67 Kokoro

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
The Digital McGuffin

67 Kokoro

#1 Post by The Digital McGuffin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:11 am

Kokoro

Brimful with brooding psychological torment, Kokoro is vintage Kon Ichikawa (An Actor's Revenge, The Burmese Harp, Tokyo Olympiad). Based on a novel by celebrated Japanese author Natsume Soseki, the director foregrounds its mthemes of individual isolation and social estrangement, most notably in a central protagonist stricken by existential demons and stranded by changing times.

Why does Nobuchi (Masayuki Mori) visit the grave of his old friend Kaji (Tatsuya Mihashi)? Why is he so secretive with his wife Shizu (Michiyo Aratama)? And how does Nobuchi's friendship with the young student Hioki (Shoji Yasui) - for whom the older man acts as reluctant sensei - relate to his time with Kaji? As the Meiji Era draws to a close with the emperor's death and the suicide of General Nogi, a fateful tale of tainted love, failed friendship, and redemptive honour unravels with tragic consequences.

Though sometimes overlooked in the director's impressive oeuvre, Ichikawa's profoundly beautiful rendering of Soseki's novel is a considerable work of cinema in its own right. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Kokoro for home viewing in the UK for the very first time.

Special Features:

- New high definition digital transfer
- New and improved optional English subtitles
- A lavish 48-page booklet with archival publicity stills, a newly written essay by Tony Rayns (critic and curator of East Asian cinemas), and an extended interview with Kon Ichikawa by Yuki Mori (The Films of Kon Ichikawa) on the “Beginnings” of the director’s involvement in cinema

ptmd

Re: 67 Kokoro

#2 Post by ptmd » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:51 pm

Terrific news, this is one of Ichikawa's most interesting early films. Ichikawa is one of the few directors who actually seemed to do some of his best work adapting major canonical works of literature, and his thoughtful treatment of Soseki's most important novel is comparable in both force and intelligence to his treatment of Mishima in Enjo. This is a very exciting, and very unexpected, announcement and I hope there are even more Ichikawa titles in the pipeline (other than the equally interesting Alone in the Pacific).

sidehacker

#3 Post by sidehacker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:47 pm

For what it's worth, Ichikawa is not mentioned in the "awful teaser" posted earlier this year.

Perkins Cobb

#4 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:37 pm

This is, unfortunately, a poor choice - one of Ichikawa's most sentimental and therefore least typical films of the '50s.

Alone Across the Pacific, however, is a terrific movie, and an excellent showcase for Ichikawa's bold use of color and off-center 'Scope compositions.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#5 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:02 pm

This has a pretty good cast -- but Mrs. I (Natto Wada) does not seem to be listed as part of the writing team (at least not according to IMDB). He involvement in a Kon Ichikawa project is usually a sign of a good script.

Perkins Cobb

#6 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Michael, yes, Kokoro really feels like ideal material for Ozu or Naruse, but indifferently handled in Ichikawa's hands. Perhaps it was Natto Wada's touch that was missed.

Cronenfly

#7 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Beaver

The transfer looks pretty fantastic to me. Bravo once again, MoC.

Tommaso

#8 Post by Tommaso » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:20 pm

Amazing! And these images look truly beautiful. Can't wait to get that one.

Jack Phillips

#9 Post by Jack Phillips » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:01 pm

Bravo, MoC. A triumph. =D>

ryan11

#10 Post by ryan11 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:48 am

The DvdBeaver caps are some of the sharpest I've seen for a film of this vintage. This film was unknown to me until announced by MOC. It's a must have, now.

This might be MOC's finest transfer to date.

arigato-san

#11 Post by arigato-san » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:01 pm

This has to be my favourite Soseki novel. I wonder how Ichikawa adapted this one. He must have stayed close to the book I think. Filmmakers tend to do that with popular literature.

Telstar

#12 Post by Telstar » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:17 am

Has anyone else actually watched this yet? Outside of the somewhat sketchy review on dvdbeaver, don't seem to be able to find much writing about the film or dvd.

tojoed

#13 Post by tojoed » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:29 am

Here's a review. It might have spoilers. There's not a great deal written about Kokoro, as you say, even in James Quandt's book about Ichikawa. I have it on pre-order, as I have never seen it, but I am rarely disappointed by the man.

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:37 am

That review is wildly wrong about the aspect ratio - it's definitely 1.33:1 (as one would expect from the period: I don't think Japan had made a single Scope film that early).

And the transfer is flat-out stunning - all but flawless source print (just a few age-related exposure fluctuations, but they're very mild), and a wonderfully sharp picture with tons of detail: I'd say this is one of the best black-and-white transfers of a 1950s Japanese film that I've seen to date. Apparently it's Nikkatsu's own transfer, which explains a fair bit.

Telstar

#15 Post by Telstar » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 am

I'd still welcome some more comments about the film itself.

JonathanM

#16 Post by JonathanM » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:16 pm

Aiiie! That's actually my review.

In my defence, I think it was the site's editor who filled in the aspect ratio. I am entirely ignorant of such matters to my great (well... maybe not that great) shame.

As I said, I think they did a fantastic job making the film look nice. The gap between Kokoro and, say, the Tartan version of Tokyo Story is just unreal. Kokoro could have been released last year.

However, the film itself is a fantastic example of refusing to cut to the chase. Having had a further think about the film post writing the review, I now realise that the homosexuality of the main character is hinted at in an early scene in which he says he wants to be alone with his student but then takes him for a drink before, awkwardly, making his excuses and leaving. The initial argument with the wife is also easily overlooked. In the booket, Rayns attributes it to just a standard marital disagreement with the wife leaping to the conclusion that there's another woman but it could be read as her reacting against him seeing other MEN. "It's not what you think!" indeed.

But even if you do interpret those two scenes as being about the main character's sexuality, you still have to bear them in mind for over an hour until the film gets to the central character's youth and his weird relationship with his housemate. A prima fascia, there's NOTHING in the film to suggest that the main character's unhappiness is down to sexual matters.

Also, in the review, I mentioned that Ozu would have done better with the source material but I forgot that Ozu was probably gay himself and, of course, Ozu was wonderfully skilled at skirting round important events in his own films, so I think film history really missed a classic when the film went to Ichikawa rather than Ozu.

feckless boy

#17 Post by feckless boy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:57 pm

JonathanM wrote:/.../ but I forgot that Ozu was probably gay himself /.../
Oh, oh.
You've unleashed hell, Jonathan - brace yourself...

JonathanM

#18 Post by JonathanM » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:08 pm

In that case I say Aaaiie! a second time.

Matt

#19 Post by Matt » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:09 pm

Let me preemptively divert the Ozugay discussion to this thread, where it was pretty well hashed out a few years ago.

MichaelB

#20 Post by MichaelB » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:21 pm

arigato-san

#21 Post by arigato-san » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:20 am

JonathanM wrote:However, the film itself is a fantastic example of refusing to cut to the chase. Having had a further think about the film post writing the review, I now realise that the homosexuality of the main character is hinted at in an early scene in which he says he wants to be alone with his student but then takes him for a drink before, awkwardly, making his excuses and leaving. The initial argument with the wife is also easily overlooked. In the booket, Rayns attributes it to just a standard marital disagreement with the wife leaping to the conclusion that there's another woman but it could be read as her reacting against him seeing other MEN. "It's not what you think!" indeed.

But even if you do interpret those two scenes as being about the main character's sexuality, you still have to bear them in mind for over an hour until the film gets to the central character's youth and his weird relationship with his housemate. A prima fascia, there's NOTHING in the film to suggest that the main character's unhappiness is down to sexual matters.

Also, in the review, I mentioned that Ozu would have done better with the source material but I forgot that Ozu was probably gay himself and, of course, Ozu was wonderfully skilled at skirting round important events in his own films, so I think film history really missed a classic when the film went to Ichikawa rather than Ozu.
The novel can be read here.

Why the main character is so fascinated with Sensei remains somewhat mysterious in the novel as well. Homosexuality seems an interesting interpretation, though that's not how I interpreted their relationship myself. The homosexuality in the relationship between Sensei and his friend seems even further stretched, but I guess it could have some interesting ideas.

Now I read Shindo made a film version of Kokoro as well, I'm curious about that one as well. Must be entirely different from Ichikawa's version.

JonathanM

#22 Post by JonathanM » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:26 pm

I took homosexuality to be pretty much a straightforward interpretation.

The student's relationship with sensei is, as you say, fascination but I think there's a hint of something more but I wouldn't say they were lovers. As for the Sensei and his friend, I think they were definitely 'up each other'. It explains the moodiness and how the friend would blow hot and cold as well as his absurd obsession with self denial and spiritual purity... clearly he was over-compensating for the 'dirty' things he got up to with his best friend. It also explains why he suddenly opted to fall in love with the girl and why sensei swooped in and gazumped him. He wanted to get away from sensei and thought that by getting married he would be free and sensei just moved to cut off that escape route.

If you read the book I'd be interested in knowing if the book is quite as evasive.

Revelator

#23 Post by Revelator » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:31 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:This is, unfortunately, a poor choice - one of Ichikawa's most sentimental and therefore least typical films of the '50s.
I couldn't agree less. The movie is restrained and at times almost Dostoevskian. It's also one of those rare adaptations that perfect captures the heart (or shall we say kokoro?) of its source material. As far as literary adaptations it's as masterly as Ichikawa's Enjo. And the film, with its emphasis on obsessed loners wracked by long-standing neuroses, fits perfectly with the themes Ichikawa explored in all of his best work, and suits him better than it would Ozu or Naruse.
JonathanM wrote:I took homosexuality to be pretty much a straightforward interpretation.

The student's relationship with sensei is, as you say, fascination but I think there's a hint of something more but I wouldn't say they were lovers. As for the Sensei and his friend, I think they were definitely 'up each other'. It explains the moodiness and how the friend would blow hot and cold as well as his absurd obsession with self denial and spiritual purity... clearly he was over-compensating for the 'dirty' things he got up to with his best friend. It also explains why he suddenly opted to fall in love with the girl and why sensei swooped in and gazumped him. He wanted to get away from sensei and thought that by getting married he would be free and sensei just moved to cut off that escape route.

If you read the book I'd be interested in knowing if the book is quite as evasive.
You know, I read this book in a college class, and we had to do presentations on it. One group got up and with bright smiles on their faces announced that they'd unlocked the secret of the book--the characters were all gay! All I could think was how reductive and dull such an explanation was.

The book isn't "evasive" about homosexuality because it's not the main issue--Kokoro is about a much deeper kind of loneliness, and deciding that it all boils down to unhappiness in sexual matters is an unsatisfying way of cutting the book and film down to size. I certainly don't wish to deny an element of homoeroticism in the character's relationships, but I suspect this is an element that exists in close male friendships even among "straight men", let alone "gay" ones.
The "hint of something more" that you detect in the sensei/student relationship might be sexual attraction, but it could just as well be a paternal one. Sensei, whose soul is guilt-ridden and corroded, responds to the innocence and youth of the student for the same reason any jaded, self-loathing person might desire the company of someone untouched by what has scarred him, someone to whom he might even confide in.
Perhaps Ichikawa did not express this element as well as he could, but K's passion for self-control and self-denial hardly seemed absurd--he is after all the son of a Shinshu priest and his moodiness is also partly due to having been disowned by his family. Additionally, his grief is less over the conflict between his religion and supposed love for Sensei than between his desire for self control versus the love he can't feeling for Ojosan. K's nature contrasts with Sensei's own venal nature, since what drives the novel is Sensei's grief over his suspicious mind, which makes him think worse of others than they really are. He does this with K, by refusing to console him and stealing away Ojosan, and this blows up in his face and leaves him with enough guilt and self-hatred to poison the rest of his life, so that he cannot even enjoy living with his wife, from whom he must conceal his guilt. He's thus left more alone than ever, and unable to fully reach the student, the on person who might have given him peace of mind, except in death, with a posthumous letter.

Again, I think it would certainly a mistake to count out an element of homoeroticism in the character's relationships, but to suddenly decide that the key to Kokoro is frustrated homosexual longing is to reduce everything down to an easy explanation and leave yourself with a reduced experience of the film. I realize how fun it is to look for repression, and nowadays we've all been trained to sniff out supposedly transgressive material, but sometimes such interpretations can flatten the film. In that respect, Kokoro reminds me of a book from my high school days, A Seperate Peace. Now, it's quite likely that on some level Gene was sexually attracted to Finny, but his actions can't simply be explained away as a thwarted desire to get in Finny's pants. It stretches farther back, to the guilt of someone who hates himself for having thought worse of a better man than himself and injured him. That is true of both books.

arigato-san

#24 Post by arigato-san » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:23 pm

It seems the character of K is not worked out very well in the film, or maybe Ichikawa was just more interested in a different part of the book. In the book the relationship between Sensei and K isn't weird at all, it's what made Sensei the way he is.

I don't think Kokoro would have been Ozu material, maybe Naruse. He would probably take out the parts he liked, instead of making a very literal adaptation. Now I think of it, did Ozu do any book adaptations at all?

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#25 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:26 pm

arigato-san wrote:Now I think of it, did Ozu do any book adaptations at all?
The considerably less successful than average Munekata Sisters. Ozu was too constricted by literary sources, he really needed to develop his own screenplays from the ground up (along with his collaborators)