MoC OOP

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
aewb

Re: MoC OOP

#276 Post by aewb » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:39 am

Mr. Deltoid wrote:So. has the KURONEKO Blu gone out of print? It's only available from sellers on Amazon and I can't see it listed at all on Eureka's on-line store.
It was recently reissued as a dual-format. Currently £11 at Amazon.

rapta

#277 Post by rapta » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:51 am

Mr. Deltoid wrote:So. has the KURONEKO Blu gone out of print? It's only available from sellers on Amazon and I can't see it listed at all on Eureka's on-line store.
They released a Dual Format version to replace it just last month! Exactly the same just with a DVD copy added.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuroneko-Master ... 00ZZX735C/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
domino harvey wrote:Really disappointed that Eureka is no longer giving consumers a heads-up about OOP titles. We don't need anything else driving our home media culture of fear of disappearance
Over at the Blu-ray.com forum we are often keeping tabs and many complained that they weren't updating us. Basically it was pointed out that if they did let everyone know, there would be a mad rush, and sometimes they are considering a reissue and people would get very annoyed if they just paid over the odds to get something that was going to be reissue in a month or two.

For example, had they told everyone that The Ballad of Narayama and The Insect Woman was going OOP on Facebook before they had decided to do an Imamura box set, many people who had quickly rushed to get the last copies of Narayama/Insect Woman would be pretty miffed when they announced the Imamura set yesterday as they could've saved some money. So either way, they can't really win...

However, I would say they should let us know about some of the DVD titles that are going OOP or anything they're definitely not going to reprint - I missed out on Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? because I wasn't quick enough, and there are more than a handful of DVD titles that have been deleted some even without anybody noticing, and a few that I had on my watch list. We did point out that they could let us know when they're into the last 100 or 50 copies (or whatever, adjusted for how slowly that particular title is selling) so that those of us who definitely wanted it at least had a heads-up - and of course I only mean titles they definitely won't reprint, like Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? or something they won't upgrade like many of the MoC DVD titles. It is a tricky business though - technically all of the Pialat DVD titles are OOP (and one or two deleted) but you can still buy them from most places for a reasonable price, and the Dual Format edition of Oedipus Rex recently went OOP and was deleted on the Eureka site but has gone back on sale from them for the time being (they said it would be reissued if it did go OOP though, along with any other Pasolini Blu-ray titles...not sure about DVDs like Pigsty though).

PfR73

#278 Post by PfR73 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:24 pm

rapta wrote:For example, had they told everyone that The Ballad of Narayama and The Insect Woman was going OOP on Facebook before they had decided to do an Imamura box set, many people who had quickly rushed to get the last copies of Narayama/Insect Woman would be pretty miffed when they announced the Imamura set yesterday as they could've saved some money. So either way, they can't really win...
On the other hand, I would have preferred the OOP notice since the boxset won't have the booklets & now I'm having to track down the individual releases.

tomN245

#279 Post by tomN245 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Heads Up that Rene Laloux's Les Maitres du temps (The Time Masters) DVD is shown as deleted on the website. If it gets reprinted or not, who knows? Great film though :D

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#280 Post by Drucker » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:25 pm

tomN245 wrote:Heads Up that Rene Laloux's Les Maitres du temps (The Time Masters) DVD is shown as deleted on the website. If it gets reprinted or not, who knows? Great film though :D
Considering Gandahar went OOP, and neither have the cult following of Fantastic Planet, probably last chance!

perkizitore

#281 Post by perkizitore » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:31 pm

Is The Last Laugh getting an upgrade or a reprint? Unless they lost the rights, it seems odd for MoC to leave a Murnau title in limbo.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#282 Post by tenia » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:19 am

perkizitore wrote:Is The Last Laugh getting an upgrade or a reprint? Unless they lost the rights, it seems odd for MoC to leave a Murnau title in limbo.
Der letzte Mann could be upgraded at some point soon but there are no confirmation yet.

eerik

#283 Post by eerik » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:29 pm

tenia wrote:
perkizitore wrote:Is The Last Laugh getting an upgrade or a reprint? Unless they lost the rights, it seems odd for MoC to leave a Murnau title in limbo.
Der letzte Mann could be upgraded at some point soon but there are no confirmation yet.
FWMS has done a good job with creating new HD masters in the recent years and Der letzte Mann would surely be high on the priority list, right?

FerdinandGriffon

#284 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:25 am

What's the deal with the new(ish) MoC website? Do they no longer keep a catalogue of all their titles there? And if something isn't listed there, then is it OOP? I was looking for La Tête contre les murs, and can't find any trace of it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#285 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:27 am

I think they mentioned when the new site went live that some of their releases hadn't made it to the site. Still, just order from Amazon.co.uk, you can pick it up fulfilled by Eureka themselves via Amazon for 7.49 plus shipping, about what it'd cost you on their site for ten pounds

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#286 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:33 am

If a title was already OOP when they started the new site, they generally didn't bother to move it over. But there are a handful of still in-print (as far as I know) titles, like the one you mention, that didn't make the move over either for whatever reason.

FerdinandGriffon

#287 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:49 am

Thanks. Guess I'll add the old site to the long list of stuff I miss about the Nick Wrigley-era MoC.

tomN245

#288 Post by tomN245 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:02 pm

Profound Desires of the Gods Blu
Vengeance is Mine Blu
A Man Vanishes DVD

Deleted from the website :cry: :cry: :cry:

Only Pigs and Battleships is left from the Imamuras.

Amazon have these, but not for long I imagine.

tomN245

#289 Post by tomN245 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:12 pm

\:D/ Metropolis Steelbook has sold out \:D/

Minkin

#290 Post by Minkin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:28 pm

tomN245 wrote:\:D/ Metropolis Steelbook has sold out \:D/
Did someone end up winning that stupid golden whatever? Or did it end up like some other mythical prizes?

rapta

#291 Post by rapta » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:19 am

I realised this a few days ago - I was very lucky in that I ordered a copy from a third-party seller on eBay last week, but they didn't dispatch it for almost a week and I was worried I wouldn't get a copy and they would cancel my order. Luckily it just turned up, #255 and wrapped in bubble wrap in a card mailer. Phew!
Minkin wrote:
Did someone end up winning that stupid golden whatever? Or did it end up like some other mythical prizes?
I think so yes. They announced it a month or two ago on their Facebook page I seem to remember.

tomN245

#292 Post by tomN245 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:34 pm

F for Fake has run out of stock on Amazon. Still available direct.

rapta

#293 Post by rapta » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:31 am

SHANE (Limited Edition) and A TOUCH OF ZEN (Limited Edition) are now both deleted on the Eureka site.

Still available from some retailers and third-party sellers, so get hold of them quick if you were still mulling over these! Both are two of the best titles I've bought recently.

PS: some have speculated that Make Way for Tomorrow looks like it might go OOP soon too. No official word yet though.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#294 Post by Drucker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:48 am

Glad these are apparently selling well then, glad I already got mine, and hopefully more come out.

TMDaines

#295 Post by TMDaines » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:05 pm

Shane's no loss, Touch of Zen on the other hand...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#296 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:07 pm

Weren't both of these going to get non-limited editions excluding some of the bonus features?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#297 Post by Drucker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Yes.

kristophers

#298 Post by kristophers » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:21 pm

rapta wrote:SHANE (Limited Edition) and A TOUCH OF ZEN (Limited Edition) are now both deleted on the Eureka site.

Still available from some retailers and third-party sellers, so get hold of them quick if you were still mulling over these! Both are two of the best titles I've bought recently.

PS: some have speculated that Make Way for Tomorrow looks like it might go OOP soon too. No official word yet though.

I really hope Amazon doesn't muck up my order that includes Touch of Zen. I pre-ordered it along with the Fuller, Visconti and Roeg titles when they had that £10 discount, and it seems they're waiting until March to ship everything.

rapta

#299 Post by rapta » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:25 pm

swo17 wrote:Weren't both of these going to get non-limited editions excluding some of the bonus features?
Yes, they still are. Shane will just be the first disc, and A Touch of Zen will be minus the slipcover and bonus DVD (no word on the booklet or DVD copy of the main disc). I thought Shane was just a print-run thing (i.e. when the first 2000 sell out it switches to 1-disc) but A Touch of Zen was going to be formally reissued (i.e. a release date), but I could be wrong - things might have changed.

The problem with Shane's stereo track could be another complication - perhaps Shane has been taken off the market so they can run a replacement programme? Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see.
kristophers wrote:I really hope Amazon doesn't muck up my order that includes Touch of Zen. I pre-ordered it along with the Fuller, Visconti and Roeg titles when they had that £10 discount, and it seems they're waiting until March to ship everything.
It's still in stock with them, but if I were you I'd go on chat and enquire about this. Fixed Bayonets! was released today so they might be able to shift the two that are already released and have them sent on your way if you explain the stock issue. I talked to them on chat recently to get my own order fixed and they were quite helpful.

The weird thing is, I just added A Touch of Zen to my basket on Amazon and typed in 999 copies and it worked. So that means Amazon would have 999+ copies of this left, and that's impossible if Kevin last reported 60% had sold already. So maybe my idea of there being a 'formal' reissue was wrong, and this will just be a print-run like Shane (in which case the price would probably drop too).

Hopefully we'll hear from Eureka soon about this. Be nice if they could warn people if something was going to go OOP, but that's something a lot of us have been frustrated about over the last year or two (e.g. I missed out on Rock Hunter, and several DVD titles).

kristophers

#300 Post by kristophers » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:54 pm

Sound advice, rapta. I went on the chat with them, explained my concern to see if they'd split the order up, and they assured that a copy of Zen is already set aside for me and not to worry about it. Didn't want to push it so I'll take their word for it.