rockysds

Eureka: Rapture

#1 Post by rockysds » Thu May 08, 2014 3:51 am

John Guillermin's Rapture forthcoming.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Non-MoC Eureka titles

#2 Post by Drucker » Thu May 08, 2014 10:08 am

Glad to see there's going to be an alternative for what has been a celebrated TT title.

repeat

#3 Post by repeat » Thu May 08, 2014 10:34 am

Rapture!! :shock: This is the best news from Eureka since I can't remember when - even alleviates this morning's pain of discovering I'd missed out on the Mizoguchi blu box... So glad I had the patience to hold off on the TT release (nothing against them, just prohibitively expensive to get those over to Europe).

Hope this will result in a lot more people getting around to this divisive film so we can have a proper fight over it! :D

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#4 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu May 08, 2014 10:55 am

repeat wrote:Rapture!! :shock: This is the best news from Eureka since I can't remember when - even alleviates this morning's pain of discovering I'd missed out on the Mizoguchi blu box... So glad I had the patience to hold off on the TT release (nothing against them, just prohibitively expensive to get those over to Europe).

Hope this will result in a lot more people getting around to this divisive film so we can have a proper fight over it! :D
Well I'm in the red corner...(Anti).

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Thu May 08, 2014 1:51 pm

Dear Eureka: please get The Driver next. [-o<

repeat

#6 Post by repeat » Fri May 09, 2014 12:26 am

Hard Times, too!

Lowry_Sam

#7 Post by Lowry_Sam » Fri May 09, 2014 12:49 am

If they were smart, The Big Heat would come first, as it's already OOP.

eerik

#8 Post by eerik » Fri May 09, 2014 4:19 am

Lowry_Sam wrote:If they were smart, The Big Heat would come first, as it's already OOP.
Sony does not license out their titles to UK distributors.

MichaelB

#9 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 09, 2014 4:50 am

eerik wrote:Sony does not license out their titles to UK distributors.
Indeed they don't.

And if Lowry_Sam was smart, he might have worked out that Fritz Lang's major UK distributor (by some distance) would have been fully aware of the existence of HD masters of The Big Heat for some considerable time.

peerpee
not perpee

#10 Post by peerpee » Sun May 11, 2014 2:29 pm

Sony UK were game for licensing titles out a few years ago, but only if we used their DLTs (ie. their encodes, their subtitles, their menus). I think they may have even insisted on pressing them, and we were to be offered them on spools!

The proposal was ridiculous, I declined. (This was a few months before a wave with crap covers appeared as Sony/Moviemail exclusives. One was Powell's AGE OF CONSENT.)

Hopefully those decision makers at Sony have moved on to selling sugared water or something.

antnield

#11 Post by antnield » Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 am

PfR73

#12 Post by PfR73 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:48 pm

peerpee wrote:Hopefully those decision makers at Sony have moved on to selling sugared water or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLUaZ4hpNeg

EddieLarkin

#13 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon May 12, 2014 5:04 pm

rockysds wrote:John Guillermin's Rapture forthcoming.
Specs updated to include a new commentary from Twilight Time's Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo, which did not feature on the TT disc...

Black Hat

#14 Post by Black Hat » Tue May 13, 2014 3:51 am

Wait the guy behind twilight time recorded a commentary for another company's release without doing one for his own? That's rich. Where's Moe? Would love to hear him defend this.

EddieLarkin

#15 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue May 13, 2014 8:38 am

Black Hat wrote:Wait the guy behind twilight time recorded a commentary for another company's release without doing one for his own? That's rich. Where's Moe? Would love to hear him defend this.
This year the two of them started doing commentaries for the majority of the TT releases. This wasn't something they did when Rapture was released nearly 3 years ago. Presumably they took the opportunity to do a new commentary when Eureka licensed the title. You don't think it's nice that they're making a competing release even better than their own? There's still plenty of the TT copies left and it won't get repressed, so the track will remain a UK/Eureka exclusive.

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 13, 2014 9:22 am

One of the great things about this business is that people from notionally rival companies are often only too happy to help each other out, especially if they're based in different territories.

And the Eureka disc will almost certainly be region-locked, and I suspect that very few people import Twilight Time titles into the UK (what with the RRP and the Customs lottery, they're just too expensive), so I doubt it makes much difference to their bottom line.

L.A.

#17 Post by L.A. » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:05 am