4 x DVD releases in February 2011

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
peerpee
not perpee

4 x DVD releases in February 2011

#1 Post by peerpee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:41 pm

In order to try and buy us a bit more time - as we struggle with large projects that are nowhere near completion - we are releasing 4 titles on DVD in February 2011. These are titles that we released "on Blu-ray only" in 2010.

PROFOUND DESIRES OF THE GODS
THE BURMESE HARP
MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW
WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER?

As far as I'm concerned this is a retrograde step which sends out confusing signals and pits an inferior format against an already released superior format -- and I apologise to those who might have been expecting fresh Blu-rays from us -- but it fills a hole in our schedule and will presumably please those who still only have [s]VHS[/s] DVD players. It goes without saying, we worked very hard bringing these titles out in 1080p this year and we urge everyone to experience these films on Blu-ray in 1080p.

Duncan Hopper

Re: 4 x DVD releases in February 2011

#2 Post by Duncan Hopper » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:45 pm

*through gritted teeth*

aox

#3 Post by aox » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:57 pm

peerpee wrote:As far as I'm concerned this is a retrograde step which sends out confusing signals and pits an inferior format against an already released superior format -- and I apologise to those who might have been expecting fresh Blu-rays from us -- but it fills a hole in our schedule and will presumably please those who still only have [s]VHS[/s] DVD players. It goes without saying, we worked very hard bringing these titles out in 1080p this year and we urge everyone to experience these films on Blu-ray in 1080p.
My current favorite post on the board. \:D/

zedz

#4 Post by zedz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:13 pm

Ouch.

Alphonse Doinel

#5 Post by Alphonse Doinel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Let's hope the forthcoming November offer brings better news.

ellipsis7

#6 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:39 pm

Please also give us previous MoC DVD releases such as LA NOTTE & IL GRIDO on the superior BR format, along with hopefully more MA to come... Actually DVD probably is the widespread and longstanding archival format, in terms of reference/individual libraries, while we all crave BRs of our favourite titles...

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#7 Post by Tribe » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:02 pm

peerpee wrote:In order to try and buy us a bit more time - as we struggle with large projects that are nowhere near completion - we are releasing 4 titles on DVD in February 2011. These are titles that we released "on Blu-ray only" in 2010.

PROFOUND DESIRES OF THE GODS
THE BURMESE HARP
MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW

As far as I'm concerned this is a retrograde step which sends out confusing signals and pits an inferior format against an already released superior format -- and I apologise to those who might have been expecting fresh Blu-rays from us -- but it fills a hole in our schedule and will presumably please those who still only have [s]VHS[/s] DVD players. It goes without saying, we worked very hard bringing these titles out in 1080p this year and we urge everyone to experience these films on Blu-ray in 1080p.
I'm not confused in the least!!!! You're gonna get money from me for these....now if you can only find it your heart to release City Girl on DVD....but hell, I'm not complaining in the least. Thanks a ton!!!!

matrixschmatrix

#8 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:13 pm

If I'm not region free on Blu by February, I might wind up picking up Rock Hunter (the Blu is region locked, right?).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:24 pm

All four of those titles are Region B-locked, which is presumably why City Girl and The World (both region free) aren't included.

Der Spieler

#10 Post by Der Spieler » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 pm

PLEASE release "City Girl". :P

peerpee
not perpee

#11 Post by peerpee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:34 pm

We have plans to do CITY GIRL on DVD. But not THE WORLD. We'll use CITY GIRL DVD to fill a gap somewhere along the way.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#12 Post by Tribe » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:37 pm

peerpee wrote:We have plans to do CITY GIRL on DVD. But not THE WORLD. We'll use CITY GIRL DVD to fill a gap somewhere along the way.
Oh man...more fantastic news! Where else can you find people willing to hand over money to you, huh? \:D/

Crab Society North

#13 Post by Crab Society North » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:38 pm

peerpee wrote:We have plans to do CITY GIRL on DVD. But not THE WORLD. We'll use CITY GIRL DVD to fill a gap somewhere along the way.
THANK YOU SO MUCH. I was pretty bummed when it was announced as blu only. But better later than never for SD!

Finch

#14 Post by Finch » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:38 pm

peerpee wrote:it fills a hole in our schedule
So in other words, it'll be reissues for Jan and Feb (Mizoguchi box and DVD editions of the abovementioned Blu titles) and no genuinely new titles? Pity, I'm sure many were looking forward to finding out which director was getting two films released on Blu in February. Again though, you guys have had an amazingly productive year considering it's only 3, 4 full-time staff.

Der Spieler

#15 Post by Der Spieler » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Great news!

Saturnome

#16 Post by Saturnome » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Heh! City Girl is the main reason I went Blu (before I even had a flat screen!) and I'm glad I did.

I may get the Mizoguchi box though. If I can find the MK2 Mizoguchi box for cheap (Osaka Elegy, The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums and the 47 Ronins, I think It's french subs only but I wonder if anybody knows about the picture quality) with it, that's a crazy instant Mizoguchi collection I could get.

skeets kelly

#17 Post by skeets kelly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:52 am

Tribe wrote:I'm not confused in the least!!!! You're gonna get money from me for these....now if you can only find it your heart to release City Girl on DVD....but hell, I'm not complaining in the least. Thanks a ton!
to be honest, the blu titles were going to be the main reason i was going to upgrade.

and now i really don't have to. hooray!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#18 Post by tenia » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:16 am

I upgraded a few months ago and will only buy BR from MoC (well, when I have some money for it).
Anyway, I don't think it will confuse people, but you may get a few customers back from all the ones which stop buying MoC because they didn't upgrade yet.

It is sad to see that now, you have to release the "inferior" DVD editions, but I do believe that it can only be interesting for the customers that couldn't buy these new releases.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#19 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:29 am

skeets kelly wrote:to be honest, the blu titles were going to be the main reason i was going to upgrade.

and now i really don't have to.
City Girl and Profound Desires are pretty much the reason God invented region-free Blu-ray players. You don't want to anger the gods, do you?

Tommaso

#20 Post by Tommaso » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:57 am

Thanks Peerpee, I'll certainly get "Profound Desires" and probably also "Make way for tomorrow" now. That gives me hope for future releases, perhaps indeed as dual format sets a la "Metropolis" at least for the more iconic films (such as more Antonioni, should the speculations be right).
swo17 wrote:City Girl and Profound Desires are pretty much the reason God invented region-free Blu-ray players. You don't want to anger the gods, do you?
The gods invented 35mm prints in the first place. The rest is just human religion.

peerpee
not perpee

#21 Post by peerpee » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm

We shan't be pursuing the "Dual Format" edition as a regular thing. It has an inbuilt obsolescence and is environmentally unfriendly/wasteful. We much prefer the Criterion route of entirely separate format releases (if we're doing a BD and a DVD release of a particular title).

Jean-Luc Garbo

#22 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:10 pm

peerpee wrote:PROFOUND DESIRES OF THE GODS
Hell yes on the former and maybe on the latter! Thanks for making these available on DVD now. I'll definitely be getting that Imamura.

skeets kelly

#23 Post by skeets kelly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:53 am

swo17 wrote:
skeets kelly wrote:to be honest, the blu titles were going to be the main reason i was going to upgrade.

and now i really don't have to.
City Girl and Profound Desires are pretty much the reason God invented region-free Blu-ray players. You don't want to anger the gods, do you?
i'm working on it. but new tv + new region free blu-ray player = less money i can spend on buying movies readily available in a format i've already invested a ton of money in.

MoC is going to make me do it eventually. i guarantee it.

matrixschmatrix

#24 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:09 am

If you have a computer you can hook up to your TV, it is way way cheaper to get a blu-ray drive and download software to get region free blu-ray capability than it is to buy a Momitsu or whatever. You can get the drive for around $60, and the software ranges from free to maybe $25 if you want something nice.

skeets kelly

#25 Post by skeets kelly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:19 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:If you have a computer you can hook up to your TV, it is way way cheaper to get a blu-ray drive and download software to get region free blu-ray capability than it is to buy a Momitsu or whatever. You can get the drive for around $60, and the software ranges from free to maybe $25 if you want something nice.
tv is only 720p. seems silly to not take advantage of the format.