Dear MoC, we love you but...

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Dear MoC, we love you but...

#51 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Gregory wrote:Is it still described as having been shot with a hermaphroditic telephoto lens?
No, that part's gone.

danieltiger

#52 Post by danieltiger » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:55 pm

Wow. Even the final edited version is ridiculous to the extreme.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#54 Post by swo17 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:30 pm

To summarize: A small portion of the discs shipped by any company are re-sealed ones that had lived a previous life as an in-store display copy. This is standard industry practice for distributors, and Eureka has no control over it. If you are in any way dissatisfied with the condition of your Eureka product, email Kevin and he will give you a free replacement. He'll even apparently give you a free movie of your choice if you don't like the free random movie that you received as part of their recent promotion. This is apparently still not enough to please some people on Blu-ray.com.

You know, I've ordered "brand new" DVDs direct from Amazon UK that came without even being shrinkwrapped (which they told me still constituted "brand new" products). Somehow life goes on.

TMDaines

#55 Post by TMDaines » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:31 pm

Is this really news? I've received releases of virtually every big label that have been clearly resealed over the years.

Minkin

#56 Post by Minkin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Your link is off by 400 pages :shock: (was wondering why people were talking about La Notte being delayed, and their Mizoguchi set just now showing up). Here is the correct link to the page.

To be fair to Bluray.com, the original poster of the complaint got this response from Kevin, which I think would be cause for ire (since it sounded like they knew of the issue, didn't care and wouldn't be bothered to offer a replacement):
«The re-sealed ones are brand new, they will be reruns from a store that remove the disc from display products i.e. they are not faulty and should be in 100% new condition».
Ahh, but the response later from Kevin says he did offer a replacement! Well, I'll side with MoC this time (though I'd complain too and ask for a exchange if my copy had been manhandled and sold "as new" -though I'm sure Kevin would fix it no problem; Its like the time I bought the WB Hammer DVD set as new- which had the shrinkwrap torn on the case side and fingerprints all over the discs. Nice try 3rd party seller.

hanshotfirst1138

#57 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:45 pm

knives wrote:You'd be surprised.
Some people fear the dreaded "black bars" so much that they'll crop pretty much anything to make sure it fits. I was surprised how negligible 1.66 looked on a 1.78 set, but I'm sure it bother someone.

MichaelB

#58 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:02 pm

hanshotfirst1138 wrote:Some people fear the dreaded "black bars" so much that they'll crop pretty much anything to make sure it fits. I was surprised how negligible 1.66 looked on a 1.78 set, but I'm sure it bother someone.
How do these people cope with documentaries that intercut 16:9 interview footage with clips in their correct aspect ratios? Do they adjust their telly's settings shot by shot?

hanshotfirst1138

Dear MoC, we love you but...

#59 Post by hanshotfirst1138 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:31 pm

MichaelB wrote:
hanshotfirst1138 wrote:Some people fear the dreaded "black bars" so much that they'll crop pretty much anything to make sure it fits. I was surprised how negligible 1.66 looked on a 1.78 set, but I'm sure it bother someone.
How do these people cope with documentaries that intercut 16:9 interview footage with clips in their correct aspect ratios? Do they adjust their telly's settings shot by shot?

You've got me. I hope cropping of anything and everything would stop with the inception of HDTVs, but based on what airs on cable, not so much.

Incidentally, on the subject of Fellini, I got to see a 35mm print of Voice of the Moon. Has that ever gotten any home video release?

MichaelB

#60 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:54 pm

I have a VHS somewhere, but I think it's in unsubtitled Italian.

knives

#61 Post by knives » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:29 am

MichaelB wrote:
In my experience they just have their televisions set up so that it's all just eaten up.