Anti-Worlds

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
lzx

Re: Anti-Worlds

#51 Post by lzx » Sun May 10, 2020 6:27 pm

Looks like Anti-Worlds' newest acquisition is Corneliu Porumboiu's penultimate feature Infinite Football. Which is a ineresting change of pace since, offbeat as the film is, few are likely to find it offensive for disagreeable!

colinr0380

#52 Post by colinr0380 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:39 am

What about those of us who hate football?

(But seriously if I could ignore my qualms for Jafar Panahi's Offside I am sure I can for this. And if it is a Porumboiu film, I am expecting it to be mostly highly intensive scenes of characters talking around a desk debating the issue from a safe distance, rather than the issue itself!)

Aunt Peg

#53 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon May 11, 2020 6:08 am

As someone who has no interest in sports I found Infinite Football was watchable. Shame it wasn't being released with Porumboiu's The Second Game (2014) which I must admit was turgid to sit through but I do like all films to have as much exposure as possible.

colinr0380

#54 Post by colinr0380 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:23 am

Maybe that could be a possibility, as two out of three of the Anti-Worlds releases so far have included a previous feature by the filmmaker on them.

MichaelB

#55 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 am

lzx wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:27 pm
Looks like Anti-Worlds' newest acquisition is Corneliu Porumboiu's penultimate feature Infinite Football. Which is a ineresting change of pace since, offbeat as the film is, few are likely to find it offensive for disagreeable!
What did you find "offensive or disagreeable" about Chained for Life, out of interest?

lzx

#56 Post by lzx » Tue May 12, 2020 6:42 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:39 am
What about those of us who hate football?

(But seriously if I could ignore my qualms for Jafar Panahi's Offside I am sure I can for this. And if it is a Porumboiu film, I am expecting it to be mostly highly intensive scenes of characters talking around a desk debating the issue from a safe distance, rather than the issue itself!)
I'd say your expectations are mostly on the money - I can only remember one scene of actual football playing in the film, and it's the one in the trailer. The Second Game, though, consists of nothing but playing, and I admittedly had to struggle to stay engaged during it!
MichaelB wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 am
What did you find "offensive or disagreeable" about Chained for Life, out of interest?
I did not actually - that joke was my attempt to summarize the board's reactions to Anti-Worlds' releases (well, really just Holiday and Relaxer) in the previous two pages, and I didn't mean for it to be mistaken for personal opinion! (For the record, I had quite a lot of fun watching Relaxer and enjoyed Chained for Life's insightful deconstruction of both the B-movie and the film-within-a-film; I have not seen Holiday.) Perhaps a better way to put what I said is that, while the three previous films were all readily marketable to fans of genre and cult films, Infinite Football seems, in comparison, a gentle and harmless film about an avuncular bureaucrat who's passionate about football - its subversiveness notwithstanding. And while no board member has expressed any objection to Chained for Life, I could easily imagine certain viewers who would be offended by its content. One needs only look back to outrageous responses to Freaks when it first came out; such attitudes have surely persisted to this day (which is ironic, of course, given that Chained for Life is critiquing the exploitative portrayals of the disabled in that very film). And wasn't Schimberg suggesting, through the film's epitaph, that Pauline Kael might be one of those viewers?

MichaelB

#57 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:28 am

Anti-Worlds have confirmed their next three Blu-ray releases:

Best Before Death (Paul Duane, 2019) - trailer
Krabi 2562 (Ben Rivers/Anocha Suwichakornpong, 2019) - trailer
Penny Slinger: Out of the Shadows (Richard Kovitch, 2017) - trailer

rapta

#58 Post by rapta » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:13 am

Nice, I'm especially curious to see Krabi 2562, but Best Before Death looks intriguing too.

I expect they'll do Dogs Don't Wear Pants in the next run, which I've heard lots of praise for (as well as Infinite Football).

MichaelB

#59 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:50 am

Full specs announced:

PENNY SLINGER: OUT OF THE SHADOWS - LE
(Richard Kovitch, 2017)

Release date: 28 September 2020
Limited Edition Blu-ray (World Blu-ray Premiere)
REGION FREE

Pre-order here

The incredible, untold story of the British artist Penny Slinger and the traumatic events that led to the creation of her masterpiece, the 1977 photo-romance, An Exorcism.

Coming of age against a backdrop of post-war austerity and the subsequent explosion of colour that characterised the 1960s counterculture, Slinger embraced her generation’s quest for personal freedom and sexual liberation, and channelled these desires into her ground-breaking collages, sculptures, and films (including collaborations with Jane Arden and Peter Whitehead). So powerful was her vision that fifty years later her work is still influencing contemporary artists.

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

• High Definition presentation
• Original stereo soundtrack
• Audio commentary with director Richard Kovitch (2020)
Conversations in the Desert: Q&A with Penny Slinger (2019, 50 mins): the artist in conversation with writer and critic Chris Campion, recorded in Joshua Tree, California
Return to Lilford Hall (2020, 5 mins): short film by Kovitch, detailing Slinger’s return to the inspiration for An Exorcism following a fifty-year absence
Lizzi Bougatsos + Kim Gordon x Penny Slinger (2019, 32 mins): live improvised musical performance against a backdrop of Slinger’s early experimental 16mm films, recorded at Blum & Poe, Los Angeles
An Exorcism: The Final Cut (1977/2020, 21 mins): video presentation of Slinger’s much sought after collection, presented in sequential order for the first time
• Theatrical trailer
Live from Miskatonic trailer: promo for Slinger’s 2019 appearance at the Miskatonic Institute, Los Angeles
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet containing new writing on the film by Chris Campion, an interview with Penny Slinger by Richard Kovitch, analyses of Slinger’s works by Alissa Clarke and Patricia Allmer, and film credits
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies

MichaelB

#60 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:54 am

Full specs announced:

BEST BEFORE DEATH - LE
(Paul Duane, 2019)
REGION FREE

Pre-order here

Twenty-three years ago, Bill Drummond ceased activities as part of the enormously successful pop group, the KLF.

Since 2014, he’s been on a World Tour, travelling around the world with his show – The 25 Paintings – visiting a different city each year. In December 2016, he based himself in Kolkata, while in the Spring of 2018, he was in Lexington, North Carolina.

In each place, he carries out his regular work, setting up a shoeshine stand in the street or building a bed in order to give it away.

He walks across the longest bridge he can find, banging his parade drum at dawn, starts knitting circles with anyone who wants to join him, bakes cakes and offers them to strangers whose houses sit on a circle he’s drawn on a map of the city.

He’s not rich, and he’s deliberately designed his actions so they cannot be monetised. He’s mostly been ignored by the art world. So what is he doing it all for? Director Paul Duane shadowed Bill Drummond for three years before starting this film in order to achieve some level of understanding of what he’s about. Co-produced by Grammy Award-winning writer Robert Gordon and shot by Oscar-nominated DOP Robbie Ryan, the documentary is a fascinating look at an uncompromising artist.

Best Before Death is named after Drummond’s belief that the World Tour, scheduled to end when he’s 72, is a race against his own mortality.

It’s a film about life, death, art, money, music, and cake. And some knitting.

• High Definition presentation
• Original stereo soundtrack
• Audio commentary with Bill Drummond and director Paul Duane (2020)
• What Is Film? (2020, 40 mins): Drummond interviews Duane for his Forty Minute Interviews project
• Deleted scenes and alternative footage (110 mins): extensive unseen footage from the film’s production
• Three Short Films from the ‘Best Before Death’ Project: Tenzing Scott Brown (2018, 3 mins), 23 Seconds with Bill Drummond in the Wig Shop (2018, 2 mins), and Big Mike and the Pike (2018, 3 mins)
• Three early dramatic works by Duane, united by their macabre themes: Ink (1988, 10 mins), Blind Alley (1992, 11 mins), and Misteach Bhaile Átha Cliath/The Dublin Mystic (1994, 33 mins)
• Theatrical trailer
• Image galleries: behind-the-scenes photography
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet containing new writing by Bill Drummond, David Keenan on Best Before Death, an interview with Paul Duane, Duane on his short films, and film credits
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies

MichaelB

#61 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:57 am

Full specs announced:

KRABI, 2562 - LE
(Ben Rivers & Anocha Suwichakornpong, 2019)
REGION FREE

Pre-order here

In the town of Krabi, a popular tourist destination in southern Thailand, the pre-historic, the recent past and the contemporary capitalist world awkwardly collide. The town’s local folklore and histories are promoted as attractions to tourists and commercial filmmakers, while the traditional labour force is muted and hidden from the tourists’ eyes. A nameless character, whose identity continually changes, explores various sites and meets people that capture Krabi in its current state. As fact and fiction merge, the mysterious woman slowly disappears into the fabric of the narrative, and time slips between ancient and modern. A dreamlike mystery, uncovering layers of Krabi to understand how humans change a landscape.

• High Definition presentation
• Original 5.1 surround sound and 2.0 stereo audio tracks
• Audio commentary with directors Ben Rivers and Anocha Suwichakornpong (2020)
• Deleted scene (3 mins)
Mahasajan Phapphyon (2020): perpetual loop of a sequence excerpted from the film
Ghost Strata (2019, 45 mins): diary film by Rivers, featuring behind-the-scenes footage from the making of Krabi, 2562
The Ambassadors (2018, 10 mins): Rivers and Suwichakornpong’s first collaboration, commissioned by the 2018 Thai Biennale
Nightfall (2016, 16 mins): short film by Suwichakornpong and Tulapop Saenjaroen, chronicling a day in the life of a nameless woman as she navigates Singapore
Jai (2007, 14 mins): short film by Suwichakornpong blurring the lines between documentary and fiction
Sound Pieces by Ernst Karel (2019, 136 mins): nine works by the sound designer of Krabi, 2562, utilising recordings made during the film’s production
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: behind-the-scenes photography
• Limited edition exclusive booklet containing writing on the film by Phoebe Campion, an interview with Ben Rivers and Anocha Suwichakornpong, notes on the short films, and film credits
• Limited edition of 3,000 copies

knives

#62 Post by knives » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:57 am

If nothing else the cover artists deserve some bonuses.

Aunt Peg

#63 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:53 am

Must admit I've never heard of any of these three titles.

jazzo

#64 Post by jazzo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:23 am

At the very bottom of the Anti-Worlds email, there was the following trailer for what I assume is one of the pictures in Phase 3. I think it looks spectacular.

https://vimeo.com/430298615?mc_cid=afe4 ... 185837a852

MichaelB

#65 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:30 am

I'm sure the answer to this must be "yes", but are there any other commentaries featuring both the director and subject of a documentary?

I've just mixed the Bill Drummond/Paul Duane one for Best Before Death, which is an absolute model of the form - and surprisingly so, because Drummond claims not only to have never listened to a commentary before but even to be previously unaware that such things existed. But he turns out to be an absolute natural, although intelligent moderation from someone who's clearly got to know him well over the last few years definitely helps!

Billy Beta

#66 Post by Billy Beta » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:52 am

I just saw that the documentary Delia Derbyshire: The Myths and the Legendary Tapes is being released by Anti-Worlds. I would assume this would be part of phase 3 or 4 Bluray releases.
If you''re in the UK it's part of this years BFI London Film Festival.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/london-film-fest ... dary-tapes

colinr0380

#67 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:16 pm

Along with the Blu-ray release of Dogs Don't Wear Pants next month, the end of May also brings Andrew Kötting's latest film The Whalebone Box, which looks to be another of his films that combine a kind of travelogue format that takes in local folktales in collaboration with his daughter, the most famous (and accessible) of which is probably still his first film Gallivant. This latest film also features Iain Sinclair, who was previously a major collaborator on Kötting's Swandown.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Finch

#68 Post by Finch » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:55 pm

From their newsletter:
NEW BLU-RAYS COMING SOON!

In January Anti-Worlds add to their library of collector’s edition Blu-rays with releases of Tim Mielant’s PATRICK and Corneliu Porumboiu’s INFINITE FOOTBALL.

Both releases are stacked with extras. PATRICK contains commentaries and interviews with the director and exclusive behind the scenes footage.

INFINITE FOOTBALL comes with the first ever UK release of the directors’ SECOND GAME - a feature length documentary made in 2015 and the perfect complement to INFINITE FOOTBALL. In pre-revolution Romania football is way more than just a game… both discs contain limited edition booklets containing new writing and info on each film.

Also – coming in Q1 2022 Anti-Worlds will release a collector’s edition of Simon Bird’s debut feature DAYS OF THE BAGNOLD SUMMER. Released to huge acclaim in 2021 this will see a world blu-ray premiere and is stacked with extra material including making of footage and interviews with the cast and crew, rehearsal footage, video essays, deleted scenes and an exclusive interview with the graphic novel’s creator Joff Winterhart. For the first time 3 of his short films are available here too.

Anti-Worlds releasing have signed all rights deals in the UK for two new films – both hailing from France. 2022 will see releases for Bertrand Mandico’s award winning psychedelic sci-fi AFTER BLUE (Dirty Paradise) from Paris based Kinology and Jean-Christophe Meurisse's savage satire and Cannes Midnight screening BLOODY ORANGES from Belgium based Best Friend Forever.

AFTER BLUE is Mandico’s second full length feature following 2017’s WILD BOYS. It’s a mind-blowing mix of gender fluid sci-fi and psychedelic visuals – a futuristic fantasy set on a feminine world. “I wanted to craft an ode to film and to actresses, a singular and universal adventure borrowing the framework of westerns, the cruelty of old fairy tales and the lyricism of sci-fi” says Mandico. A must see on the big screen.

BLOODY ORANGES has been described as “the perfect movie for a Midnight Screening, … brimming with comedy and shocking content”. Four interleaving stories veer from a critique on modern day morality, political satire and shocking and vicious horror; forcing the viewer to confront their own morality and mortality. It’s an hilarious, unsettling and unforgettable gut punch of a film. “Thought-provoking, graphic, ballsy... Imagine if Armando Iannucci made a horror film with Julia Ducournau, and then times that by ten.” Kaleem Aftab, CineEuropa

Anti-Worlds will release both films in UK cinemas next year.

colinr0380

#69 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:49 am

Interesting! I wonder if that means that Wild Boys may potentially turn up as the 'older supporting feature' on a future disc release of After Blue, as seems to be a welcome trend with these Anti-World releases.

Also interesting to note that Film4 have successfully pre-empted Anti-Worlds disc releases twice at this point, by premiering Dogs Don't Wear Pants and now Days of the Bagnold Summer on television before their disc releases were announced (though their premiere of Chained For Life this week is of course coming well after the Anti-Worlds Blu-ray came out)

Aunt Peg

#70 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:21 am

I already have the German Blu Ray edition of Days of the Bagnold Summer which was one of my favourite films from last year. I'm going to double dip for those extras alone.

colinr0380

#71 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:03 pm

Having just received the latest two Anti-Worlds releases (Infinite Football and Patrick) I thought I would update as to the region coding on the back cover for the films:

Region A, B & C:
-1: Chained For Life
-2: Holiday
-3: Relaxer
-4: Penny Slinger: Out of the Shadows
-5: Best Before Death
-6: Krabi 2562
-8: The Whalebone Box
-13: Murder Me, Monster

Region B only:
-7: Dogs Don't Wear Pants
-9: Infinite Football
-10: Patrick
-11: Days of the Bagnold Summer
-12: Earwig
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jazzo

#72 Post by jazzo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:35 pm

Thanks for the update. It really is appreciated.

Now I’ll have to wait for some fuckhead label to do a region A release

jazzo

#73 Post by jazzo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:56 pm

That came out sounding like I was attacking Anti-Worlds. Sorry. I wasn’t.

I really just trying to make a joke about how I don’t expect a region A release at all for Patrick. It just wasn’t funny.

MichaelB

#74 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:54 am

I seriously doubt that the region-locking had anything to do with Anti-Worlds themselves.

rapta

#75 Post by rapta » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:56 am

Let the Corpses Tan getting a UK Blu-ray later in the year from ANTI-WORLDS. Better late than never!

I wonder if they can include some Cattet & Forzani shorts as extras, or maybe even one of their previous features (Amer has long been OOP in the UK, and I was too slow to snap it up).