Cinema Guild

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
cinemaguild

Re: Cinema Guild

#551 Post by cinemaguild » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Chatterjees, appreciate your attempt to assess the situation, but its simply incorrect. All the BD titles we have released, including the ones you cite above, have sold extremely well, especially THE TURIN HORSE, which is now in its second printing. We would not continue to put out BDs if the case were otherwise. Our next release, Thom Andersen's LOS ANGELES PLAYS ITSELF, coming out just next month, is a BD release; and 2015 will see the largest # of BD releases we've ever done, including some exciting repertory titles.

Its also important to note that we have an obligation to each of our filmmakers for their films to be released properly and profitably. The revenues these films generate allow us to release more like-minded films and most importantly allow these filmmakers to produce more work.

It's of course your choice which films and from which companies you buy, whether in the US or outside it. As we've said before, there are many great independent distributors around the world who release important works of cinema, but rather than emphasizing which one your following and which one you're unfollowing, so long as you're buying from any of them, you're continuing to support the ecosystem.

chatterjees

#552 Post by chatterjees » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:26 pm

cinemaguild, thanks for getting back to my post. I really appreciate it. Its good to know that there will be more blu-rays from you guys. I do have 3 BDs released by your company and will get Manakamana soon. So, I will keep buying BDs from your company whenever I see something of my interest. This is really great to know that The Turin Horse is a good seller. I still just wanted you to know that having a CG release of Hong's The Day He Arrives or Diaz's Norte, the End of History could have been really valuable to us.

What A Disgrace

#553 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:44 pm

Assuming that "all the BD titles we released" also includes The Strange Case of Angelica, I'm very glad to hear it sold well, because its one of my favorite items in my enormous collection of DVDs and Blu-rays, and it deserves to have sold well. Easily one of the best home video releases of a contemporary film; The Turin Horse is not too far behind. I can't wait to hear what titles next year will bring, and I want you to know that a good chunk of my recent raise in wages is going to go towards the Cyber Sale this November (if that still goes on!).

MichaelB

#554 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:59 pm

chatterjees wrote:I still just wanted you to know that having a CG release of Hong's The Day He Arrives or Diaz's Norte, the End of History could have been really valuable to us.
Yes, but would it have been valuable to them, in the sense of standing a chance of merely breaking even on the back of a considerably enlarged production budget?

And when you say "us", who exactly are you referring to, and how many copies would these people buy?

SpiderBaby

#555 Post by SpiderBaby » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:26 pm

^ I can't speak for him or anyone else, but I would buy both of those films on blu-ray. Which brings me to this question, I wonder if CG will ever go back and release a film on blu-ray, like the Hong, the Jia, the Kiarostami, etc?

chatterjees

#556 Post by chatterjees » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:53 pm

MichaelB wrote:
chatterjees wrote:I still just wanted you to know that having a CG release of Hong's The Day He Arrives or Diaz's Norte, the End of History could have been really valuable to us.
Yes, but would it have been valuable to them, in the sense of standing a chance of merely breaking even on the back of a considerably enlarged production budget?

And when you say "us", who exactly are you referring to, and how many copies would these people buy?
Oh Michael, I mentioned that in the last paragraph of my previous post. "us" means
If only 50-100 US consumers are willing to buy Diaz's Norte (digipak/limited edition or just a normal/simple edition), they are not gonna release a BD of it. This is hardcore reality and we should all learn to live with it. I would say that just save some money and get a region free player. Trust me, its your freedom, if you are a diehard fan of World Cinema.
Here is a open question to everybody. Bring your guess work. As CG is not specifically answering the question I tried to raise, let's see what we can come up with. So, will it be easier for CG to do the production of blu-rays for The Turin Horse, Marwencol, Manakamana or The Strange Case of Angelica, and not for Norte? So, are we saying that Béla Tarr, Thom Andersen or Stephanie Spray and Pacho Velez are profitable, but not Diaz or Hong? Seriously? Are we saying that a person who loves Tarr's films will not want to try his hands on Diaz or Hong? Honestly, I understand the productions issues or the "enlarged production budget" etc., but why doesn't that apply towards all these titles they are releasing on blu-rays? What kind of discrimination is that? Sorry cinemaguild, I don't have any problem with whatever is your business strategies. You do whatever you are doing, and I will do mine. I am just trying to understand your selection procedure here.

MichaelB

#557 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:00 pm

chatterjees wrote:Honestly, I understand the productions issues or the "enlarged production budget" etc., but why doesn't that apply towards all these titles they are releasing on blu-rays? What kind of discrimination is that? Sorry cinemaguild, I don't have any problem with whatever is your business strategies. You do whatever you are doing, and I will do mine. I am just trying to understand your selection procedure here.
Without knowledge of the raw figures underpinning each decision - for instance, licensing costs and other terms laid down by the primary rightsholder - there's no point in unhelpful speculation. And asking loaded and emotive questions like "What kind of discrimination is that?" is particularly unhelpful when it's aimed at a label that has consistently demonstrated its willingness to go out on a limb.

In any case, the film in question is out on Blu-ray in another territory. There are obstacles, but no serious barriers.

chatterjees

#558 Post by chatterjees » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:07 pm

MichaelB wrote:
chatterjees wrote:Honestly, I understand the productions issues or the "enlarged production budget" etc., but why doesn't that apply towards all these titles they are releasing on blu-rays? What kind of discrimination is that? Sorry cinemaguild, I don't have any problem with whatever is your business strategies. You do whatever you are doing, and I will do mine. I am just trying to understand your selection procedure here.
Without knowledge of the raw figures underpinning each decision - for instance, licensing costs and other terms laid down by the primary rightsholder - there's no point in unhelpful speculation. And asking loaded and emotive questions like "What kind of discrimination is that?" is particularly unhelpful when it's aimed at a label that has consistently demonstrated its willingness to go out on a limb.

In any case, the film in question is out on Blu-ray in another territory. There are obstacles, but no serious barriers.
My bad. I absolute agree with you. Its unhelpful. I have pre-ordered the UK edition last week.

FrauBlucher

#559 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm sure CG has blued films that did not get blued overseas. So, it kind of even's out. Be thankful for region free players.

rockysds

#560 Post by rockysds » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Cinema Guild has picked up Pedro Costa's Horse Money.

Gaddis

#561 Post by Gaddis » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:43 am

I've probably missed it, but is the Blu of Los Angeles Plays Itself region free?

cinemaguild

#562 Post by cinemaguild » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:29 pm

Yes, it's region free.

Gaddis

#563 Post by Gaddis » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:07 am

Thank you. Great to know.

colinr0380

#564 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:44 pm

rockysds

#565 Post by rockysds » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:13 pm

FrauBlucher

#566 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:32 pm

FerdinandGriffon

#567 Post by FerdinandGriffon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:04 pm

What's with the self-congratulatory copy in that article?
The trajectory of Farhadi's career demonstrates how art remains constant, and can even flourish, in the face of adversity.
Uh, no. All it demonstrates is that an Oscar nomination goes a long way in today's market.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#568 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:17 pm

Great! Let's hope that Oscar nomination goes a long enough way to merit a Blu-ray.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#569 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:58 pm

I just got my upload of Get Out of the Car, which has been online for about two years, pulled off of YouTube as Cinema Guild claimed to own the copyright. Guess that's probably coming along now, I just wonder how they cleared the rights for all the music.

warren oates

#570 Post by warren oates » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:06 pm

If they do release it, I hope they'll consider adding optional subtitles for the Spanish-language audio. I get that Andersen wants to privilege bilingual viewers but I don't see how it would harm the film to have an extra layer of meaning available, especially if it weren't the default mode and maybe not toggle-able but only accessible via a set-up menu with a note from the filmmaker about his intentions.

Gregory

#571 Post by Gregory » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:21 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how they pulled off Los Angeles Plays Itself. Wasn't the issue of rights to use all those clips the reason it wasn't commercially distributed for so long? Were there just one or two studios that were holding out and they finally gave in? I also wonder what the clearances cost. There are over 200 clips unless I'm mistaken (still haven't seen it).
Last edited by Gregory on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinemaguild

#572 Post by cinemaguild » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:32 pm

We did issue a take down notice for GET OUT OF THE CAR, but on behalf of Thom Andersen. We're not planning to release the film. Regarding, LOS ANGELES, all the clips were cleared under Fair Use. This Wall Street Journal article goes into the backstory a bit - http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-l-a- ... 1413392437" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What A Disgrace

#573 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Stray Dogs to be released on January 13 on DVD and Blu-ray.

Special Features:
· JOURNEY TO THE WEST, a film by Tsai Ming-liang (2014, 52 minutes)
· Tsai Ming-liang Master Class at the Cinémathèque Française - Blu-ray Exclusive (69 minutes)
· Theatrical Trailer
· Bbooklet featuring essay by Jonathan Rosenbaum

Please say this will be part of the Cyber Sale? Since it applies to pre-orders?

cinemaguild

#574 Post by cinemaguild » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:01 pm

What A Disgrace wrote: Please say this will be part of the Cyber Sale? Since it applies to pre-orders?
Yes. STRAY DOGS and RED HOLLYWOOD, both on pre-order, both part of the cyber sale.

adrian333

#575 Post by adrian333 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Will STRAY DOGS bluray be region free?