#2 Post by L.A. » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:15 am

manicsounds

Re: Non-MoC Eureka titles

#3 Post by manicsounds » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:17 am

MichaelB

#4 Post by MichaelB » Tue May 13, 2014 7:44 am

Cine Outsider on Violent Saturday:
I've seen a few retrospective reviews of Violent Saturday that I'd probably describe as cautiously enthusiastic, ones that express surprise at how much the writer enjoyed the film or how multiple viewings have seen it grow on them. I experienced no such hesitation, and fell in love with it from its opening scene. A terrific showcase for the too-often undervalued talents of its talented director, it is most impressively presented on Eureka's welcome dual format release. I've only one question – why was this not a Masters of Cinema title?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:24 am

I enjoyed the video essay on the Violent Saturday Blu-ray, especially since I didn't like the film and wanted to hear a compelling defense of it. I can't say I walked away with my mind changed, but I appreciated and respect the conclusions as gathered. However, Eureka decided to subtitle "mise-en-scene" as "direction/director" every time it was used, and especially given that the speaker is French and that word has a special meaning beyond just "direction" not just to the French but to anyone talking about cinema period, this was a really wrongheaded translation. Please, Eureka, if you are reading this: doesn't make the same mistake on future extras ported over from French releases!

zedz

#6 Post by zedz » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:59 pm

domino harvey wrote:I enjoyed the video essay on the Violent Saturday Blu-ray, especially since I didn't like the film and wanted to hear a compelling defense of it. I can't say I walked away with my mind changed, but I appreciated and respect the conclusions as gathered. However, Eureka decided to subtitle "mise-en-scene" as "direction/director" every time it was used, and especially given that the speaker is French and that word has a special meaning beyond just "direction" not just to the French but to anyone talking about cinema period, this was a really wrongheaded translation. Please, Eureka, if you are reading this: doesn't make the same mistake on future extras ported over from French releases!
Yeah, the Saada piece is very thorough. (Even the Friedkin piece is less useless than usual, which is a bit like saying cardboard slots make for less useless DVD packaging than having them rattling around loose in a big box full of scoria and sandpaper.)

I don't know what your particular reservations are about the film (which I generally admired), but I hate the way it insists that you're not a real man unless you beat people up. The Spielbergian 'better parenting through mindless violence' nonsense is particularly obnoxious, since it boils down to the film trying to have it both ways. At first, it's all, "no, no, Victor Mature is a good person even though he didn't fight in the war, you foolish child," but by the end, it's "but yeah, he'd be a much better dad if he offed a few bad guys." And it goes out of the way to include principled pacifist characters just so it can shit all over their beliefs.