German Filmmuseum Edition

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: German Filmmuseum Edition

#551 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:41 pm

:shock: Sounds too good to be true.

Tommaso

#552 Post by Tommaso » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:53 pm

As I said elsewhere, if the Munich guys consider this a work in progress it will most likely take a few years until they arrive at a version they deem to be as complete as possible. And then, and only then, there might be a release via the Filmmuseum label (which is of course the obvious candidate). I'm pretty sure it will come, actually, but given all the delays with the releases they announced years ago (literally, think of the Barnet!), I wouldn't hang my hopes too high that this will come anytime in the near future. But I'm very, very glad that they're doing something about bringing this series into a somewhat presentable shape.

Grand Wazoo

#553 Post by Grand Wazoo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:04 pm

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy Filmmuseum discs? I've yet to explore their catalogue but that Kalatozov set looks great.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Tommaso

#554 Post by Tommaso » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Try http://www.jpc.de . At least with new releases, they usually have very competitive prices (and who wants to buy from amazon these days, anyhow). The Kalatozov is a must have, but I'd also very much recommend their Vertov discs, the Ruttmann set very obviously, or Kuleshev's "Po Zakonu". If you want to look further, the two Lamprecht releases as well as their Asta Nielsen discs (Pabst's "Die freudlose Gasse" !) should be extremely attractive for any silent film fan. First-class transfers of not always first-class prints (though usually more than acceptable), but that latter point must really be forgiven.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#555 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Tommaso wrote:Try http://www.jpc.de .
And compare to this.

AlexHansen

#556 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:25 am

It gets kind of lost/forgotten among all the other amazing releases but the Materialfilme disc was one of the greatest blind buys I've ever made.

Lemmy Caution

#557 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 am

Apparently I hadn't looked at this thread in slightly over 2 years. I'd love to get that Asta Nielsen set.

repeat

#558 Post by repeat » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:57 am

Keep in mind that (depending on where you are) most of the German titles are likely available at your local Goethe-Institut library - they usually have a good selection of these, and since they're relatively expensive it's nice to be able to explore some of the more obscure ones without having to blind-buy.

Out of those, I'd recommend at least Material by Thomas Heise, which along with the shorter 1980's works in that set is pretty essential if you have any interest in recent European history and/or documentary filmmaking in general; Zwischen gestern und morgen, one of the most important German post-WWII "rubble" films (along with The Murderers Are Among Us); and Nerven, which is interesting to say the least, and required viewing for anyone seriously into silents.

AlexHansen

#559 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Has anyone seen either of the films on the recent Richard Blank disc?

JimmyTango

#560 Post by JimmyTango » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:07 pm

https://www.filmmuseum.at/en/shop/three_songs_of_lenin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dziga Vertov's Tri pesni o Lenine coming in September.

JAP

#561 Post by JAP » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:34 am

And apparently another Benning: natural history / Ruhr.
Not a popular view around these parts, but the lack of Hi-Def releases of Mr. Benning's movies feels like a wasted opportunity.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#562 Post by Drucker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:02 am

JimmyTango wrote:https://www.filmmuseum.at/en/shop/three_songs_of_lenin

Dziga Vertov's Tri pesni o Lenine coming in September.
The Image went out of print and this now is listed for $100, so this is good news for anyone who needs it.

neilist

#563 Post by neilist » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Another new release listed,'Oktoberfest München 1910-1980'.
A unique collection of film documents about the Munich Oktoberfest: early silent footage and amateur films, newsreel clips and TV shows, experiments with color, 3-D, CinemaScope, and multi-channel sound - and works of New German Cinema directors like Ferdinand Khittl, Herbert Achternbusch and Percy Adlon.

foggy eyes

#564 Post by foggy eyes » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:11 pm

natural history & Ruhr is supposed to be out now, but doesn't appear to be listed on jpc yet. I'm waiting until jpc stock it instead of ordering directly from EF as it'll be cheaper -- could anyone else who's planning on doing the same thing post here if/when you see it appear on jpc? Ofc I'll do that if I see it first. Would be appreciated! :D

JAP

#565 Post by JAP » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Tommaso wrote:No, the new resto of "October" is indeed not available anywhere, and it looked pretty great in the arte transmission last year, so that's a very welcome release. Forget about any earlier releases of the film. I just can't see the sense in pairing it with "Potemkin", given that the Transit release with the Meisel score is perfectly fine. Or perhaps we're in for a surprise here, of a kind that I just can't fathom at the moment. (...)
According to the 'Restoration Row' column on the latest issue of Film Comment, the Potemkin restauration carried out by the Vienna Film Museum does indeed seem to have something new up its sleeve: a talkie! "German Sound-on-Disc Version, with synch dialogue and additional sound by Edmund Meisel".

JAP

#566 Post by JAP » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:52 pm

foggy eyes wrote:natural history & Ruhr is supposed to be out now, but doesn't appear to be listed on jpc yet. I'm waiting until jpc stock it instead of ordering directly from EF as it'll be cheaper -- could anyone else who's planning on doing the same thing post here if/when you see it appear on jpc? Ofc I'll do that if I see it first. Would be appreciated! :D
And so far is being offerd by a single marketplace seller on Amazon.de

foggy eyes

#567 Post by foggy eyes » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:03 pm

JAP wrote:And so far is being offerd by a single marketplace seller on Amazon.de
:-k Wonder why this is taking so long...

JimmyTango

#568 Post by JimmyTango » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:48 am

Wonder what happened to "Three Songs About Lenin"? Maybe a November release?

JAP

#569 Post by JAP » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:55 pm

foggy eyes wrote:natural history & Ruhr is supposed to be out now, but doesn't appear to be listed on jpc yet. I'm waiting until jpc stock it instead of ordering directly from EF as it'll be cheaper -- could anyone else who's planning on doing the same thing post here if/when you see it appear on jpc? Ofc I'll do that if I see it first. Would be appreciated! :D
In case you're still interested jpc has it for pre-order for € 19.99 with a December 12 delivery date. About to order mine together with Fragments of Kubelka!

foggy eyes

#570 Post by foggy eyes » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:59 pm

JAP wrote:In case you're still interested jpc has it for pre-order for € 19.99 with a December 12 delivery date. About to order mine together with Fragments of Kubelka!
Thanks so much for posting! Going to put in a 'pre-order' now! \:D/

Some people have already had a copy for a while...

zedz

#571 Post by zedz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:19 pm

JAP wrote:
In case you're still interested jpc has it for pre-order for € 19.99 with a December 12 delivery date. About to order mine together with Fragments of Kubelka!
I hadn't ordered anything from jpc since the beginning of the year so they sent me a concerned 'we hope you are still alive' email that included a 20% discount off anything and everything, so I had a little German blowout that included the latest batch of Filmmuseum releases (Benning, Blank and the Oktoberfest collection, which seems to include some really interesting stuff on the second disc, including a feature by resident New German Cinema wackjob Herbert Achternbusch). With the discount and the removal of VAT they came down to 13.44 apiece. So, if you haven't used jpc for a while, check your inbox / junkmail.

Edit: Just to clarify, list price on these from EF is 29.95, so the jpc price is already heavily discounted, even though they don't indicate it as such.

foggy eyes

#572 Post by foggy eyes » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:44 pm

zedz wrote:I hadn't ordered anything from jpc since the beginning of the year so they sent me a concerned 'we hope you are still alive' email that included a 20% discount off anything and everything, so I had a little German blowout
Haven't had one of those discount emails for years but thanks for rubbing it in :cry:

TMDaines

#573 Post by TMDaines » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:23 am

foggy eyes wrote:
zedz wrote:I hadn't ordered anything from jpc since the beginning of the year so they sent me a concerned 'we hope you are still alive' email that included a 20% discount off anything and everything, so I had a little German blowout
Haven't had one of those discount emails for years but thanks for rubbing it in :cry:
I last made an order with them on 21.11.2013, so hopefully I'm due one!

zedz

#574 Post by zedz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:26 pm

TMDaines wrote:
foggy eyes wrote:
I last made an order with them on 21.11.2013, so hopefully I'm due one!
I only opened it by accident, since the header was something completely innocuous like "Mr [your name here], best wishes to [your city of residence]"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#575 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:08 pm

I got one of those coupons too, though I couldn't for the life of me figure out why since all my Filmmuseum discs were purchased second-hand from board members. Turns out it was 'cause of Out 1 last year