Eureka: Jinnah

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
rapta

Eureka: Jinnah

#1 Post by rapta » Thu May 26, 2016 7:17 am

An epic biopic about the life of Muhammad Ali Jinnah (Christopher Lee), the man who created the Muslim nation of Pakistan in the wake of Great Britain’s relinquishment of control over India. After his death in 1948, Jinnah awaits final judgement in the afterlife and must tell the story of his life, before celestial bureaucrats decide his fate. Covering the political strife and bloody events that led to the formation of Pakistan, Jinnah is an intelligent and moving piece of cinema, with a performance by Sir Christopher Lee that he personally believed to be the finest of his career.

Confirmed here: https://sites.google.com/site/scalarama ... ete-jinnah" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FrauBlucher

Re: Forthcoming: Jinnah

#2 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu May 26, 2016 7:48 am

Not familiar with this but it sounds interesting.

MichaelB

#3 Post by MichaelB » Thu May 26, 2016 8:17 am

Christopher Lee would bang on about this film every possible chance he got, and I've been curious to see it purely for that reason.

Dr Amicus

#4 Post by Dr Amicus » Thu May 26, 2016 9:09 am

It's a really curious piece of work which I had the good fortune to see (about 15 years ago) at a Barbican screening which was followed by a Q&A with Christopher Lee - his pride in it was obvious, and he had a few harsh words about Attenborough's treatment of Jinnah in Gandhi.

It's mostly told in flashback with a dying Jinnah (Lee) concerned about the legacy he's left Pakistan and being questioned / comforted by an Angel. It doesn't quite work perhaps, but Lee is great and it's certainly not a typical epic biopic.

TMDaines

#5 Post by TMDaines » Thu May 26, 2016 11:32 am

Is this better than the Will Smith version?

Finch

#6 Post by Finch » Thu May 26, 2016 12:47 pm

Sounds more like a Eureka classics release than MoC to me. It's not been confirmed that this is coming out under MoC or is it?

What A Disgrace

#7 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu May 26, 2016 12:53 pm

I'd be surprised if it came out through MoC from the sound of things, but I'm interested all the same.

rapta

Re: Eureka: Jinnah

#8 Post by rapta » Thu May 26, 2016 1:57 pm

True, it could be Eureka Classics but you never know. I'm guessing we'll find out in the next month or so.

manicsounds

Re: Eureka: Jinnah

#9 Post by manicsounds » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:50 am

DVDBeaver

Looks good but Eureka dropped the ball by NOT including any of the extras from the 2-disc DVD set.