Film Movement

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
RitrovataBlue

Re: Film Movement

#126 Post by RitrovataBlue » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Zhang’s melodramas are pretty high on my UHD/BD wishlist. It’s unfortunate that Shanghai Triad gets the upgrade first, since it’s the only one I can recall disliking. Either way, I’ll definitely be picking it up for a rewatch.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#127 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:43 am

Nanni Moretti’s Caro Diario coming to Blu next month

Aunt Peg

#128 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:02 am

Koji Fukada's A Girl Missing has been released on DVD only this month.

L.A.

#129 Post by L.A. » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:12 pm

DVD Compare reviews Raining in the Mountain.

yoloswegmaster

#130 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:23 am

Film Movement has the rights to Stanley Kwan's 'Center Stage', and the Metrograph will have digital screenings of the 154 minute cut that is sourced from a new 4K restoration.

nitin

#131 Post by nitin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:31 am

Wonderful news, assuming the restoration isnt botched.

Aunt Peg

#132 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:07 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:23 am
Film Movement has the rights to Stanley Kwan's 'Center Stage', and the Metrograph will have digital screenings of the 154 minute cut that is sourced from a new 4K restoration.
Finally \:D/

This was reported several years ago and I got to the stage of think it would never happen. Can't wait.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#134 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:41 pm

I hope they release a Blu-Ray for this....

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#135 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:52 pm

yoloswegmaster

#136 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:14 pm

Svet seems to be angry with the color timing.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#137 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:11 pm

...Based on the trailer almost solely, which is a bit slight to draw such a definitive judgment. It's not helping he's been for months now mixing up Eclair and Ritrovata, despite their gradings being both problematic but massively different. That's how he ended up ranting about Cyrano de Bergerac and Le cercle rouge, and yet, because the gradings signatures weren't that intense and the trailers weren't enough to draw conclusions.

He's also putting Hiventy in the mix, which makes it look at times like a way to pit Europe vs the world (and some of his arguments read this way because they're generalizing too much). Which is interesting because several US labs/colorists have their share of debatable gradings too.

It's also interesting to see him using the WKW restorations as exemples since he wasn't bothered by the gradings of some of them (As Tears Go By and Days of Being Wild) and that they possibly only have been scanned and restored by Ritrovata but graded by One Cool Productions instead. I also certainly wouldn't use Goodbye Dragon Inn as a reference because the grading also looks too modern at times (I can't recall who graded it, but if it's the TFI, they've been a time tutored by Ritrovata).

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Center Stage gets Ritrovata'd and that he's right since the trailer does look to bear a heavy mark of Ritrovata's grading (unlike other more in-between titles).

andyli

#138 Post by andyli » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:46 pm

There are at least two major cuts in Film Movement's new blu-ray of Center Stage, compared with the old Hong Kong blu-ray. The first cut is in the opening scene in the bathhouse, where the establishing shot is cut short to omit full frontal and back nudity of men walking past the camera. The second is more severe. About 1 hour and a half into the film, when Ruan is rehearsing her famous smoking scene alone in her room, there is an abrupt cut that eliminates a line from Tang ("What are you doing?"), Ruan blowing smoke to Tang's face, staring at Tang, and moving away from Tang, resulting in a jarring discontinuity.

A friend attending the Shanghai IFF showing told me at least the second cut is not present in the DCP. So it looks like a mistake solely on the part of Film Movement. Very disappointing.

hearthesilence

#139 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:10 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:13 pm
I had seen the Third Window Blu-Ray release of Hana-Bi a little over a year ago. I appreciated it being far beyond the quality of the old New Yorker DVD I saw in the mid-2000s, but it wasn't without its flaws. I don't have the copy to directly compare the two, but the new Film Movement release is absolutely gorgeous. The shots of the artwork are so colorful, clear and detailed that you can make out each stroke of the marker. I doubt that this will be a big seller for them (is it me or is Japanese cinema not so popular at the moment?), but I was beyond excited for this release and hopefully more Takeshi Kitano keeps coming.
Third Window's release is on sale via Arrow's Shocktober release, but after looking into this, it seems like Film Movement's disc is a noticeably better encode of the same master. (For some reason, other releases of the same restoration overseas have much worse encoding/mastering.)

Also, I noticed this was streaming on Amazon for free, albeit with ads. (I accidentally found a way around that though - I left the computer on while running errands, and I guess I must've accidentally hit "play" before I left the room because it streamed the whole film. When I went back to where I left off, I noticed it didn't run any more ads because apparently they will only play once and not play again when you backtrack.)

I think Sonatine is his best film, but I don't think Hana-Bi is anything like a step back - it's an impressive progression from his previous films, especially in the way he's put together the opening act. I have BFI's three-film set and watched those in chronological order before coming to this, and it's really rewarding to see the four films in order - he just gets better and better as he develops as a filmmaker, growing bolder with incredible assuredness.

dwk

#140 Post by dwk » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:04 pm

Film Movement has the rights to Hideo Gosha's Samurai Wolf, Samurai Wolf 2, and Violent Streets

Finch

#141 Post by Finch » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:21 pm

Violent Streets sounds great. Getting the Blu from them unless Arrow or Eureka announce it for next year.

knives

#142 Post by knives » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:18 pm

More Gosha is always a good thing.

Aunt Peg

#143 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:52 am

Film Movement have recently released Koji Fukada's The Real Thing & Cathy Yan's Dead Pigs on DVD only. Disappointing they are not get Blu Ray releases but a DVD only release is better than no release at all.

lzx

#144 Post by lzx » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:02 pm

I fear they might have given up releasing new titles on Blu altogether. Their last "current" Blu was The Wild Goose Lake more than a year ago, and every subsequent film they put out on Blu has been a pre-2000 title.

dwk

#145 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:32 pm

A poster over at the Blu-ray.com forum said FM confirmed to him that the Gosha titles are getting Blu-rays.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#146 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:26 pm

I just have to say that the news of these Gosha films is major and I'm a little surprised it's Film Movement releasing these rather than Arrow considering the long going relationship with Toei. I haven't seen the two Samurai Wolf films, but Violent Streets is one of the his best yakuza films and has an incredible cast. Bunta Sugawara is of course always incredible, but always love to see Akira Kobayashi in this part of his career as he starts to lose his boyish look for something more haggard and angrier. I hope this sets a precedent for more Gosha films to be released in the future. Major works like Goyokin and The Wolves truly need reappraisal. The Daimajin Arrow set also mentions that Robin Gatto's French language book on Hideo Gosha is also due for an English language release next year, so maybe 2022 is the year for Gosha.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#147 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:11 pm

lzx wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:02 pm
I fear they might have given up releasing new titles on Blu altogether. Their last "current" Blu was The Wild Goose Lake more than a year ago, and every subsequent film they put out on Blu has been a pre-2000 title.
Their BD releases of new titles have always been very sporadic—they didn't release any at all in 2019, just one in 2015 (Amour fou), and in no year have they released more than two. None of their three previous Fukada films were released on Blu so I'm not surprised about The Real Thing going DVD-only, and Dead Pigs is a textbook example of striking after the iron's been put back in the closet (they acquired it three years after the Sundance premiere, a year after Birds of Prey came out and more or less flopped, and a month after Mubi streamed it online worldwide). That said, I admit I'm being a bit of a Pollyanna here because I really want Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy on Blu-ray.

feihong

#148 Post by feihong » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:53 pm

Great news on the Gosha films. Violent Streets is great––really excellent performances, a lot of Gosha's anti-romantic touches (big fight in a chicken coop, if I remember right, presaging the desultory fight in a chicken coop that ends The Hunter in the Dark). The Samurai Wolf films are short and to the point. I didn't find them terribly charming, but they weren't an unpleasant way to pass some time. They have that early Gosha low-budget but very cinematic look, but they feel far less ambitious than Sword of the Beast, for instance. I recall them being low-key and mildly amusing––not like the more energetic and absorbing spectacle of Violent Streets.

yoloswegmaster

#149 Post by yoloswegmaster » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:21 pm

Film Movement have the rights to Ang Lee's 'Pushing Hands'

The Fanciful Norwegian

#150 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:29 pm

That's the second CMPC title from Film Movement (Vive l'amour will be the first). I feel like we might be on the cusp of finally getting the CMPC's Hou Hsiao-hsien and Edward Yang films in the U.S., though I'd prefer that those come from a more "deluxe" label like Criterion.