The MoC Booklet Thread

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
Gregor Samsa

The MoC Booklet Thread

#1 Post by Gregor Samsa » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:38 pm

I know there's already a long-standing MoC packaging thread, but I thought that the care and attention they put into their booklets makes them worthy of their own thread, for any specifically booklet-related thoughts. (Favourite examples, general thoughts, discussion of articles within, etc: ) To start by suggesting a couple of my own favourites, I was highly impressed by the booklets for Tabu and Touch of Evil. What I think I like most about them is the way they have enough space to capture multiple perspectives (contemporary and retrospective) on the films, and help suggest new ways of thinking about them---the Welles interview excerpts in Touch of Evil are particularly useful to that end. The use of archival material is also great for placing a film in its individual context, and can sometimes even be poignant, like the anecdote recounted at the end of the Film Comment article in Tabu. For a less academic example, reading the one for Repo Man recently also reminded me that very few other companies if any would devote an entire 44 page booklet in that idiosyncratic style. For me, its a big part of what makes MoC what they are, especially with Criterion downsizing their own booklets in recent years.

Altair

Re: The MoC Booklet Thread

#2 Post by Altair » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:44 am

Out of my Masters of Cinema collection, I particularly found the booklet for Pasolini's Oedipus Rex valuable, including as it does a long interview with Pasolini talking about the themes of the film and what drove him to make it. A real eye-opener for me (it was my first Pasolini) in terms of understanding "his" cinema.

bugsy_pal

#3 Post by bugsy_pal » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:53 am

An old thread revived... I just received my copy of the 3-film 2-disc set of Lugosi Poe adaptations, standard edition (Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Black Cat, The Raven). I'd like to commend MoC/Eureka for continuing to provide booklets with their standard editions. They have a history of great booklets for all most releases, but in this case, I must express my dismay - the text is tiny and very difficult to read, and reversed out type, as well as having lots of text printed on a purple background is a recipe for headaches. Did the limited slipcase edition have the same booklet?

It's a pity they couldn't get an ABC design primer from their old designer, Nick Wrigley.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#4 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:00 am

I have the original 47-page booklet. Toward the end there is a section with smaller white text on a purple background. Is that what you're talking about? I don't find it hard to read but I suppose I could see others struggling with it

bugsy_pal

#5 Post by bugsy_pal » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:21 pm

This must be a truncated booklet - it's only about 12 pages in my version (sorry, I don't have access to it right now to get the exact number). Perhaps it's case where they reduced the size of the booklet for the standard edition, both in terms of numbers of pages and page dimensions.
All of the writing, apart from credits, in the standard edition is about Murders in the Rue Morgue. No articles about the other two films.

ChunkyLover

#6 Post by ChunkyLover » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:19 pm

Yeah, Eureka have been doing smaller font on their slimmed down standard releases from LEs. Particularly, the regular edition booklets of "High Noon", "Kwaidan", and "Vampyr" all also have small font.