BD 284 The Cat and the Canary

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Finch

BD 284 The Cat and the Canary

#1 Post by Finch » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:19 pm

Paul Leni's original silent film announced by Eureka today as their first North American title alongside Black Mask but it will also be released in the UK.

SPECIAL FEATURES
Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Graham Humphreys [2000 copies]
1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray from a 4K digital restoration of the original negatives supplied by MoMA
DTS-HD MA 5.1 score by Robert Israel; compiled, synchronised and edited by Gillian B. Anderson, based on music cue sheets compiled and issued for the original 1927 release
Brand new audio commentary by author Stephen Jones and author / critic Kim Newman
Brand new audio commentary by Kevin Lyons and Jonathan Rigby
Mysteries Mean Dark Corners – brand new video essay by David Cairns & Fiona Watson
Pamela Hutchinson on The Cat and the Canary – brand new interview with writer and film critic Pamela Hutchinson
Phuong Le on The Cat and the Canary – brand new interview with film critic Phuong Le
A Very Eccentric Man & Yeah, a Cat! – extracts from John Willard’s original play
Lucky Strike – Paul Leni gives a full-throated endorsement to the product that got him through filming The Cat and the Canary
A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Richard Combs, Craig Ian Mann, and Imogen Sara Smith

TMDaines

Re: Forthcoming: BD The Cat and the Canary

#2 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:44 pm

I thought this was quite an underwhelming start until I realised it was the Leni silent. Looking forward to this one.

What A Disgrace

Re: Forthcoming: BD The Cat and the Canary

#3 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:53 am

April 22.

• Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Graham Humphreys [2000 copies]
• 1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray from a 4K digital restoration of the original negatives supplied by MoMA
• DTS-HD MA 5.1 score by Robert Israel; compiled, synchronised and edited by Gillian B. Anderson, based on music cue sheets compiled and issued for the original 1927 release
• Brand new audio commentary by author Stephen Jones and author / critic Kim Newman
• Brand new audio commentary by Kevin Lyons and Jonathan Rigby
• Mysteries Mean Dark Corners – brand new video essay by David Cairns & Fiona Watson
• Pamela Hutchinson on The Cat and the Canary – brand new interview with writer and film critic Pamela Hutchinson
• Phuong Le on The Cat and the Canary – brand new interview with film critic Phuong Le
• A Very Eccentric Man & Yeah, a Cat! – extracts from John Willard’s original play
• Lucky Strike – Paul Leni gives a full-throated endorsement to the product that got him through filming The Cat and the Canary
• A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Richard Combs, Craig Ian Mann, and Imogen Sara Smith

Finch

Re: BD 284 The Cat and the Canary

#4 Post by Finch » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:16 pm

The artwork is a little too busy but very nice work by Graham Humphreys regardless. The extras look very solid, too. Despite being US-based, I was still able to place my order for the UK edition on Eureka's site. I was wondering if they might end that practice or introduce shipping charges but not so far.

Maltic

#5 Post by Maltic » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:39 pm

Tbh, the Leni films themselves don't actually excite me more than the Universal and Columbia programmers Eureka have also been putting out, but the extra extras and the quality of the presentations tend to make them the superior releases.

Maltic

#6 Post by Maltic » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:54 pm

For some reason, Sun Myung Moon's The Washington Times has a review of this.