 Post by RIP Film » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:16 pm

One film I’d like to see visited from MoC or Criterion is Teshigahara’s Rikyu. A subtle, interesting film that’s been overlooked. The DVD by slingshot entertainment had pretty bad IQ. There exists a Japanese bluray but not sure how much better it fares, there’s no caps online.

What A Disgrace

#3896 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:52 pm

My bet is that we'll get a three film collection in the Eureka! Classics line, and one of the other three discs will include two short films as supplements.

ianthemovie

#3897 Post by ianthemovie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:14 pm

Fingers crossed for The Golem...

rapta

#3898 Post by rapta » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:41 pm

As per usual, titles spoiled by Amazon...

FULLER AT FOX: FIVE FILMS 1951-1957 - FIXED BAYONETS!, PICKUP ON SOUTH STREET, HELL AND HIGH WATER, HOUSE OF BAMBOO, FORTY GUNS (Limited Edition Blu-ray Box Set) [Masters of Cinema] - October 28th
THE FATE OF LEE KHAN (Dual Format Edition) [Masters of Cinema] - October 21st
THE DOGS OF WAR (Blu-ray Edition) [Eureka Classics] - October 14th
THE DARK HALF (Blu-ray Edition) [Eureka Classics] - October 14th

Excited and slightly frustrated by the first announcement, since I already own three out of five of those (and bought them on Day One, no less) but happy to have the other two and hopefully there's some kind of improvement (or reason to double-dip). Really looking forward to more King Hu as well so been patiently waiting for the second announcement. The Walken film looks up my street but unfamiliar with the Romero.

dwk

#3899 Post by dwk » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:05 pm

per Amazon:
November 18th:
The African Queen
Der Golem

November 25th:
A Fistful of Dynamite

Ribs

#3900 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:07 pm