Eureka: Metropolis (2001)

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
rapta

Eureka: Metropolis (2001)

#1 Post by rapta » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:21 am

To end the week on a high, we can reveal that Osamu Tezuka's METROPOLIS will be joining Eureka's roster in a Dual Format edition in the not too distant future.

The 2001 anime film, directed by Rintaro, is loosely based on the 1949 Metropolis manga created by Osamu Tezuka, itself inspired by the 1927 German silent film of the same name. No release date has currently been set, but expect to hear more about this release very soon.
No word on whether it's MoC or Eureka Classics but nevertheless exciting news! This is also the second Sony title that we've heard about so far (after The Man from Laramie), so hopefully we see even more diversity within the label going forward.

Have to say this is one of the best animé films I've seen so far, and would actually fit in quite well in the MoC library.

manicsounds

Re: Forthcoming: Metropolis (2001)

#2 Post by manicsounds » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:05 am

Extremely happy about this getting a BD upgrade from Eureka.

rapta

Re: Forthcoming: Metropolis (2001)

#3 Post by rapta » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:58 pm

Confirmed today that this will be coming out in two separate Dual Format editions - one a Limited Edition Steelbook (of 2000 copies) due on January 16th, and then a standard edition due on March 13th.

NB: No pre-order links yet due to 'technical issues' at Amazon UK.

colinr0380

Re: Eureka: Metropolis (2001)

#4 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:50 pm

This is great news. I have the old Region 1 DVD of this and it is the only DVD I've ever bought that contained a second smaller disc with a making of feature on it that fit in the smaller circular groove inside the tray of the DVD player!

I go a little back and forth on the film itself. I really like some of the earlier world building elements and the Tezuka-styled character designs (all Astro Boy-esque cute big eyes and noses!) but I'm not quite as convinced by the central relationship (I kind of bracket this in with Casshern in sharing some of its themes of doomed naive love in an elaborately detailed alternate fantasy world). However the film does end with (major spoiler):
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

manicsounds

#5 Post by manicsounds » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:47 am

DVDBeaver

The Sony DVD used to be my DTS reference disc, and even though the Eureka disc is missing a few minor extras, it's still an easy upgrade. Also great that the way overpriced Japanese Blu-ray with almost no extras is now off my wishlist.

Costa

#6 Post by Costa » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:08 am

Caps-a-holic comparisons are up!
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=9754&d ... =0&l=0&a=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder which is more accurate:
The Japanese Bluray seems more blurry and the Eureka brings out more detail, but do you think it has used edge enhancement?

Also, here's a radical change in colors - again don't know which is more accurate:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0& ... 16&i=6&l=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Logically, the Japanese Bluray shows the picture as originally painted but maybe they forgot to put a blue filter that Eureka put back in?

rapta

#7 Post by rapta » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:52 pm

If you compare the Eureka disc it looks similar to their previous animated releases - good healthy amount of grain, strong clarity and shadow definition, clear colours. It's definitely the superior release, that's for sure.

colinr0380

#8 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:00 am

The great Are Sounds Electrik YouTube channel have just put out a nice video using footage from Metropolis.