I Liked It Better When Gaumont Released It

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
zedz

Re: 129-130 / BD 58-59 Le Beau Serge & Les Cousins

#51 Post by zedz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:31 pm

tenia, yesterday, wrote:I feel like I'm the only one disappointed by the line up.

Both Chabrols are available in English-friendly Gaumont releases since Sept 2011, Humanity and paper balloons is said to be available in a nice HD transfer but will only be re-released on DVD, not especially thrilled by Bakumatsu, and the Clouzot is very likely to be released soon by Gaumont in a likely-to-be English friendly edition.
And no Steelbook.
I'm only very happy for La notte ! (but still no extras except the same booklet than the DVD).
tenia, today, wrote:
Finch wrote:When you figure in the Japanese titles and the Clouzot, I find it baffling that MoC are being called opportunistic over 2 out of 7 titles.
I found them opportunistic on one BD out of 50 (Le silence de la mer), but the MoC release ported the MoC exclusive Ginette Vincendeau presentation, and was with a much healthier encoding than the Gaumont.
So 2 out of 7 clearly explodes the score. :wink:
But of course, the announcement of the Japanese titles and the Clouzot are very exciting, as is the upgrade of La notte when Criterion were "having troubles with some materials".
So, you've gone from being 6/7ths disappointed to only 2/7ths - if we keep this going another 24 hours are you going to be completely happy?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: I Liked It Better When Gaumont Released It

#52 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:36 am

zedz wrote:So, you've gone from being 6/7ths disappointed to only 2/7ths - if we keep this going another 24 hours are you going to be completely happy?
Not really, but I chose to focus on the Chabrols withing this discussion. That doesn't change the Clouzot being soon released in France, and La notte being upgraded 5 years after the DVD and not having a single addition to the release (commentary, extras, ...).

But I just need to stop spoiling other people's fun here. I mean, that won't change my mind about overlapping releases, opportunism and so on, so, whatever.

Dick Laurent

#53 Post by Dick Laurent » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:45 am

Are the booklets of the gaumont releases in English ? If not, then there's a big plus for MOC on that department... And if they are I don't think MOC just copies the booklets from gaumont?

Bürgermeister

Re: 129-130 / BD 58-59 Le Beau Serge & Les Cousins

#54 Post by Bürgermeister » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:24 am

TMDaines wrote: That's £25.26. It's a crapshoot as to whether you'll get both MoC's at that price on release or shortly after.
Thats BS you can order them right now on TheHut for £12.45 each so thats £24.90, lets not forget TheHut send 10% discount codes often so you could actually get them both for £22.41 and a lovely booklet in English.

tenia wrote: La notte being upgraded 5 years after the DVD and not having a single addition to the release (commentary, extras, ...).
Yeah because getting extras is easy... :roll:

Fact is it depends what is available and how much the licensor is asking. I'm sure MoC have passed on some extras because the licensor was asking too much. If MoC could pack all their releases with extras I'm sure they would, but it's not always possible.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#55 Post by tenia » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:01 am

Dick Laurent wrote:Are the booklets of the gaumont releases in English ? If not, then there's a big plus for MOC on that department... And if they are I don't think MOC just copies the booklets from gaumont?
I suppose it's ironic since Gaumont don't have booklets with their releases.
But yes, MoC booklets have always been a big plus, even if I've been surprised of how some are slim sometimes (fortunately, it's only a couple of them).
Bürgermeister wrote:Yeah because getting extras is easy... :roll:

Fact is it depends what is available and how much the licensor is asking. I'm sure MoC have passed on some extras because the licensor was asking too much. If MoC could pack all their releases with extras I'm sure they would, but it's not always possible.
I can imagine that, but MoC also have a few recurring collaborators they could have asked. Apart from that, I suppose that you're right, and that probably some extras exists but are stuck due to silly price requests from the rightholders.
On the other end, also, I found on-disc extras to become fewer and fewer over the time at MoC, but since they have been doing double feature, it tends to be compensated in other ways (though I'm still amazed by the lack of on-disc analysis on La passion).

djvaso

#56 Post by djvaso » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 am

It is completely understandable that Frenchmen prefer Gaumont releases to analogue MoC ones. Goumont releases has one major disadvantage for me: lack of French HoH subtitles for extras. If they have, one can extract French subtitles, translate them on English and make disc English-friendly :D .
And remark about price: they have had generally small fluctuation around EUR 19,99 on Amazon.fr.

TMDaines

#57 Post by TMDaines » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:00 am

If you ever want French releases always check Amazon.es. Ditto for German releases, but for Italian ones it isn't so great.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#58 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:14 am

Hey let's wrap this up, after all 'tis the season to be jolly.
Let's buy everything from those wonderful people at MoC, Second Run, BFI, Criterion, Cinema Guild, Carlotta, Gaumont , New Wave and evenTwilight Time.
Fill those stockings with joy and merriment.

God Bless Everyone!
Tiny Tim

Cue.. a Bah Humbug .